• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Baraboo Wisconsin

scorpio_vette

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
Do you mean "Leaving out the retired law enforcement" part when I encounter the police, or from this forum? I understand that OC is for everyone not just former law enforcement, which is great.

Don 

if somebody approaches you and asks why you are carrying, then i would leave it out. the way people think, if an employee/manager/random person asks you, and you answer like that, then they might turn it around and say: "so i met a guy carrying today and he said that it's ok for retired law enforcement to open carry". well obviously that's not what you said, but that's what they "heard" and told others. know what i mean??? people tend to hear what they want, not what somebody actually said.
if it was me personally, i would even leave it out when approached by police. don't take this the wrong way, but making the remark to other police is kind of a double edge sword. on one hand it maybe be taken by some that by you saying that you are trying to play the whole "hey we are friends i am/was a cop like you" card to get out of any harassment. on the other hand, if the cops actually do treat you better BECAUSE you said you were a cop, then that would also be wrong, because they should treat ALL law abiding citizens equally regardless if you are/were/or-are-not a cop.

as far as you being a cop/ex-cop on the forum or otherwise, we have no problem with that. if anything, we welcome it. we already have to many cops against us as it is, so any cops we have working with/for our cause is very nice and welcomed.

hardballer

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
cowboyridn wrote:
Do you mean "Leaving out the retired law enforcement" part when I encounter the police, or from this forum? I understand that OC is for everyone not just former law enforcement, which is great.

Don 

if somebody approaches you and asks why you are carrying, then i would leave it out. the way people think, if an employee/manager/random person asks you, and you answer like that, then they might turn it around and say: "so i met a guy carrying today and he said that it's ok for retired law enforcement to open carry". well obviously that's not what you said, but that's what they "heard" and told others. know what i mean??? people tend to hear what they want, not what somebody actually said.
if it was me personally, i would even leave it out when approached by police. don't take this the wrong way, but making the remark to other police is kind of a double edge sword. on one hand it maybe be taken by some that by you saying that you are trying to play the whole "hey we are friends i am/was a cop like you" card to get out of any harassment. on the other hand, if the cops actually do treat you better BECAUSE you said you were a cop, then that would also be wrong, because they should treat ALL law abiding citizens equally regardless if you are/were/or-are-not a cop.

as far as you being a cop/ex-cop on the forum or otherwise, we have no problem with that. if anything, we welcome it. we already have to many cops against us as it is, so any cops we have working with/for our cause is very nice and welcomed.

Well spoken Scorpio_vette. I second that and would like to say welcome to our ranks, cowboyridn. We are glad to have you on board and look forward to meeting you at one of our get-togethers in the future.

hardballer

Hostilefreak

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
I was walking last sunday and stopped in a gas station while OC and the store attendant called the cops and they stopped me wile I was within 917 feet of a school zone. I was hand cuffed and they took my hand gun and checked my pistol serial number, however I was not arrested. Tonight I walked into Walmart after work and again the cops were called and I was stopped outside of walmart by the police and questioned. I was told that they would keep responding when ever they get called.

Don
Wow it's nice to hear someone from my city actually open carried. I think we're the only two members from Baraboo on here. I'm only 20 and too paranoid to open carry. Wal-mart and Menards are probably the two largest businesses to open carry inside here in Baraboo. Did you get cuffed by the sheriff or the Baraboo police? If I had to guess you were at the BP viking gas station by east school.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum cowboyridn...

Keep up the good fight! Don't let them deter you...

Carry On!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
The problem with getting a cc from my former employer, the Federal Prison is they won't issue it to me period, it don't matter where I get the training from, they don't want the liability associated with issueing a cc card. I wrote letters to all the police department in Madison when I lived there asking if they would train me and issue me a cc card and they refused for the same reason. I even wrote the the AG and they responded stating that they cannot issue me a cc either. So, here we sit as retired law enforcement cought in a loop hole. i was hoping the improvement act would pass which would allow us to get trained anywere and get our cc.

Don
So far Van Hollen has issued at least 18 certifications to retired federal officers. Check back with the AG's office because someone is feeding you a line. You do have to have had the firearms training in order to get the certificate.

"In June 2008, my agency, the Department of Justice, became the
December 10, 2009
first state law enforcement agency to issue certifications, and we’ve lawfully issued 18
certifications to retired special agents to date."

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi

OCglock1988

imported post

im not positive but i think that special agents are the ones who go undercover and that sort of thing. most likely DEA or ATF. I read a book recently about an undercover operation within the hells angels called" no angel". pretty badass book anyway but the guys were ATF special agents.

LOERetired

imported post

Looks likeAssembly Bill 473 and 474 have been Referred to joint committee on Financeon 2-16-10. When this bill passes, then I can get my cc.

Don

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
"In June 2008, my agency, the Department of Justice, became the
December 10, 2009 first state law enforcement agency to issue certifications, and we’ve lawfully issued 18 certifications to retired special agents to date."
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/news/files/2009AB474TESTIMONY.pdf

issued 18 certifications to retired special agents to date.
What/who is a special agent?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ damn the Obamanation and its thug unions.

A "Special Agent" is Wisconsin Dept of Justice employee with law enforcement authority. It includes detectives, drug undercover, arson investigations, internet stings. Its about as close to the FBI (but not paid as much)as you can get aswithout being a federal employee in Wisconsin.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dms/emp_opp.asp

safcrkr

imported post

A friend of mine retired from the WI DOJ at the end of last year. He was one of those "special agents" -- arson investigator/fire marshall, amongst other criminal investigations.Because his last official firearms qualification was just before he retired, he got his J.B. Van Hollen issued CCW permit immediately upon retirement. I have actually seen, with my own eyes, one of those 18 WI issued CCW permits. Looks like a drivers license. Has his picture on it, and has the word "RETIRED" in big bold letters on the front. On the back, it lists the pistol (complete with serial number) that he is allowed to CC. That's right... he can only carry certain guns, those that he "qualified" with. He qualified with his state issued weapon, and also with his back-up/off-duty carry gun (a compact Kahr). He had to turn in his duty weapon when he retired, but the Kahr is his, and as it was the only gun he qualified with, it's the only one his permit allows him to CC. He wasn't aware of this when he took his last qualification test, or he would've brought more guns :)... which is what he intends to do next time he has to re-qualify to keep his CC permit, which is once yearly.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

So a corrections officer is pretty much out of the question, of being issued a concealed carry permit under LEOSA by AG VanHollen and his DoJ?
No, Corrections Officers meet all requirements of the Federal law. Even Statutory powers of arrest.

They are protected under the federal law HR 218 even if the state law does not recognize it. They need only meet the definition of a Law enforcement officer under the federal law.

Yooper

imported post

cowboyridn wrote:
Is it 1000 feet from the property line or the school? If it was the property line, I was closer then 917 feet. The oficer used a lazer range finder and pointed at the school, he had a direct line of site to the school.

Don
From the property line

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I am guessing he fired his laser range finder from 33, right down Hill St at Gordon Wilson Elemetary. If his range finder measure 917 feet from the building, you were actually aprox. 820 feet from School property.

You were safe until you hit Connie Road heading East.

Kwik Trip is 1600+ feet, so WhyTF did they call the police?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I am guessing he fired his laser range finder from 33, right down Hill St at Gordon Wilson Elemetary. If his range finder measure 917 feet from the building, you were actually aprox. 820 feet from School property.

You were safe until you hit Connie Road heading East.

Kwik Trip is 1600+ feet, so WhyTF did they call the police?
More than likely Kwik Trip called in the MWAG call. The cops probably sat back and watched him walk into the SZ.

They did not make an arrest but did take your property and run the numbers.

Basically they were registering your firearm to you in their records.

Here is a question for Doug, Can the OP file a request to have the serial Number of his firearm removed from the departments records?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Here is a question for Doug, Can the OP file a request to have the serial Number of his firearm removed from the departments records?
Not through any mechanism of which I am aware. If it was covered by some privacy provisions, perhaps, but neither police records nor firearms data are covered by a privacy provision.

This is why our Right to privacy is so precious, the bell cannot be unrung.

Remember when the Bell was the Liberty Bell, now the aphorism rings the bell of tyranny?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Not through any mechanism of which I am aware. If it was covered by some privacy provisions, perhaps, but neither police records nor firearms data are covered by a privacy provision.

This is why our Right to privacy is so precious, the bell cannot be unrung.

Remember when the Bell was the Liberty Bell, now the aphorism rings the bell of tyranny?
+1000

LOERetired

imported post

In this situation, the police had reason to believe I was commiting a crime because I was close to a school, so they had probable cause to detain me. I was taken into custody and hancuffed, that is when they took my gun and ran the serial nuber. I had no way of preventing them from doing that.

I was lucky I wasn't arrested for being within 1000 feet of a school, or I would have been another person chalanging the constutionality of such a law. The second time I was stopped after shopping at Walmart, the Officer stated that as long as they get called, they would respond.

If this is whats going to happen everytime I carry, that I'm going to be subjected to being detained and questioned then I am going to end up retaining an attorney and have the attorney write the Baraboo police department a letter stating that any further harrassment and detention of my client will result in an action for harrassment, this should stop them from responding everytime they get called about me carying.

Don