• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in wisconsin

MKEgal

weston said:
...my main concern is getting kick out of stores or having someone call the police.
Doesn't happen often, but if a store doesn't want you, leave. Otherwise it's trespassing.
Get the name & contact info for the manager, or if it's the manager, get info for the owner or corporate, & turn the OC community loose on them.
(BTW, most of the time, people don't notice. Even in summer, in light-colored clothing, with a black holster & pistol, shaking someone's hand & talking with them for a while, they didn't notice. Another time, people thought my pistol was a "diabetic supply kit".)

Some places have national corporate policies of following state law, yet the underlings still try to tell OCers they can't shop there. Wal-Mart is famous for this. Call corporate, report the problem, & usually the manager will call & apologize.

As for having police called, that can be hairy. BTDT, got the settlement.
1) Watch the various videos showing how to protect yourself in that situation. Think about what you'd do, so if it happens you're not so unprepared.

2) Know your rights backward & forward, & it helps to know the laws so you can explain them to the officers. (Police often don't really know the laws they're supposed to enforce. Never ask a cop for an opinion about a law.)

3) Carry a recorder. Video is great, but at least voice.

4) If they're violating you, DON'T PHYSICALLY RESIST!! Shut up, take lots of mental notes & get a lawyer later. And did I mention "shut up"? See the lower quote in my sig. You have the right to remain silent. Use it. (Watch the "don't talk to cops" videos.)

McX said:
START CARRYING. word tends to get around, and in short order (usually) word gets to those who seek to harm you, and they back off- permanently.
What he said.

AaronS said:
Well first off, stay in school.
...throw an open carry party. Word will get around real fast.
+1, & +1. Maybe mention to the woman that you're celebrating getting your new (whatever brand you prefer), and are having an open carry party for a bunch of friends who also choose to go armed for their own protection. He'll hear it from her.

weston said:
i do have probably 10-15 messages that he has sent me.
So he's pretty stupid, leaving a trail of evidence. Verbal or email messages?

Last edited:

xd40 neenah

Weston, I saw that you mentioned Appleton. Is that where you are now or where you are going to be after this semester? I live in Neenah and have shopped around Appleton in the past. Most stores in Appleton probably don't even notice OC. PM me if you want a list of some good places for first time carry. If you want someone to accompany you for your first time, PM me as well.

weston502

i will be moving back to the appleton area in about a week. i am set on buying a hand gun as soon as i save up enough money. although i know my parents will not approve as i will be living with them for the next few months. dont worry i will practice ALOT before i start carrying in public as i certainly dont want to hurt or kill any innocent people. ive been looking at a glock 17.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You might want to look into factory reconditioned Glocks - they sell for less and up the warranty from 1 year to life time apparently.