• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic, I know.. but question about Martial Law

Alexcabbie

imported post

Uh, PT: I wondered why I had never heard of the "October Crisis" at least not of 1970; and was simply aghast at myself for not knowing about the government placing an area of the country under Martial Law at the time. I mean, the damn Hippies would have been beating their shares into plowswords over that.

But as it turns out it was not OUR government but Canada. CANADA! Who gives a eff about Canada? The Autonomous Northern Zone has been seriously screwed up for a long time. The government can pretty much screw with the citizenry any way it likes and as long as they can have their Molson (and now weed, eh?) they don't really seem to give a hoot Yes the Frogs in Quebec get uppity every now and then but so far their crepes Suzzettes have been misfiring.

Canada is like an upscale version of a gigantic District of Columbia, and IMHO DC needs to have martial law imposed TO ENFORCE THE CONSTITUTION and that goes for Capitol Hill as well as City Hall.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
SNIP ...DC needs to have martial law imposed TO ENFORCE THE CONSTITUTION and that goes for Capitol Hill as well as City Hall.
Now,there is an idea.

Heh, heh, heh. Maybe its time citizens started lying to politicians. "Oh, yes, Mr. Congressman. We elected you to Congress because we want you to violate the Constitution on a regular basis."

Then, once they're all inside the District, get Maryland and Virginia to declare martial law!

:D

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Heh, heh, heh. Maybe its time citizens started lying to politicians. "Oh, yes, Mr. Congressman. We elected you to Congress because we want you to violate the Constitution on a regular basis."
Actually, that wouldn't be a lie. It would just be admitting the honest truth for a change.

Everyone who votes for Republicans or Democrats does so with the expectation that their man will violate those parts of the constitution the voter dislikes.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Actually, that wouldn't be a lie. It would just be admitting the honest truth for a change.

Everyone who votes for Republicans or Democrats does so with the expectation that their man will violate those parts of the constitution the voter dislikes.
Oh, stop knocking holes in mydaydreams. :p

Huck

imported post

WheelGun wrote:
One time an idea was to send the guys out with one round of ammo in their M-16.16. That brilliant idea was cooked up during The Rodney King Riots. I don't know if it was ever actually done that way.
I was deployed to LA during the Rodney King riots with the California National Guardand we were issued 40 rounds of ammunition for our rifles. Yeah, a whopping 40 rounds!We were were not allowed to bring machine guns (M-60s) or grenade launchers (m-203s).

Gunslinger

imported post

Huck wrote:
WheelGun wrote:
One time an idea was to send the guys out with one round of ammo in their M-16.16. That brilliant idea was cooked up during The Rodney King Riots. I don't know if it was ever actually done that way.
I was deployed to LA during the Rodney King riots with the California National Guardand we were issued 40 rounds of ammunition for our rifles. Yeah, a whopping 40 rounds!We were were not allowed to bring machine guns (M-60s) or grenade launchers (m-203s).
Keep in mind that the NG is a state, not Federal unless called up to serve on active duty, agency. Therefore, the PC does not apply. Whatever happened to the good old M-79?

MSC 45ACP

imported post

There are still a few M79's still around. There is also a cool little pistol shaped newer version of the M203. Has the M203 barrel and a pistol grip. Pretty awesome little toy. Naval Special Warfare uses them.

:)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
SNIPWhatever happened to the good old M-79?

M-79? He's being modest. Why bother with a precision instrument like a grenade, when you can deliver a Sparrow or Sidewinder, or a couple big canisters of napalm?

Tomahawk

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

M-79? He's being modest. Why bother with a precision instrument like a grenade, when you can deliver a Sparrow or Sidewinder, or a couple big canisters of napalm?

Well, Sparrows and Sidewinders are air-to-air weapons, for starters, and the Sparrow went out of style after the 91 Gulf War, IIRC.

But an AV-8B Harrier with an angle-rate optical bombing system will drop a 500-pounder iron bombright through your bathroom window...

MSC 45ACP

imported post

WAY OT here, but don't forget the F-14 BOMBCAT got quite good atthat secondary mission before it was replaced by the SuperTurd that cost a fraction as much per aircraft and in maintenance. The threat went away. So did the venerable Super Tomcat. :X

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
During and after Katrina, martial law was NOT declared here in New Orleans.
Yeah, the local constabulary just pretended that it was, and pretended to be the military to which it applied...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Citizen wrote:

I knew I didn't hate you as much as everyone else for a reason....

:p

Gunslinger

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Napalm is on the outs these days. Not a humane weapon. I guess Fuel Air Devices are, though....JDAMs and JSOWs are the new iron--but the Maverick still has its uses...:cool:

Agrippa

imported post

Article I, section 8
To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;
To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

There is no such thing as martial law, the constitution can not be suspended, only
Habeas corpus.

If anyone says other wise, they really do not know what they are talking about, and should be corrected or avoided.

Dreamer

imported post

ixtow wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
During and after Katrina, martial law was NOT declared here in New Orleans.
Yeah, the local constabulary just pretended that it was, and pretended to be the military to which it applied...
Not to mention the Blackwater troops that were called in to New Orleans as executive bodyguards for FEMA VIPs and doing "neighborhood sweeps" under DHS orders, and ISI "hired guns" to guard the private homes of New Orleans government officials and corporate bigwigs. And we won't even go into the presence of armed "troops" from DynCorp, Intercon, American Security Group, Blackhawk, & Wackenhut...

Unofficial estimates say that there were more "mercs" carrying firearms in New Orleans, post-Katrina, than uniformed troops--police and National Guard combined...

Martial Law is an out-moded way of thinking. These days, the real "powers that be" have realized that they can effectively circumvent the legal problems and reliability issues of using civilian law enforcement AND the Constitutional difficulties of using domestic military forces in such a situation. The way these matters are dealt with today--at home AND abroad--is to hire mercenaries. The privatization of military forces is just the next "piece of the puzzle" being dropped into place by those who are moving us into a "post-democratic world".

It's not the domestic military you need to be worried about if some sort of "national emergency" is declared. It's the "soldiers of fortune" who are working for a profit that you need to be worried about.

There are already municipalities in the US that are moving toward privatized police forces. Scary times, folks...