• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK, who dropped their gun in Alberston's last night?

amlevin

imported post

Thundar wrote:
This thread is not abou HiPoint, but about dropping guns in public places.

It may not be a Hi-Point thread, other than the fact it was a Hi-Point that was dropped. On that note, Hi-Points are often bought by people looking for a real inexpensive (often described as cheap) gun and won't spend the necessary money to properly secure it. Even when carried in a purse it would be wise to secure it in a holster that is secured to the inside of the purse. Also makes it more readily available.

adamsesq

imported post

Regardless of what type of weapon it was, things like this are a serious blow to gun owners as a whole and give the anti's a lot of ammunition against us.

Granted that just dropping it is not likely to cause it to go off, but a weapon floating around without the trigger covered by a proper holster holds a good chance of having the trigger bumped by something and going off. And even if it doesn't go off, can you imagine the testimony in front of the legislature from a store owner saying "We don't want people carrying in our store. One day one of these gun people just plain old dropped their pistol right in the middle of busy store and it slid across the ground where any kid could have grabbed it." That would not be good.

-adamsesq

amlevin

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
"We don't want people carrying in our store. One day one of these gun people just plain old dropped their pistol right in the middle of busy store and it slid across the ground where any kid could have grabbed it."

Probablywould a run on Charmin sales.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree that such an accident is one of those rare incidents that get latched onto by the anti-gunners and get made into an over-generalized huge thing. To have your pistol in such a condition of carry that it can just fall onto the floor in a public place is not IMO responsible carrying of a firearm.

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Some people bash Hi Points just because they can't grasp that a sub $200 handgun is any good. It's a snob thing.

You are probably right to a degree,

They are not of the quality of other guns, but there is a law of diminishing returns. How much more are you willing to pay for a little more reliability?

As a group, they will have more problems than say a Taurus of a Springfield, but what if you buy a Hi Point that works flawlessly, and your friend buys a Springfield that has problems, then you got the much better deal.

There will be problems with a limited number of all gun makes, it really is a crap shoot.

All kidding aside, if you want firepower and don't have the bucks for Kimber, there is always Hi Point and most do work just as designed.

You could say the same thing about a Bersa Thunder. I know a guy who bought one and after about 8 rounds it jammed and he could not un- jamb it. Yet there are millions of Bersa Thunder owners who are perfectly happy.

We take a chance with any gun we buy, some just are a little bigger risk than others.

David.Car

imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Some people bash Hi Points just because they can't grasp that a sub $200 handgun is any good. It's a snob thing.
You are probably right to a degree,

They are not of the quality of other guns, but there is a law of diminishing returns. How much more are you willing to pay for a little more reliability?
I'm sure there is a "snob" thing to it.

What I tend to believe though is look at 2 things. You current income, and what your life is worth.

I think my life is worth as much as I am able to spend on a firearm without losing food, shelter, electricity, car payments and such.

Now if in your case and your financial situation, all you can afford after everything else is a Hi-Point. Than go for it. Something is always better than nothing.

But I don't think anyonecan justify trusting aHi-Point over a Glock, or a Sig if there life was on the line.

bluer1

imported post

But I don't think anyonecan justify trusting aHi-Point over a Glock, or a Sig if there life was on the line.
Don't forget H&K USP :celebrate

Nitrox314

imported post

Bobarino wrote:
fess up. was it someone here? as i was picking out my box of Theraflu (dang head cold) i heard a clank as someone dropped something. i turned around and there was a Hi-Point pistol laying on the ground. the lady carrying it quickly snatched it up and she and her male companion quickly scooted themselves out of the store.

i just chuckled a little and thought, wow, that must have been a little embarrassing. maybe you should look into a good holster?

was it anyone here?

both myself and the guy standing next to me saw it and neither one of us cared. this was the Albertson's on Canyon Rd and hwy 512.

Bobby
I actually had this happen to me once. Luckily it was in the park at night when I was walking my dog. The screw in the back of the Uncle Mikes Kydex Paddle Holster for my P99 came out and the thing swung upside down and fell right out of the holster. The holster was still attached to my belt. I was CCing. I didn't OC with that holster because its so easy to pull the pistol out. And I don'tkeep it chambered since there is no saftey on it.I couldn't imagine that happening in the store though! Poor lady.

Hcidem

imported post

cynicist wrote:
jchen012 wrote:
Wow I'm suprised it didn't go off, being a Hi-point :p
How serious are you about that? I carry a HP C9.

I am sure jchen012was just baiting us Hi-Point carriers, looking for a bite (and he got a few :D). But seriously, these inexpensive semi-autos have some nice basic features, including a drop safety mechanism.

Now, I would not advocate testing the integrity of the drop safety, but I am glad to know my C-9 has that feature.

Hcidem

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Don't forget H&K USP

I would easily trust my life to a Hi-Point. In a room full of pistols, I would always choose a Hi-Point (of any caliber). This is because Iknow Hi-Points. I don't know Glocks, Sigs, or H&Ks. I am more concerned with my own limitations than with those of my C-9.

Hi-Point controls are easy, and I know how to use them safely. Hi-Point reliability is well documented by those who actually shoot them.The level of accuracy is not match level, but it exceeds most people's expectations.

A pretty gun in a pretty holster cannot save anyone if the owner doesn't know his equipment. Expensive or affordable..."ya gotta know the territory!"

Lastly, if I run out of cartridges in a shoot-out, I might even be able to glean a mag off a BG. :shock:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Lastly, if I run out of cartridges in a shoot-out, I might even be able to glean a mag off a BG. :shock:

OR... throw it at the BG, those things weigh a ton....

Gives a whole new meaning to 'head shot'.....

The Glock looks like a brick, the Hi-Point IS the brick....

:celebrate

Hcidem

imported post

bluer1 wrote:
Don't mind me, I'm an HK addict...
No offense taken, for sure. Gotta love anyone who is devoted to knowing their equipment.

TechnoWeenie wrote:

OR... throw it at the BG, those things weigh a ton....

Gives a whole new meaning to 'head shot'.....

The Glock looks like a brick, the Hi-Point IS the brick....

If it looks like a tactical advantage, and smells like a tactical advantage, I'll take it.

Perhaps that will compensate for the slightly larger bullet spread. ;)