• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrier's gun seized after DUI arrest. Police won't return

b0neZ

Why should he have to? No bill of sale is required in Washington. We need to stop catering to the police and allow them to do whatever the hell they want to. Let's say I am arrested for something and the police take a diamond ring off my finger. When I am released, do I have to prove ownership of the diamond ring to get it back? No. All I have to do is sign a receipt for the return of my ring. The gun should be no different. The owner of the gun will have to file a motion with the court to order the police to return the gun to them. There is a case somewhere on this forum where a forum member had to do exactly the same thing, the court ordered the gun returned, and the police, after several more weak excuses at delays, finally returned the gun to them.

I never said he had to. A bill of sale isn't required here either, and the only place where there is registration of any sort outside of paperwork kept on file if bought from an FFL (4473, register receipt) is the "Blue Card" setup in Clark County (Las Vegas). I understand that we shouldn't have to pander to the police to make them do what should be done by law, I was just thinking of a way to expedite the process so he doesn't have to wade through a possible sea of bureaucratic paperwork and waste time with the court trying to get back what was already rightfully his, but I'm sure even then the police would find a way to stall as long as possible.
Thank you for your explanation and example.

amlevin

We need to stop catering to the police and allow them to do whatever the hell they want to.

You could always sue them. It would either put a stop to the practice or smoke out what law they are allowed to do so under.

As for your "diamond ring" analogy, it may come to proving ownership when people start killing people with diamond rings ;)