• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at a Place of Worship: Can they ask you to leave?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why hasn't this cull been sterilized to cleanse the gene pool? Last thing we need is Idiot Joe III.

Think he has all girl chillins - might have something to do with what is in his genes. :uhoh:

Things could be worse though.......you could be assigned to provide security for him :lol:

va_tazdad

Think he has all girl chillins - might have something to do with what is in his genes. :uhoh:

Things could be worse though.......you could be assigned to provide security for him :lol:

Tim Kaine was bad enough. I would have to refuse that assignment. (Something I have never done before)

Firearms Iinstuctor

My buddy and I rode motorcycles to a Mennonite church one Sunday, on a trip. His bike is REALLY loud and windows were open, so they heard us coming no doubt. We were met in the parking lot by three guys. Asked if we were welcome and if the service was in English. Yes to both. We went inside and sat down, men on one side, women and small children on the other. After the service we were kind of surrounded by the men, got asked a lot of questions. All very friendly and genuine I thought. Felt kind of like they were protecting the womenfolk from us a little. We got asked over to a Deacons house for lunch, but declined. I kinda wish we had gone, would have been interesting. We were unarmed. I don't think they got many visitors.

My wife is from a Mennonite back ground I have attended many a Mennonite church service with her parents in Indiana. They know I am always armed. They have not asked me not to carry (most likely they know it well not do any good) I have had many a discussion with her father and other relatives.

Mennonites are strictly pacifists her father told me that I shouldn't shoot a bad guy if one would show up at one of their services I have attended. I just smile knowing that I would use the means at hand to protect my family.

I have always felt very welcome at their church and talk with many of the members, friends and my wife's relatives there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firearms Iinstuctor

If you wore a suit and tie to our church most would suspect you were the guest speaker, or at least you might get asked to pray! I'm "over dressed" with a sport jacket and jeans. I've noticed lots of hanging out shirts lately. Personally, I think that looks sloppy, but whatever, I think guys do it to try and hide their gut. I've decided to mostly open carry instead of changing the way I dress, with church being the one exception.

I also have heard the security thing, I'm heading to you if something happens, I feel safer when your around, etc. I try to tactfully comment that I'm responsible for my own and my families' safety. I do consider my church to be my family, so there is maybe some grey area there I suppose? I hope it never comes to that, but I don't think you want to try and steal the offering in our church. I was talking to another guy last Sunday about exactly that, at the first shot it's going to be mass confusion I suspect.

I find this topic of a lot of interest and look forward to seeing where it is going! Thanks for asking the question.

I am the main greeter/usher all are regular members know that I am armed every Sunday and have told me more then once that they appreciated it. I encourage others to carry and know that some do.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I agree with you there. In this case however I'm dealing with many people who were not born here and don't fully understand the principle of the right to free speech let alone the right to keep and bear arms. In all likelihood they've had to deal with secret police and are fearful of people exercising their rights because doing so back in their home countries was generally accompanied with torture, detentions, exile and summary executions.

I'll tread lightly and make it easier for them.

Probably a smart move. You will be in a position to educate, at some point, but it's probably best, given the audience, to become a known quantity first. Given the political climate, I can certainly understand apprehension. Best of luck to you.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Depends. First, a request may be denied. A demand by a person in charge of the property cannot be denied. So that sort of depends on who's in charge. Some churches of the congregational flavor are owned and operated by the congregation as a whole, so every member can make his own decision whether to stay or go, regardless of any other member's feelings on the subject. The hierarchical forms of organization place the local bishop or priest firmly in charge of the property, and the "members" have no rights at all. Some in the middle have a governing body, vestry, board of elders, or whatnot which would have to act collectively by resolution to make such a demand. Upon lawful demand that a person leave private property, a failure to do so is criminal trespass, a class-one misdemeanor.

The statute that prohibits possession during services within the ecclesiastical structure does provide the exception "for good and sufficient reason", which really means that if you have any unlawful intent in bringing in the gun, that's a crime but if it's just to, as the Boy Scouts say, "be prepared", it's "good and sufficient".

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
LOL! Haven't visited your local mosque, I see?

I wish they were okay with bringing my AK there, that would be awesome.

Just as long as you don't bring it to any birthday parties/wedding celebrations. :uhoh:

stay safe.