• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer Safety

gregma

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
I only did this while CC'ing, since open carrying in a waistband is just that one step closer to "time, manner, and place" for the alarm for safety of others statute.
I was going to point that out, but the "oc'ing" was specifically mentioned as being a part of the argument, and I knew you only did it CC. Thus it wasn't applicable.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Johnny Law,

I may be mis-interpreting what you write, but it does lead me to think that here might be some "embellishment" in your posts. If I am getting the wrong impression, I appologize.

No, I do not want to share my experiences, there is no way they could be along the same plane as yours for the simple reason of working in a time frame and location removed from what I would expect yours to be. I will say, I was in LE for27 years, and during that time only experienced "suicide by cop" type occurence two times. Both of which were terminated without gunfire, and one armed standoff with lots of gunfire, and no one dying.

I worked for 27 years and retired 10 years ago. In that 27 year span, I also spent 4 years on the bench as a lower court judge. That and 50 cents might buy a cup of coffee at the local shelter. It is past history.

Jim

Gray2Hairs

imported post

I am not a LEO. I was in a situation where a person I knew was being questioned by 2 LEOs and I was present talking to another officer.2 other LEOs were also on the property checking out vehicles parked there. The person I knew, Joe, had (we found out later) had stollen a number of verhicles in more than one state and was wanted in another state.

At some point in the questioning by 2 LEOs in Joe's home (I was outside talking to another officer), Joe pulled out a shotgun and shot a cop 2 times in the chest (he lived)and ran to another room while the the 2nd officer shot 3 times at Joe.

During the standoff (about 10 minutes) Joe finally decided to attempt to leave out a window in the back. As it was dark and a long way from additional LEOsand only the front of the house was actually covered by police, Joe managed to get out and as he was moving away from the house he walked within 20 feet of where I and the officer I had been talking to prior to the shooting were hiding...behind my car.

When the officer spotted Joe (still carrying the shotgun) the officer told him to stop and drop the weapon. Joe responded by raising the weapon at the officer who shot 6 shots hitting Joe 5 times in the torso.

Joe was still standing and the officer quickly reloaded his S&W 38 Spl. The officer pleaded with Joe to drop the gun because he didn't want to shoot him again. The officer tried everything he could to get Joe to surrender without additional force being used.

During the officers pleading with Joe to please drop the gun, Joe again quickly pointed the gun at the officer who again emptied his gun into Joe who finally when down. Joe died about 1 hour later.

I believe Joe decided he did not want to go back to prison and wanted to commit suicide by cop. He did a good job of creating a situation that resulted in his death.

The first office who was shot retired with serious health problems. The office who shot Joe was a really nice person who had never shot anyone before and the event was devastating for him.

Unless you are present at such an event, it is doubful that you can totally understand how quickly decisions must be made and the emotions involved. The officer who shot Joe was leaning against me to provide cover for me. When Joe brought the gun up and pointed it at the officer I felt the officers fear through my entire body.

I respect LEOs and their job far more after that event than ever before. For those who think there is always a non-violent way to handle bad guys..,.my view is Joe left the officer with no other option.

BluesBear

imported post

I really don't like the idea suicide-by-cop either. (somebody PLEASE think of a better term!)But it's not a new phenomena. I was watching the Starz Westerns channel just the other day. In one movie the bad guy forced the Marshall into one last shootout, that he knew he couldn't win, just so he could go out with guns blazing. I'm sure we've all seen dozens of movies like that. I wish someone would come up with a better name for it than suicide-by-cop. The real victim is the cop who was forced to pull the trigger. No matter what you think of policemen the one thing they don't relish is shooting people. Anyone who straps on a gun in the morning and thinks "Goody,this may be the day I get to shoot someone" is a nutjob. What anyone who straps on a gun in the morning should be thinking is, "what if this is the day I am forced to shoot someone."

Now fair is fair folks. And if I have to play Volar the Refereethen so be it.

You can go to the circus. You can ride the rides. Play the games. Eat the cotton candy. You can buy the circus t-shirt. You can then say, honestly say, been there-done that. Buteven though you stepped right into the elephant dung you still weren't IN the Circus.

Now Johnny Law didn't say that he'd been the one who pulled the trigger. You only have to be on scene either before, during or after to "have been there". And you do not have to be in a bad area to see an awfullot in a decade. Especially in recent decades. Personally I was never in a S-B-C encounter but I do know an officer who was. I was off that night. But I read all of the reports. I talked with him about it andsaw how it effected him. I talked to the other guys who were there too. Does this make me qualified to comment on the matter?I really don't know exactly how it feels. But I know enough to be thankful that I don't know more.

As for as Trigger Doc's comments of "Just too many 'been there done that' items", followed by"No, I do not want to share my experiences"? How many times have we heard about when you were "on the bench as a lower court judge"? (Remember there is a search feature) Yet I don't recall anyone calling your integrity into question. Even after we learned that your bench experience was in a different state with different laws. And you "only" did that for four years. But think about how much you DID see in those four years.I bet you saw so much that it's actually hard to remember it all, didn't you? Plus what you saw when you wore the badge. Now, like me, you're a dinosaur. But what we experienced back then is just as valid as what Johnny is experiencing today.

Yes, Johnny can be a little abrasive at times. It's a traithe shares with many of us here. It's comes with honesty. Honesty is seldom pretty. Plus, he's a copnot a novelist.He started on this forum by doing a little trolling. I think it was because he didn't quite understand what we were all about. And it took him some time to sort us all out. Now he could have just brushed us off and went on about his life. But he stayed around. He took some time to get to know and understand the various people and personalities here. And you must admit we have some characters here. He has since progressed to actually becoming a contributing member. I didn't like him at first either. Hell's Bells we still ain't busom buddies. But I do respect him. And his recent posts are much more signal and a lot less noise. And that's more than I can say for a lot of members.

We should all be thankful to have a working cop amongst our ranks. Trigger and me and a few others can only talk about the good ol' days. Look at the working LEO's on some of the other states on OCDO. At least we have one who tries to understand us. Don't we owe him the same consideration?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would be willing to bet that the number of otherwise law abiding citizens killed by cops each year probably exceeds the converse.

Johnny Law

imported post

just a guy,

Wonderful stories!............The second one sounds plausible, and the first one exists onlyin your overactive imagination.

I suspect that you took exception to the fact that the term oc'ers, and suicidal were used in the same sentence. Had you been reading all the posts, you would have saw the one that read; Let me also add that these people are in no way related to a typical oc'er. But from an Officer's point of view, approaching an obviously armed andupset person is hazardous.You just can't know what they have just gone through, or their mindset at that moment.

Attempting to belittle someone you don't even know is rather childish, as is namecalling. Spelling words correctly (snipper, poped)would also lend some credibility to your knowledge background.

Have a nice day.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I have had some PM communications with Johnny Law, and the issue is resolved as far as I am concerned.

I offered an appology and it was accepted.

From the pm's I would suggest that we give him a better chance. It appears that I have met him face to face, but do not remember the meeting as it was at the gunshow, and there were a BUNCH of people asking about the OC sign on my table.

Jim

Trigger Dr

imported post

I have had some PM communications with Johnny Law, and the issue is resolved as far as I am concerned.

I offered an appology and it was accepted.

From the pm's I would suggest that we give him a better chance. It appears that I have met him face to face, but do not remember the meeting as it was at the gunshow, and there were a BUNCH of people asking about the OC sign on my table.

Jim

what2watch4

imported post

To quote, "Being involved in vehicle accidents causes more injuries and deaths to police than firearms ever will"

2007 161 Officers killed in the line of duty. 59 by gunfire; 44 by vehicle accidents

2006 147 Officers killed in the line of duty. 50 by gunfire; 35 by vehicle accidents

2005 159 Officers killed in the line of duty. 53 by gunfire; 33 by vehicle accidents

2004 162 Officers killed in the line of duty. 55 by gunfire; 34 by vehicle accidents

2003 147 Officers killed in the line of duty. 47 by gunfire; 40 by vehicle accidents

2002 159 Officers killed in the line of duty. 57 by gunfire; 37 by vehicle accidents

2001 242 Officers killed in the line of duty. (number higher due to the tragedy of the Twin Towers) 65 by gunfire; 34 by vehicle accidents.

2000 163 Officers killed in the line of duty. 50 by gunfire; 37 by vehicle accidents.

Total number killed during that time just by gunfire, not to include knives, vehicular homicide, death by assault; poisons, is 436 Officers.

Information was obtained at ODMP.com. It does not give statistics of those officers who suffered injuries from automobile accidents and gunfire.

Number of Taxi cab driver's killed in the UnitedStates from 2000-2007by any means that inflicts death 289.taxi-library.org

carhas0

imported post

what2watch4 wrote:
Information was obtained at ODMP.com. It does not give statistics of those officers who suffered injuries from automobile accidents and gunfire.

It's http://www.odmp.org. The .com site is spam, be careful.

ETA: Also, I believe that site requires someone to submit the officers, and thus may be incomplete. A better source would be the FBI's statistics, which have been quoted numerous times before, and may show a different trend because they are more inclusive.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

what2watch4 wrote:
To quote, "Being involved in vehicle accidents causes more injuries and deaths to police than firearms ever will"

2007 161 Officers killed in the line of duty. 59 by gunfire; 44 by vehicle accidents

2006 147 Officers killed in the line of duty. 50 by gunfire; 35 by vehicle accidents

2005 159 Officers killed in the line of duty. 53 by gunfire; 33 by vehicle accidents

2004 162 Officers killed in the line of duty. 55 by gunfire; 34 by vehicle accidents

2003 147 Officers killed in the line of duty. 47 by gunfire; 40 by vehicle accidents

2002 159 Officers killed in the line of duty. 57 by gunfire; 37 by vehicle accidents

2001 242 Officers killed in the line of duty. (number higher due to the tragedy of the Twin Towers) 65 by gunfire; 34 by vehicle accidents.

2000 163 Officers killed in the line of duty. 50 by gunfire; 37 by vehicle accidents.

Total number killed during that time just by gunfire, not to include knives, vehicular homicide, death by assault; poisons, is 436 Officers.

Number of Taxi cab driver's killed in the UnitedStates from 2000-2007by any means that inflicts death 289.taxi-library.org

So what? I said deaths and INJURIES.

And it doesn't make the MsM's top 10 list for dangerous jobs.

John Hardin

imported post

BluesBear wrote:
The real victim is the cop who was forced to pull the trigger.
Agreed; just like big rig drivers and people who intentionally cross the median to collide head-on with them. Maneuvering somebody else into killing you because you don't want to do it directly to yourself is despicable.

what2watch4

imported post

I do apologize I was unable to obtain any information on injuries as of yet. You are correct it was not on the Top10 list you quoted. I shall refrain from providing information not directly related to the topic at hand.

BluesBear

imported post

This foreum has a wunderful bilt in speel chek feeture. If fact its one of hte very few foreums that dose. I wander why dont moore poeple use it?

Dave_pro2a

imported post

just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
Because wez like to showz how smart we be withouts it.

Because you have to download additional software.

I click on it and get redirected to a different website to download something. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather just misspell stuff ;)

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
As a side-note, until I had a holster to OC my G27 (in condition 3) in, I had to "mexican carry" it in my waistband, but I did so with it in the 6-O-clock position, RH-palm-in-draw, which allowed the ejection port to positively engage my belt and didn't go anywhere, even when jogging or biking. I only did this while CC'ing, since open carrying in a waistband is just that one step closer to "time, manner, and place" for the alarm for safety of others statute.

But, even though I waistband-carried, I was still one of the "GG's" and did so responsibly. Essentially, I'm trying to say that that manner of carry doesn't automatically make someone a "BG".
Carrying Glocks in the waist band is an excellent way to shoot yourself. That weird trigger gets caught on the waist band or the belt and the Glocksgo BOOM. Happened a couple of years ago to a jailer in Shelton, Wahington, FYI the bullet hit his femeral artery and he was dead before anyone got to him to try to help. It's happened to others too.

Bear 45/70

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
BluesBear wrote:
The real victim is the cop who was forced to pull the trigger.
Agreed; just like big rig drivers and people who intentionally cross the median to collide head-on with them. Maneuvering somebody else into killing you because you don't want to do it directly to yourself is despicable.
I have a problem with anyone that becomes a cop and then is "upset" because he had to shoot someone in the line of duty. He is either a moron or a nitwit to not realise this maybe required of him as part of the job.

carhas0

imported post

If there is no round in the chamber, there will be no BOOM when the trigger is pulled, no matter what brand of gun it is. Then of course there's the debate about carrying chambered, but there are always trade-offs. When carrying IWB sans holster, the necessity to avoid an ND makes it worth it to carry without one in the chamber.

Johnny Law

imported post

just a guy, with a Glock wrote:
With respect to being a poor speller proneto mistakes when I type a bit too fast, I plead guilty. That in no way diminishes my ability to spot a security guard that likes to think of himself as "law enforcement". I owned a security company for 10 years and had to fire guys like you frequently. I can spot you guys a mile away. Probably have an old auctioned off police car with a K-40 trunk mounted scanner that you use on "patrol" and for special operations (like trips to the gun range in full tactical gear).

With respect to the gas station incident I tend to believe the clerk as during the Beltwaysniper incident the Feds were all over Fairfax County. Several of the murders actually occurred at gas stations and folks were a bit unnerved. The guy was no undercover thats for sure, just like you are no cop ! One of these days you will impersonate a policeofficer at the wrong time ,to the wrong person and then your security license will be toast. You will be lucky to get a job at Walmart as a greeter.

Stay warm in that office building tonight !
Well it appears that you have disclosed your "profession". YOU are the security guard!

If you fire guys like me frequently, then you have delusions of being a Police Chief, since last time I checked, That is the only person who canfire a cop. Unlike you, I don't have to worry about impersonating, and I have no security license. Tell me, do security licenses comewitha free wannabe cop badge? I'll bet you have a fine collection of them.

Alas, I only have my Dept. issued patrol car, but my radio is capable of scanning most other Dept's. If I choose. My tac gear is kept in the trunk, with all the rest of my gear. I do need to clean the trunk as it is getting rather cluttered though.

I'm not sure which office bldg. you refer to, as Idon't work in one. In fact I haven't even done an off duty job in an office bldg. Most of my day is spent in the car.

I hope this clears up some of your issues. If you need any other fantasies dispelled, please let me know.