• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry as a deterrent to crime

molonlabetn

imported post

les_aker wrote:
Sorry, but put my vote for no "police video cameras" on our streets and in our neighborhoods.

Yeah... I'll go along with increased surveillance in public placesabout the time I let them implant a GPS locater under my skin...

:uhoh:

Either way, this guy will be dancin' :celebrate

OCed H and K

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Wait, Charlottesville... Isn't that where VCU is? :what:

Yeah, I a friend of mine asked me to go with her (for whatever reason) on the campus tour.

Saw a mugging, two stripped down bicycles chained to street signs, two drug deals, a Buick break down in the middle of the road, and when I asked two of the tour givers why they were carrying bike seats... "Because I don't want it to be stolen."

This was the OFFICIAL campus tour mind you.

Edit: I can't spell Charlottesville...
[/quote]

VCU is in Richmond, I believe the schoolyou'retalking about isUVA.

AbNo

imported post

openryan wrote:
Sounds like video cameras around town would not be a bad investment.

In some bad areas around here they have mounted police cameras with some type of flashing light so people notice them, they have only been in place for a few years, but the crime rate has gone down noticably in the immediate areas surrounding the cameras.

By no means should this be the only step, but I do think it may help people to decide not to commit a crime if they know they are being videotaped.

Lovely.

Britain's had this for a while, too.

Along with a total gun ban.

I vote not gonna feckin' happen...

leprechaun117

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
...SNIP
home to one of Charlottesville's worst "projects," Friendship Circle. It used to be called Garrett Square...
SNIP...

Did they change the shape too?:banghead:

sadly no.... It'sa large complex (I believe a whole block?) comprised of many apartment buildings all connected by tall steel fences. Only one or two ways in and out, and no way to run if someone is looking for you. There's nothing else on that road, it just connects two semi major downtown streets (Market and Avon.) I'll drive through later this evening and check it out, it's been years since I actually went inside.

And OCed is correct, Charlottesville is home to UVA. We only have rapings and kids brandishing BB guns to worry about on campus :? UVA is like 8 or 10 blocks from Garrett, through Cherry Avenue, another area of town where the stores all have barred windows and there's cops parked on the corners waiting for something to happen.

DeadCenter

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
...SNIP
home to one of Charlottesville's worst "projects," Friendship Circle. It used to be called Garrett Square...
SNIP...

Did they change the shape too?:banghead:

sadly no.... It'sa large complex (I believe a whole block?) comprised of many apartment buildings all connected by tall steel fences. Only one or two ways in and out, and no way to run if someone is looking for you. There's nothing else on that road, it just connects two semi major downtown streets (Market and Avon.) I'll drive through later this evening and check it out, it's been years since I actually went inside.

And OCed is correct, Charlottesville is home to UVA. We only have rapings and kids brandishing BB guns to worry about on campus :? UVA is like 8 or 10 blocks from Garrett, through Cherry Avenue, another area of town where the stores all have barred windows and there's cops parked on the corners waiting for something to happen.

leprechaun117-- Being new to the area I have two questions.

Are these streets you mention near the downtown mall (Pavillion area)?

My in-laws are going to C'Ville. Can you reccomend a good safe hotel near the mall?

Thanks

DC

67GT390FB

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:

i'm sure its a nice place it like the omni are within one block of the downtown mall. they are also both within 3 to 4 blocks from the hood. take a look at mapquest for 200 w south st and zoom in to the 3rd or 4th zoom level and click the aerial option.

in the lower right corner you will see an apartment complex bordered by garret,2nd,6th, and monticello ave. this is the hood. the big building between the csx tracks, water st and 2nd and fourth st is the water street parking garage.

the mall is e main st pretty much from where water street vears off and just past 5th st. they closed it off to car traffic and turned it into a pedestrian mall. the omni is the large building in the angle formed by main st and old preston ave. If i had a choice i would pick the omni as it is better lighted and on the more travelled paths. South st is a little dark at night or at least it was when i used to go drinking down there.

Joe

DeadCenter

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
DeadCenter wrote:

i'm sure its a nice place it like the omni are within one block of the downtown mall. they are also both within 3 to 4 blocks from the hood. take a look at mapquest for 200 w south st and zoom in to the 3rd or 4th zoom level and click the aerial option.

in the lower right corner you will see an apartment complex bordered by garret,2nd,6th, and monticello ave. this is the hood. the big building between the csx tracks, water st and 2nd and fourth st is the water street parking garage.

the mall is e main st pretty much from where water street vears off and just past 5th st. they closed it off to car traffic and turned it into a pedestrian mall. the omni is the large building in the angle formed by main st and old preston ave. If i had a choice i would pick the omni as it is better lighted and on the more travelled paths. South st is a little dark at night or at least it was when i used to go drinking down there.

Joe

Thanks

DC

leprechaun117

imported post

and don't forget that the Omni is right next to the Federal Court building... can't hurt its safety. As said above, The Omni is directly on the mall, where as south street is one block off, in the direction of garrett. There are also several good hotels down near UVA, but I wouldn't recommend walking from them to the mall after dark (one of the recent muggings took place on this route.) The mall has bike cops, the Corner has walking cops, and everything else is car patrols... which you don't see many of. I question the "increased police presence" in the downtown area. I have been down there for the past few nights and have not noticed any change at all. You rarely see any cops driving around, even in the garrett/warehouse districts.

DeadCenter

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
and don't forget that the Omni is right next to the Federal Court building... can't hurt its safety. As said above, The Omni is directly on the mall, where as south street is one block off, in the direction of garrett. There are also several good hotels down near UVA, but I wouldn't recommend walking from them to the mall after dark (one of the recent muggings took place on this route.) The mall has bike cops, the Corner has walking cops, and everything else is car patrols... which you don't see many of. I question the "increased police presence" in the downtown area. I have been down there for the past few nights and have not noticed any change at all. You rarely see any cops driving around, even in the garrett/warehouse districts.

Thanks -- I think they are seeing their way clear to stay at the Omni.

DC

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Seems like nobody likes my idea of video camera, although it was just a suggestion.

I am not in favor of public survellience, but these people bring it about themselves in the way they act.

And to say that having cameras leads to a gun bad, is a slippery slope, it doesnt have to happen or even in that order.

I believe open carry, can co exist with public survellience.

LEO 229

imported post

I never understood why some did not like the streets to be video taped.

I am all for it since it does deter crime (Slightly) and it helps to catch the bad guys if the camera detail is good.

People are being video taped every day already. When they walk inside and outside Target, Banks, 7-11, Gas Stations,and most other large stores. Plus.. ATM machines are always running.

It is because it is a government agency? I am sure a private business can have far more fun putting up video of you on YouTube.

What is the big secret? Are they scared big brother is going to watch them pick their nose and put it on TV? Maybe theyfear abad hair day? :lol:

tattedupboy

imported post

openryan wrote:
Seems like nobody likes my idea of video camera, although it was just a suggestion.

I am not in favor of public survellience, but these people bring it about themselves in the way they act.

And to say that having cameras leads to a gun bad, is a slippery slope, it doesnt have to happen or even in that order.

I believe open carry, can co exist with public survellience.
In a word, "HELL NO!" We're living in the United States, not George Orwell's Oceania. The idea of cameras on every street corner seems too Big Brotherish to me. If we want less crime, we need to stopmaking the criminal justice system a revolving door forcareer criminals and end this madness of plea bargaining. Yes, more jails will need to be built to alleviate the overcrowding problem, but, together with armed citizens, longer jail sentences (with no plea bargaining) are the best deterrents to crime that I can think of.

vrwmiller

imported post

I prefer educating citizens on their personal responsiblity and right to self defense over increasing public serveilance.

72Malibu

imported post

The Omni is really nice, our company has their Christmas party there every year. I haven't ever been able to see the rooms, but the little bit I did get to see (lounge, restrooms and private banquet hall) were really nice, and right at the end of the downtown mall just near the ice skating rink.

I've never been down on the mall much in the evenings, never in the late evenings, there are enough freaky people down there in broad daylight for me.

LEO 229

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
In a word, "HELL NO!" We're living in the United States, not George Orwell's Oceania. The idea of cameras on every street corner seems too Big Brotherish to me. If we want less crime, we need to stopmaking the criminal justice system a revolving door forcareer criminals and end this madness of plea bargaining. Yes, more jails will need to be built to alleviate the overcrowding problem, but, together with armed citizens, longer jail sentences (with no plea bargaining) are the best deterrents to crime that I can think of.

YourNOT going to get MORE jails... I can tell you that right now. They are expensive to build, man, and pay for every year.. unless you do not mind paying more in taxes.

When you put one guy in.. someone has to get out to open up a bed. So criminals are going to get out early and plea deals are going to be worked that involve less time for some crimes.

So, setting aside "keeping criminals in jail" for a moment....

In some locations.. like DC.. crime is out of control and the only thing they can do is put more cops on the street. They did this recently and crime dropped 10% with the extra officers. But DC cannot afford to payfor those cops working overtime plus the more needed out there.

The alternative is to have several cameras in high crimes areas that can be monitored by a small number of officers or even civilians since no powers of arrest are required. The officers working the street can be dispatched to the area of interest instead of wondering around aimlessly as we do now.

Excellent physical descriptions can be obtained and transmitted to the officers. And a bonus is that the subjects faces can be captured and broadcast on the news.

It is in the best interest of the public if the criminals can be quickly caught and taken out of circulation.

I am not sure what the problem is with "big brother" watching you walk or drive down the street. Seems pointless to me. Are they going to dispatch officers to come get you? For what!?

Seriously... What is the real threat to the public? I am interested in hearing.