• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2010

K

kittyhawk63

Beside self-defense, everyone included the hunter can't discharge on or from highway (included road or street) or cross or over its..

Can you write this sentence again? It seems to be missing some words. I can't make hide nor hair of it.
Thanks

Edit: Thank you Gundude.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2010 - Continued

October 16, 2010

Carried exposed for the evening walk. Plenty of traffic, no encounters to report.

October 17, 2010

Carried loaded and exposed at the Branding Iron. An elderly gentleman at the counter asked if I was a cop. I told him no. He pointed to the magazines on my hip and said you're a cop. I replied no- he gave a look of disbelief and continued nursing on his coffee. One of the waitresses came over to say hello, and we talked about my weight loss and the reasons behind this change. The older fellow interjected discussing the diet and heavy people and why they let things go.

After finishing my breakfast, I unloaded to do my grocery shopping at the Anderson Walmart. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising, but it appears that there isnt a person there that is paying attention to their surroundings. Perhaps it is the commercial nature of the venue that puts everyone into condition white... I was however, approached by a government employee with a badge and dark blue uniform and he passed without comment. Granted, he was with the Cottonwood Fire District and he was talking on his mobile phone at the time- but this wouldnt be interesting to read otherwise. No other encounters to report.

October 18, 2010

Took my pistol on my after dinner walk up the road and around the neighborhood. Enjoyed watching the geese flying in formation, hearing the crickets beginning to chirp as the pastel shades of dusk bled into the twilight sky. It was a pleasant 40 minute walk. No encounters to report - just another excuse to flex my prose.

Last edited:
K

kittyhawk63

C3, where are you? I need my refill from your "outings." I find them interesting reading, especially when you describe the "mundane." You have a way with words that piques my interest.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

October 23, 2010

Redding- Barnes and Noble

Met Kittyhawk63 for discussion over coffee. Met him at the entrance carrying unloaded and exposed. No obvious concern about my state of being armed. As is usual on the weekends, the bookstore was busy and we took the last available table near the coffee bar. Near the end of our visit, a lady asked if she could take the empty chair at our table. She had a plain view of my side arm, and seemed unaffected. No headsnaps, rubbernecking, eyes-as-big-as-saucers, or a stampede of humanity racing for the doors. There were sirens outside after we adjourned and while there was sufficient time for police to act on any report of a man with a gun, the CHP and RFD were responding to a single car accident where a green Honda Accord had spun out on highway 44. No encounters to report.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

November 6, 2010

It was a spectacular day to take the pistol for a walk. Since our days have been shorter, I haven't been able to go on my walks after dinner with any regularity, so I have taken up other exercize. This morning I made a second effort though and plodded out to the traffic light- and on my return trip I walked through the more established residential neighborhood above my own. The circuit clocks out to about 5 miles according to Google Maps. The meandering route took me about 2 hours to accomplish. Got to see a vintage boat tail race car as it passed. Encountered one pedestrian. And had a passenger do a conspicuous double-take as they passed in a pickup. No other incidents to report.

K

kittyhawk63

November 6, 2010

It was a spectacular day to take the pistol for a walk. Since our days have been shorter, I haven't been able to go on my walks after dinner with any regularity, so I have taken up other exercize. This morning I made a second effort though and plodded out to the traffic light- and on my return trip I walked through the more established residential neighborhood above my own. The circuit clocks out to about 5 miles according to Google Maps. The meandering route took me about 2 hours to accomplish. Got to see a vintage boat tail race car as it passed. Encountered one pedestrian. And had a passenger do a conspicuous double-take as they passed in a pickup. No other incidents to report.

Alright, ConditionThree, you're just going to have to do more adventurous walking to keep your journal addicts satisfied. So get with it. We're starting withdrawals.
kh63

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

November 20, 2010

Carried UOC into Anderson Starbucks for a Double Not-Fat No Whip Peppermint Mocha. No- its not on the diet- I cheated. Since I started this body renewal I have lost around 60 pounds and 4 inches off my waist. While these things slow my recovery from obesity, I think there are appropriate times to indulge in a reasonable manner. I sat and enjoyed my Christmasy flavored cafinated beverage while skimming through the newspaper.

Once I finished, I walked over to the Walmart to conduct my grocery shopping. I was welcomed by the greeter and rolled my shopping cart around the store encountering friendly employees pretty much everywhere I went. I took a call on my mobile phone and spoke to a friend who invited me for Thanksgiving dinner. The store was a little busy, but not nearly as crowded as I have seen on weekends in the past. When I paid for my purchases, the cashier complimented me on my mustache- I thanked her and bid her farewell. No other encounters to report.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

November 21, 2010

Walked to the neighborhood market carrying UOC. This is a five mile round trip that takes about an hour and a half. Traffic on the main road was heavy at times. Once I arrived at the store, I made my selection, stood in line and made my purchase. I was about a half mile from the store when a Shasta County Sheriff's deputy passed me from behind. I saw their tail lights come on and I was certain they were preparing to flip their overheads on and make a quick u-turn. Instead, the cruiser was slowing to negotiate the 40 mph curve in the road ahead and continued on. I encountered a pair of pedestrians walking their dogs, apparently doing command training. I was also passed by an older gentleman who was jogging. No other action to report.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

November 27, 2010

I conducted my grocery shopping at the Anderson Walmart while UOC. Wandered about the store without event. No encounters to report.

November 28th, 2010

North Redding
Incorporated City Limits

Shared coffee and conversation at Starbucks with a couple of OCDO members. I was the only armed person initially. A man reading the newspaper behind us eyeballed a holstered firearm with some scrutiny and went about skimming through his paper. He was greeted by friends and sounded by his accent to be either Kiwi or Aussie. A couple of ladies apparently eyeballed my sidearm, left and returned. The reason for their actions were indeterminate. Loitered in the coffee house having exhausted our coffee for about 2 hours. No police encounters.

Last edited:

CenTex

Coffee with ConditionThree and WolfeTundra this am. Coffee good...Starbucks busy...overhead music too loud...conversation mixed. ConditionThree's firearm was noticed by several patrons...some talked about it...no problems with MWAG calls. No one seemed alarmed. Most patrons never even noticed even though we sat near the entrance in the center of the floor. Everyone had to walk by us entering and leaving.

WolfeTundra also OCed.

WolfeTundra and I are are the owners of two new T-shirts apiece complimentary of ConditionThree.

Regarding the T-shirts...thanks, ConditionThree.

At this point, we have agreed to meet once a week when possible. Others are welcomed. Locations and times to be announced via PM.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

December 4, 2010

Downtown Redding

29th Annual Christmas Parade

I donned the pistol and joined CenTex and Wolfetundra and his better half for refreshments before the parade. Downtown Redding was crowded an bustling with preparations of closing off the streets. There were numerous community service officers posted as well as motor and bicycle units patroling the area.

CenTex and I postulated that an (e) check was nearly a certainty given the circumstances. After adjorning from the restaurant, the four of us stood on the sidewalk watching the various entrants cruise by. A CSO was stationed about 12 feet in front of us. While we were there, a motor unit proceeded against the parade traffic and departed. At a later time, a CSO made his way past me to the street without noticing the two openly armed men in the crowd. (Granted, it was after dark and neither of us were making a spectacle of it- but no one else made it a concern either.)

Having exhausted my coffee and endured the light spatter of rain we called it quits before the parade had concluded. It was probably a wise plan, as attendance was likely to create traffic gridlock upon completion.

In spite of our assumptions, there were no encounters to report. I also didnt observe anyone distressed or concerned about our sidearms.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

December 12, 2010

Redding

Met CentTex and Wolfetundra at "From the Hearth", a little 'artisan cafe' nestled next to the University Valero gas station. It wasn't particularly busy or crowded. Didn't notice any odd looks and there were no comments about armed people.

After we adjorned I went to the Redding Walmart Supercenter and shopped a little. Wolfetundra stopped by as I was trying to decide on Christmas gifts. They didnt have what I had seen in the Anderson store and left it for another time (I still have 12 days). I continued grocery shopping and one of the employees noticed I was carrying, but continued on their way. After circling the store and having found most of the groceries I came for, I paid and departed without any other encounter.

camsoup

December 12, 2010

Redding

Met CentTex and Wolfetundra at "From the Hearth", a little 'artisan cafe' nestled next to the University Valero gas station. It wasn't particularly busy or crowded. Didn't notice any odd looks and there were no comments about armed people.

After we adjorned I went to the Redding Walmart Supercenter and shopped a little. Wolfetundra stopped by as I was trying to decide on Christmas gifts. They didnt have what I had seen in the Anderson store and left it for another time (I still have 12 days). I continued grocery shopping and one of the employees noticed I was carrying, but continued on their way. After circling the store and having found most of the groceries I came for, I paid and departed without any other encounter.

From the hearth has great sandwiches...hopefully I can join you guys the next time.

Clayborn

Good To See An Active Person From Redding!

I'll subscribe to this thread. I find it pretty interesting, and good to find someone else exercising their gun rights. :D