• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of a firearm in washington state is 100%

Guest1650

imported post

maclean wrote:
RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
[/b]

*** CHANGE IN 2008 *** (SEE 6322-S.SL) ***

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

What that has been interpreted to mean is that a metal detector placed in front of the point at which access is restricted is legal.

I'm not familiar with the location you speak of. Could you describe it?
I asked the security officer, if i could please check my firearm. at the lewis co. sheriffs dept. bottom floor. right in downtown chehalis.. it is, also a jail. But, nnot a restricted access point. i didnt pass the metal detector with a firearm

maclean

imported post

phil teters wrote:
maclean wrote:
RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
[/b]

*** CHANGE IN 2008 *** (SEE 6322-S.SL) ***

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

What that has been interpreted to mean is that a metal detector placed in front of the point at which access is restricted is legal.

I'm not familiar with the location you speak of. Could you describe it?
I asked the security officer, if i could please check my firearm. at the lewis co. sheriffs dept. bottom floor. right in downtown chehalis.. it is, also a jail. But, nnot a restricted access point. i didnt pass the metal detector with a firearm

Oh, I followed your whole thread. I was just curious and trying to see all the angles.

Is this a hallway that goes into or towards court rooms? Is it the only corridor to the jail?

In King County, the Sheriff's Office is inside the court building, so things might be different there.

t3rmin

imported post

This is crap. We can get these bozos in line.

But what makes us think they'd show up for our Sunday meet? It's Centralia's turf...

bayfire66

imported post

I had a snohomish county sheriff one time try to issue me a ticket for a loaded firearm one time in my car.I said go for it as it would be thrown out of court.I told him I had a cpl and I could have a loaded firearm in my car.And he stated oh you think you know the law do you? andI said yes I do otherwise I would not carry a gun around if I didn't.Some of these LEOS think they can just go around badgering people with guns and think they can scare you.Its total BS

Guest1650

imported post

Toltal BS, or not. They will be contacted by a good attorney. we're going to see how fast we can hammer this out. ..

well.. not exactly how fast. But how effectivly.

okkid

imported post

One of these days im going to get out of Grays Harbor and meet you guys.

Sorry it went bad for you but your doing this the right way.
Use your head keep your cool and you will be the to say see I told you so.

I will never understand why they give us such a bad time over carrying a gun as
we have that right.

Keep up the good work guys!

t3rmin

imported post

Well guys for what it's worth, we fought for, and won, an amendment to the Washington State GOP platform affirming the INDIVIDUAL right to keep and bear arms! This was at the state convention this weekend.

I was very disappointed with how difficult it was to pass this simple, intensely Republican issue. The John McCain campaign leadership present at the convention actively worked against it! It should have been a slam dunk, but it was pretty contentious. Can you believe that? It was the Ron Paul folks, together with some good McCain people who broke ranks, who got it in.

joeroket

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
Well guys for what it's worth, we fought for, and won, an amendment to the Washington State GOP platform affirming the INDIVIDUAL right to keep and bear arms! This was at the state convention this weekend.

I was very disappointed with how difficult it was to pass this simple, intensely Republican issue. The John McCain campaign leadership present at the convention actively worked against it! It should have been a slam dunk, but it was pretty contentious. Can you believe that? It was the Ron Paul folks, together with some good McCain people who broke ranks, who got it in.
Why would it have to be affirmed by the Wa. GOP. It is already affirmed in our states constitution.

SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

t3rmin

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Why would it have to be affirmed by the Wa. GOP. It is already affirmed in our states constitution.
Because it's a contentious and supremely-important issue and folks seem all too ready to ignore constitutions these days. Preserving the individual RKBA is a uniquely Republican issue (among the big Two), and if we don't affirm it as a party, nobody else will.

The civil-liberties language submitted to the body from the platform committee was very broad -- something any Democrat could claim to agree with. Not a bad thing necessarily, but the body eventually reached a virtual consensus that we needed to enumerate and emphasize one of the most important points. This process was driven by Ron Paul supporters and McCain supporters who wisely deviated from the direction of party/McCain leadership.

joeroket

imported post

t3rmin wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Because it's a contentious and supremely-important issue and folks seem all too ready to ignore constitutions these days. Preserving the individual RKBA is a uniquely Republican issue (among the big Two), and if we don't affirm it as a party, nobody else will.
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

Schantz

imported post

I was just sent this site by Jackie and have been reading up on this in crap going on in Lewis County. This has to stop and these Public Serpents have to be reminded they are employed mainly to protect our rights and if they are not willing to do what they are hired for, then they effectively rid themselves of any government employment. Sorry to mention that but that still is the law. We hire servants to help us, not to hinder us.

I’m a bit laid up but still willing to help out as much as I can.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Schantz wrote:
I was just sent this site by Jackie and have been reading up on this in crap going on in Lewis County. This has to stop and these Public Serpents have to be reminded they are employed mainly to protect our rights and if they are not willing to do what they are hired for, then they effectively rid themselves of any government employment. Sorry to mention that but that still is the law. We hire servants to help us, not to hinder us.

I’m a bit laid up but still willing to help out as much as I can.
I've lived a long time and the number of helpful public servants is in the 20% range at best. I don't know what government agencies you have been dealing with, but they aren't the norm if their employeesare helpful or gone.

Schantz

imported post

I agree most are like I stated “Public Serpents” and do not intend to do what they are hired for. Protect our rights or helping us. There are a few but even the few will not reign in the rest. How often have you heard of a cop arresting another cop for breaking the law, doing something they know is illegal, or abusing their authority? It seems like all servants now want to call themselves "Authorities" and the old Public Servant is a true endangered species.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Schantz wrote:
I agree most are like I stated “Public Serpents” and do not intend to do what they are hired for. Protect our rights or helping us. There are a few but even the few will not reign in the rest. How often have you heard of a cop arresting another cop for breaking the law, doing something they know is illegal, or abusing their authority? It seems like all servants now want to call themselves "Authorities" and the old Public Servant is a true endangered species.
The only true public servant I ever knew, personally quit working for governments because he spent more time fixing the screw ups of others than doing his job.He tried working with 3 different county governments and finally gave up. He was their go to expert but alas they still never listened to what he said and always did it wrong. Then he had to figure out how to fix their screw ups. He died last summer at 55, a true loss to this world.