• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and Tattoo's.

Patriot2A

I don't have any tattoos currently, mainly because I enlisted in the Marines. I do however plan to get a few. And when I do they won't be seen in my normal attire. What Eye said is very important, people DO notice, and if I want to get a good job after the Marines it would be better if none were seen. My dad is the manager of a bank in the orange/charlottesville area and he won't hire anyone with visible tattoos. Not because he particularly dislikes them, but because he knows customers will, and he doesn't want to lose business over it.

TatManDo

I've got several tats on both arms, inside and outside of forearms, and I OC a gun and extra mag everywhere I go in NC, no issues other than "Hey that's a cool tattoo!" from people at cash registers. I do see people glance at the gun, but nobody has ever run away. I am a jeans and t-shirt guy also, I do not look like a cop at all.

stainless1911

Banned
tat.jpg

WisconsinPI

So, I have been CC'ing for years now, never really considered the OC as an option. I am Asian and I am tattooed to my wrist, granted, my right arm is a strong representation of the Gadsden Flag with thirteen rattles and over one inch tall letters stating "DONT TREAD ON ME" I know I have been treated differently because of being inked in many other circumstances, IE profiled, and feel that I would see more "attention" then I really want to have to deal with from LEO's and sheeple if I open carried.

So, what I am getting at, do you foresee any "issues" for someone in my situation? Discussion?

Thanks in advance.
Ronin

Yep, i now have a full sleeve on left arm, and my first stop occurred today, i used to wear khakis and polos, no tats visable, then when i wear jeans and a tshirt with tats, i get nailed after a 2 block walk, total discrimination. they use the cop or no cop judgement, i used to get passed off as maybe he's a cop, now they think oh he's definatly not a cop, even though most of my cop buddies have the same amount of tats and the undercovers or narcotics officers i know look 50 times worse than me, needless to say they can and do conceal.

Wolfgang1952

I don’t have any ink, but I do ride. I’ve OCed for a wile now. Been riding for 40+ years. Know how the cops work, was one, got tired of the ********. I carry a pocket full of LOCAL (Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League) flyers.

003.jpg

waterfowl woody

Yes sooner or later.

I have tats. the reason I got tats is for the meaning and do not care what people say. In that said I am sure you proudly recieved your tats for the same general meaning. Do you hide your tats and are you scared if someone asked you about them. I didn't think so. wear the gun the same way you were your tats, with PRIDE! sooner or later someone will stop and ask you something about everything.

zack991

Folks do notice.

Folks will pass judgment based on what they notice.

Use those two bits of absolute truth as you will.

Agreed, but those who do pass judgement with no facts are just as bigoted as those who do the same because of skin color.

eye95

Agreed, but those who do pass judgement with no facts are just as bigoted as those who do the same because of skin color.

Disagree. One set of people are passing judgment based on evident deliberate behavior. The other is passing judgment based upon genetics over which the judged person exercised zero control.

Not justifying either, but there is a HUGE difference. To say otherwise is to cheapen the horrific treatment that blacks in this country have experienced. I loathe comparisons between racism and other forms of judgment with which some disagree.

ABNinfantryman

If you'd asked this twenty years ago I'd have said you can expect trouble no matter where you go. Now, now you have little teenagers talking their parents into letting them get tattoos. I thought about getting a tattoo, then thought better of it and realized I wanted to be an individual in the sea of posers that is my generation.

OldCurlyWolf

Disagree. One set of people are passing judgment based on evident deliberate behavior. The other is passing judgment based upon genetics over which the judged person exercised zero control.

Not justifying either, but there is a HUGE difference. To say otherwise is to cheapen the horrific treatment that blacks in this country have experienced. I loathe comparisons between racism and other forms of judgment with which some disagree.

DITTO!!!!:mad:

JBarL

Well I wanna post something here seeing how we are on something about look bare with me ya'll but I just had to paste this.

THE BIKER

I saw you, hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line.
But, you didn't see me, put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.

I saw you, pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk.
But, you didn't see me, playing Santa at the local mall.

I saw you, change your mind about going into the restaurant.
But, you didn't see me, attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you, roll up your window and shake your head when I rode by.
But, you didn't see me, riding behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you, frown at me when I smiled at your children.
But, you didn't see me, when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you, stare at my long hair.
But, you didn't see me, and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.

I saw you, roll your eyes at our leather jackets and gloves.
But, you didn't see me, and my brothers donate our old ones to those that had none.

I saw you, look in fright at my tattoos.
But, you didn't see me, cry as my children were born and have their name written over and in my heart.

I saw you, change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.
But, you didn't see me, going home to be with my family.

I saw you, complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.
But, you didn't see me, when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you, yelling at your kids in the car.
But, you didn't see me, pat my child's hands, knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you, reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.

But, you didn't see me, squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you, race down the road in the rain.
But, you didn't see me, get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.

I saw you, run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.
But, you didn't see me, trying to turn right.

I saw you, cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.
But, you didn't see me, leave the road.

I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.
But, you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you, go home to your family.
But, you didn't see me. Because, I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker. A person with friends and a family.
But, you didn't see me.

Now with that said to me it doesnt matter if the person is covered in tattoos or whatever their race is everyone is human we all bleed red. What gets me is everybody is so hell bent on looks but deep down its the inside that counts. JMHO

S.Officer

So, I have been CC'ing for years now, never really considered the OC as an option. I am Asian and I am tattooed to my wrist, granted, my right arm is a strong representation of the Gadsden Flag with thirteen rattles and over one inch tall letters stating "DONT TREAD ON ME" I know I have been treated differently because of being inked in many other circumstances, IE profiled, and feel that I would see more "attention" then I really want to have to deal with from LEO's and sheeple if I open carried.

So, what I am getting at, do you foresee any "issues" for someone in my situation? Discussion?

Thanks in advance.
Ronin

I OC when at work because I have no other choice, I'm a Security Officer.
I have a very visible Tattoo on my neck that clearly shows while On Duty or Off Duty.
Never attempt to hide it. It's part of me it's who I am.
I've never had a problem with LEO's eyeballing me.
It's usually inquisitive unarmed civilians asking if "my gun is real etc".

If you ask me what do I think if I was OC-ing out of uniform?
One of my friends have thick long dreads and she's a COP!!
Does that mean she's less of a COP than her colleagues?
There's a fire fighter I see with sleeves on both arms and on his neck.
Does that mean that I will be burnt to a crisp if he attempts to out my house fire?

People stereotype regardless.
If you feel you want to OC, use your discretion and OC if that's the choice you make.

Last edited: