• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Events?

Leverdude

imported post

I think you are over thinking it. Nobody is going to show up & ask to see permits if a handful of citizens shows up & just starts picking up trash.
Asking if there were ordinances against guns at the beach was a good idea though.
Now that you have the PD's blessing on that count I'd think you could just get together with a bunch of nearby folks & do it if you wanted.
If you cant clean up trash you can have a simple picknick.

gluegun

imported post

Congress shall make no law ... abridging ... the right of the people peaceably to assemble
First Amendment, United States Consitution

The citizens have a right, in a peaceable manner, to assemble for their common good, and to apply to those invested with the powers of government, for redress of grievances, or other proper purposes, by petition, address or remonstrance.
Article First, Section 14 - CT State Constitution

it cannot now be doubted that a city owns and its officials administer its streets and parks, not as private proprietors, but as trustees for the people. While streets and parks are to be administered primarily for the use of the people for travel and recreation it is equally certain that, consistent with such uses, the public places of a city must be open for the use of the people in order that they may exercise their rights of free speech and assembly.
Hague v CIO

The right of peaceable assembly is a right cognate to those of free speech and free press and is equally fundamental.
De Jonge v. Oregon incorpoating the 'right to assemble' against state and local governments.

They can't stop you from meeting at the beach or any other public land as long as you are peaceful. Other laws may apply (such as Disorderly Conduct for obstructing traffic)

Since they're already aware, I don't know that I would hold any event there, but it could certainly be used as a meeting place for a group of friends.

Chubs2287

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
I think you are over thinking it. Nobody is going to show up & ask to see permits if a handful of citizens shows up & just starts picking up trash.
Asking if there were ordinances against guns at the beach was a good idea though.
Now that you have the PD's blessing on that count I'd think you could just get together with a bunch of nearby folks & do it if you wanted.

That is what I would have said, but it does not change the fact that they know our intent and are requiring a permit.

If someone else would like to give it a shot then by all means do. I am happy with doing a picnic if anyone is interested.

Also I wouldn't call it a blessing seeing that it said it had to be concealed when on the beach, even though it is contradictory to the law.

I thank everyone for their support and help in the matter and hope we can do something for the movement soon.

Chubs2287

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Congress shall make no law ... abridging ... the right of the people peaceably to assemble
First Amendment, United States Consitution

The citizens have a right, in a peaceable manner, to assemble for their common good, and to apply to those invested with the powers of government, for redress of grievances, or other proper purposes, by petition, address or remonstrance.
Article First, Section 14 - CT State Constitution

it cannot now be doubted that a city owns and its officials administer its streets and parks, not as private proprietors, but as trustees for the people. While streets and parks are to be administered primarily for the use of the people for travel and recreation it is equally certain that, consistent with such uses, the public places of a city must be open for the use of the people in order that they may exercise their rights of free speech and assembly.
Hague v CIO

The right of peaceable assembly is a right cognate to those of free speech and free press and is equally fundamental.
De Jonge v. Oregon incorpoating the 'right to assemble' against state and local governments.

They can't stop you from meeting at the beach or any other public land as long as you are peaceful. Other laws may apply (such as Disorderly Conduct for obstructing traffic)

Since they're already aware, I don't know that I would hold any event there, but it could certainly be used as a meeting place for a group of friends.
Gluegun, I always look forward to reading your posts as they are really informative.

I have given up on West Haven for various reasons and do not deserve our support.

I hope we can do some other event as in a picnic or OC dinner. If anyone is interested lets start planning one right now.

Chubs2287

imported post

Well for one I had permission. Then someone printed the flyer from this website and sent it to them. Then I get an email from the parks and rec saying I have to get a permit. I call the department and talk to the director. He then started to give me tons of things I have to do in order to hold the event, aka stonewalling me.

Intent= Intent to hold a trash pick-up, and has nothing to do with it being Open Carry. They said anyone who wishes to hold a trash pick must apply. I go to University of New Haven and they are holding an event really soon and they had to apply. The director also said they do not need more people picking up trash as there have been a number of trash pickups recently, and we should not have one.

Chubs2287

imported post

Because they had a flyer for my event saying it was posted all over, when in reality I only posted it on this website. They knew everything about it. I am just going by what the director said to me over the phone.

Leverdude

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

That is what I would have said, but it does not change the fact that they know our intent and are requiring a permit.

If someone else would like to give it a shot then by all means do. I am happy with doing a picnic if anyone is interested.

Also I wouldn't call it a blessing seeing that it said it had to be concealed when on the beach, even though it is contradictory to the law.

I thank everyone for their support and help in the matter and hope we can do something for the movement soon.

Just about any cop you ever ask will say you need to conceal your gun unless you push the issue. Even once they know the law they bank on us not knowing it & most of us dont.

Leverdude

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
Because they had a flyer for my event saying it was posted all over, when in reality I only posted it on this website. They knew everything about it. I am just going by what the director said to me over the phone.

I'm not surprised that officials are aware & watching this forum. Who knows, maybe the state or DPS gave West Haven a heads up.