• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in New Mexico

MrGlock

imported post

I met a guy there who claimed to know the owner, this was years back. As far as I know, as long as its at least 1000 yards outside of city boundaries, if the owner lets you shoot, then you can shoot.

priller

imported post

Interesting....

Anyone know any law that talks about if you are shooting in an otherwise legal area, that you must be 100 yards (or some other distance) away from a residence?

Just trying to get all this info out there, so we know where we can shoot legally.

JP

MrGlock

imported post

I just noticed you are from Rio Rancho... have you been shooting at the end of southern? The far west side of southern? It used to be open years ago, then I was told it was shut down by county sheriffs. Do you know if they ever reopened that area?

priller

imported post

Hey MrGlock, no I go to a spot that is much further north. I live around Unser and King, then I head out west on King till Rainbow, then a right on Rainbow for a mile or two, then left into an arroyo.

From a map I have seen, the spot is just outside of city boundaries.

JP

SpaceCase

imported post

priller wrote:
Interesting....

Anyone know any law that talks about if you are shooting in an otherwise legal area, that you must be 100 yards (or some other distance) away from a residence?

Just trying to get all this info out there, so we know where we can shoot legally.

JP

As I posted in the other thread re Bernalillo County:
It is not legal to target shoot anywhere in Bernalillo county that is not an established range:

Sec. 54-31. Discharge of firearms prohibited; exceptions; penalty for violation of section. (a)It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm in the county. This section does not prohibit discharge of a firearm by:
(1)Peace officers engaged in the performance of their official duties.
(2)Members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard when such members are engaged in the performance of their official duties.
(3)Persons exercising their rights of defense of self, property or others.
(4)A person in attendance at an authorized hunter's safety course or an authorized handgun safety course.
(5)A person engaging in the use of a firearm for target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body.
(6)A person engaging in an organized competition authorized by the local governing body.
(7)A person pursuing legal hunting or trapping activities.
(b)Upon conviction of a violation of this section, the weapon or firearm shall be forfeited to the sheriff's department by order of the court.
(c)Violations of this section are punishable as provided in section 1-6.

And re Sandoval County:
SANDOVAL COUNTY ORDINANCE NO. 03-06-05.14A
Discharge of firearms is not legal in the area of Sandoval County extending north from the Sandoval County/Bernalillo County line to Highway 550, extending west to the Rio Puerco and extending east to the municipal limits of the Town of Bernalillo and the City of Rio Rancho (excluding municipalities and tribal lands).

Link:
http://www.sandovalcounty.com/Ordinance/Firearms.html

-Space

Shark8

imported post

Sec. 54-31. Discharge of firearms prohibited; exceptions; penalty for violation of section. (a)It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm in the county. This section does not prohibit discharge of a firearm by:
(1)Peace officers engaged in the performance of their official duties.
(2)Members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard when such members are engaged in the performance of their official duties.
(3)Persons exercising their rights of defense of self, property or others.
(4)A person in attendance at an authorized hunter's safety course or an authorized handgun safety course.
(5)A person engaging in the use of a firearm for target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body.
(6)A person engaging in an organized competition authorized by the local governing body.
(7)A person pursuing legal hunting or trapping activities.
(b)Upon conviction of a violation of this section, the weapon or firearm shall be forfeited to the sheriff's department by order of the court.
(c)Violations of this section are punishable as provided in section 1-6.

This may be invalid in and of itself, the State Constitution [Art 2, Sec 6] reads:
No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms. (As amended November 2, 1971 and November 2, 1986.)

SsevenN

imported post

Getting back on topic...

This past saturday I open carried while doing a MAJOR recycling run, (A couple years worth of glass and aluminum) Plenty of people around, no one batted an eye, just a few hellos and smiles. ( I was Openly carrying my CZ 75 SP01 with two spare mags, in my custom leather holster from Highnoonholsters)

Then I went straight to the Farmington Tea party afterwards, stayed for about an45 minutesand saw many other OC'rs, didn't have the time to get any decent pictures but it was a great time.

(If you look closely at the pictures you can spot a few sidearms, and I missed my chance to snag a picture of 4-5 OC'rs hanging with a local Police officer)

load4.jpg

load1.jpg

load5.jpg

I'm Ringo

About Albuquerque

I will be TDY to Kirtland AFB up in Albuquerque for 4-5 months. Since New Mexico does not recognize Indiana carry permits, my only option while there will be open carry. I like to know the law beforehand, but since I was having trouble accessing the applicable state statute online, I decided to call. So I called the New Mexico office that deals with open and concealed carry. I explain my situation to the agent and that I am looking to read the law before I come out there. Agent Numbskull's response is that I shouldn't carry, especially with what is going on out there. I asked him about what was going on out there, and he responded with 'same as everywhere else, the gun stuff.' Confused yet? After another 30 seconds or so of him explaining how open carry is bad, and me still not getting the slightest bit of information from him, he hangs up.

So, in light of that, I have a few questions:

1) Could anybody help me out with the New Mexico statutes and any Albuquerque ordinances?

2) Could anybody tell me if this ignorant guy is at all representative of the attitudes and knowledge level regarding open carry among LEOs that I am likely to encounter in Albuquerque?

3) Any particular tips or information on carrying in New Mexico and Albuquerque?

Thank you very much!

AH.74

I will be TDY to Kirtland AFB up in Albuquerque for 4-5 months. Since New Mexico does not recognize Indiana carry permits, my only option while there will be open carry. I like to know the law beforehand, but since I was having trouble accessing the applicable state statute online, I decided to call. So I called the New Mexico office that deals with open and concealed carry. I explain my situation to the agent and that I am looking to read the law before I come out there. Agent Numbskull's response is that I shouldn't carry, especially with what is going on out there. I asked him about what was going on out there, and he responded with 'same as everywhere else, the gun stuff.' Confused yet? After another 30 seconds or so of him explaining how open carry is bad, and me still not getting the slightest bit of information from him, he hangs up.

1) Could anybody help me out with the New Mexico statutes and any Albuquerque ordinances?

2) Could anybody tell me if this ignorant guy is at all representative of the attitudes and knowledge level regarding open carry among LEOs that I am likely to encounter in Albuquerque?

3) Any particular tips or information on carrying in New Mexico and Albuquerque?

Thank you very much!

Did you speak with the DPS CCW unit? Did you get a name, and if so was it Agent Valdez? If it was I am not surprised at the attitude or advice.

Everything is online at: http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/index.php

Scroll down and look for the links under where it says- "important please read" in the 2005 act section. There are no local ordinances anywhere in the state- full preemption exists here.

No, not everyone has such a bad attitude.

NMBill

Ringo...

Thank you very much!

See my latest post under the "Reciprocity Issues" thread. I believe it is possible for you to obtain an Arizona permit by mail, if you have an existing CCW permit. Arizona permits are honored in New Mexico. Check with Arizona Dept of Public Safety.

Sonora Rebel

I guess I need to get a real man-purse, such as the Wilderness Safepacker! But that'll have to wait until I get my CHL.

JP

Consider a frontier 'possibles bag'... from Dixie Gun Works? Why do you need a CHL in New Mexico?

rickc1962

New Mexico is not perfect, and Albuquerque does have a lot of anti gun LEOs., but N.M. is still a open carry state. I lived there in the 90s` for a year to go to school and I carried all the time, and it is better now than it was then. there are a lot of gangs in Alb. and I would not care what some bureaucrat told me, I would not walk the streets there without being armed. When me and my wife lived there she walked 3 blocks to the store, A man drove up next to her rolled down his window and said, " hay get in, I`ll give you a ride, " she told him she would walk, he showed her a gun and said, " BITCH I TOLD YOU TO GET IN THE CAR! " She reached in her purse and showed her 380 to him, about that time a woman behind him seen what was happening and honked her horn and waved to her like she knew my wife. The BG drove off, my wife told the lady thinks, and came back home. I took her to the store, and she never walked anywhere there alone again.

Sonora Rebel

New Mexico is not perfect, and Albuquerque does have a lot of anti gun LEOs., but N.M. is still a open carry state. I lived there in the 90s` for a year to go to school and I carried all the time, and it is better now than it was then. there are a lot of gangs in Alb. and I would not care what some bureaucrat told me, I would not walk the streets there without being armed. When me and my wife lived there she walked 3 blocks to the store, A man drove up next to her rolled down his window and said, " hay get in, I`ll give you a ride, " she told him she would walk, he showed her a gun and said, " BITCH I TOLD YOU TO GET IN THE CAR! " She reached in her purse and showed her 380 to him, about that time a woman behind him seen what was happening and honked her horn and waved to her like she knew my wife. The BG drove off, my wife told the lady thinks, and came back home. I took her to the store, and she never walked anywhere there alone again.

If someone points a gun at you in a threatening manner... (and you yourself are armed) don't 'show them' anything but how fast your own weapon cycles. Your wife was lucky her assailant didn't shoot. That was not a defensive display situation.

coop

good to hear some of these stories. Lived in ABQ for many years in the 80-90's and would go shooting out on the west mesa. Many times a PO, would stop and just check that we where safe and move on. When I needed to cut fire wood, I would always have my .357 on my side. Ate many meals up in the Cuba area with the gun on my side.

rickc1962

If someone points a gun at you in a threatening manner... (and you yourself are armed) don't 'show them' anything but how fast your own weapon cycles. Your wife was lucky her assailant didn't shoot. That was not a defensive display situation.

You are right Sonora Rebel, did I mention shes my ex wife? I think if it came down to it she would have shot, but I am not sure, when we would go out and shoot she was very good, and we talked about shooting scenarios all the time, but she would tell me that she would not fill good about taking a life. I would tell her none of us want to, but if we had to choose it is better for it to be the BG. Luckily it worked out OK, and it did scare her quite a lot. I have learned a lot about self defence since then. my point was that Alb. has a lot of crime and gang bangers, and I would not go back unless I was armed.