• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK I am going to Work Source. They say they can not help me.

rcw_violations

This is one of those situations where the SAF would be very beneficial as they have the backing and legal resources to drop the hammer on this and get it resolved.

This state agency is not going to want to fight SAF on this issue. The reason why is because ESD has undergoing serious budget cuts, and reorganizations. People in this agency are busy trying to save their own jobs. Getting sued and being made a poster-child for idiocy in front of the legislature is not on their agenda.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
From Attorney Mark Knapp (Federal Way, WA)

http://markknapp.multiply.com/journ...tate_Agency_Protesting_Violation_of_State_Law

Dear Mr. Nacht:
David Poling has contacted me in order to respond to your e-mail dated April 2, 2009 relating to signs posted on the premises of Employment Security Department Offices in violation of the above referenced state firearms preemption statute that states as follows:

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.
Notwithstanding Title 50 RCW, the Department does not have the authority to enact rules that conflict with the Revised Code of Washington; i.e., RCW 9.41.290. RCW 9.41.300 which specifies locations that are off limits to visiting members of the public while otherwise lawfully carrying weapons. Cherry v Metro authorizes the Commissioner to promulgate workplace rules that only apply to employees of municipalities and government agencies.

The fact that you have cited RCW 9A.76.180 raises the issue of how a criminal statute that deals with intimidating a public servant relates to prohibiting members of the public from carrying a firearm in a public facility in a manner that is not otherwise unlawful.
As Mr. Poling has already informed you, State v Spencer and State v Gregory Casad stand for the principle that it takes more than merely carrying a weapon to constitute intimidation even where the weapon is in plain view of the public. Thus, even the displaying of a weapon in public only becomes illegal where there is intent to create fear. Since it appears that the sign of which Mr. Poling complained has already been removed, all of the above may be moot.
These are not merely academic questions, however. Many cities and branches of state government have been quietly subverting the clear intent of the above referenced legislative enactments. We urge you to consider the effect of illegal rules and regulations that inhibit law abiding members of the public from exercising the duty to protect our families from violence. The effect of inhibiting lawful carrying of weapons can only make public places more dangerous due to the foreseeable threat constituted by a person or persons that may enter “gun-free” premises and start shooting at members of the public and public employees.
Such a situation creates a dual risk to your Department. The legal liability resulting from violation of RCW 9.41.290 combined with the state’s failure to protect the Department’s customers from foreseeable harm is worth discussing further with the attorney general’s office and other legal counsel available to the Department. See also Attorney General Opinion 2008 No. 8 - October 13, 2008.
Thus, we share the Department’s concerns about safety. Nevertheless, the pattern for most shootings that occur in public places is that the shooter(s) seek out places that are considered No Gun Zones to commit gun crimes. The recent shooting over the weekend in Binghamton, NY demonstrate that, if an armed citizen had been present to confront the perpetrator, the loss of life might have been significantly less. Please note that an armed volunteer in Colorado church, Jeanne Assam, engaged a killer and stopped an attacker that had already killed four and certainly was prepared to kill many more.
The sign posted by the Department send the wrong message to those that abide by the law; the violent criminal will not obey the laws and exploit the opportunity for violence created when law abiding citizens obey your signs- signs that violate RCW 9.41.290 or create a chilling effect for legally armed citizens entering the premises.
Appropriate signage should include language such as “No Weapons; except as otherwise permitted by law”. Such language is already posted by public transit authorities in places such as the light rail that operates in Tacoma. Please consider this alternative in weighing the above referenced issues and let us know whether we can assist you in any way to clarify our position or provide further information. Mr. Poling is very concerned about many of the same issues that you are no doubt attempting to confront in formulating your risk management policies. Although honest differences of opinion will often exist, the legislature has already preempted opinions that conflict with the preemption statute within the field of firearms policy on and within public premises. Please call me if you wish to discuss these matters.

Sincerely,

Mark S. Knapp
Mark S. Knapp, Attorney at Law

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There was no response from John Nacht, ARM Risk Management Program Administrator of the Employment Security Department replying to the letter.

The next step would to have the financial backing and then of course plaintiffs to go through the process as with the Seattle Parks Case.

Who was it just this year went into a Work Source, open carried and had no issue? M1, Gogo?

Last edited:

joeroket

I would really like to know the legal theory behind the contention that 9.41.290 applies to state agencies.

Probably because nothing in Title 50 or Title 34 gives the ESD commissioner the authority to ban guns from the offices. Heads of state agencies are bound by RCW's for the making and implementation of rules. Nothing I have ever read in them gives any agency head the authority to ban firearms.

tombrewster421

Probably because nothing in Title 50 or Title 34 gives the ESD commissioner the authority to ban guns from the offices. Heads of state agencies are bound by RCW's for the making and implementation of rules. Nothing I have ever read in them gives any agency head the authority to ban firearms.

What? You mean the state has to follow its own laws? (sarcasm)

MadHatter66

I am not sure why, or where I picked it up... But wasn't there a decision with WDF&W that had to do with state agencies being able to make rules, and that because they are "The State of Washinton" or an entity thereof, they were exempted from state preemption... I don't know why I seem to remember that one...

I might be completely wrong though... Wouldn't be the first time, nor the last time that's happened... :rolleyes:

joeroket

I am not sure why, or where I picked it up... But wasn't there a decision with WDF&W that had to do with state agencies being able to make rules, and that because they are "The State of Washinton" or an entity thereof, they were exempted from state preemption... I don't know why I seem to remember that one...

I might be completely wrong though... Wouldn't be the first time, nor the last time that's happened... :rolleyes:

They are a little different. Since they deal in hunting and firearms then they can create rules that relate to the use of firearms for hunting purposes.

deanf

But this has nothing to do with the state preemption argument that people are making.

Why does 9.41.290 apply to state agencies when state agencies are not specifically mentioned in the list of entities that are preempted?

Focus like a laser beam on 9.41.290, please.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
But this has nothing to do with the state preemption argument that people are making.

Why does 9.41.290 apply to state agencies when state agencies are not specifically mentioned in the list of entities that are preempted?

deanf I agree with you, it is not about Preemption when it comes to State Agencies.
Our legislatures enact the laws with in the borders of Washington State, then at some point the department heads were given Rule-making authority over their departments and some have brought some gun prohibitions in the back door sort of speak.
I believe this is why we have some of our guns laws outside RCW 9.41.

rcw_violations

9.41.290 is completely irrelevant because ESD does not rely on this as a justification for illegally barring citizens from Work Source centers. Instead, ESD intentionally misinterprets the RCW 9.41.270 brandishing statute to achieve their locational ban. Take a look at the sign again.

attachment.php

NO Firearms / Weapons In Accordance To RCW 9.41.270

jddssc121

^^^This

Like it or not, the state does not preempt itself. Since this is a state agency, they are allowed to make this rule. All 290 says is nobody EXCEPT them can make rules.

Jayd1981

^^^This

Like it or not, the state does not preempt itself. Since this is a state agency, they are allowed to make this rule. All 290 says is nobody EXCEPT them can make rules.

But where would the state agency get authority to ban firearms? Last I checked only congress can pass laws, and there is no law prohibiting someone from lawfully carrying a firearm in a worksource building.

deanf

But where would the state agency get authority to ban firearms? Last I checked only congress can pass laws, and there is no law prohibiting someone from lawfully carrying a firearm in a worksource building.

This is why we need an AG's opinion narrowly tailored to the constitutional question. And before McKenna gets elected governor and we get a democrat AG!