• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Ohio

IxionDeece

Yeah I know, I know it is not something I can do, strictly due to memory issues that I have since my car accident. I would volunteer to be the lead otherwise. Especially since we aint heard from lthrnck in so long.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I spent my Thanksgiving Day weekend up in Ohio visiting my and my wife's family this year and OCed nearly everywhere that I went. As we headed to central Ohio from southern Ohio I OCed for about 20 minutes in the Speedway off of US-23 in Chillicothe on Thanksgiving Day and no one seemed to be much bothered by my sidearm if they noticed it at all. On that same trip I OCed at the Donato's Pizza in Marysville to pick up a couple pizzas after ensuring they do not serve alcohol.

On Friday I helped my dad put up some fence for a new horse pasture. Before getting outside to get our work done we needed a few things from the hardware store so we headed down to Lowe's in Marysville where I OCed again with no issues. Saturday I mostly stayed around the homeplace and when I went out I CCed because it would have been problematic to OC due to the outdoor gear I had on.

Sunday morning I OCed in Raymond while getting gas at a little gas station and grocery store, again with no issue. The wife and I then headed to Columbus where I OCed without issue at the Walmart and Bob Evan's Restaurant on Georgesville Rd. We were in Bob's for an hour and a half or so and I was seated sidearm out, but not a word was spoken about the sidearm and no one seemed to mind, although I did get a few curious looks. After breakfast we headed on out of town toward home, but not before stopping in Nelsonville at the Rocky Boot Factory Outlet where I OCed as well. I had a bit of a butt pucker moment in the Rocky Store when I saw a guy sitting in their cafe drinking what looked like a beer bottle in their grill (it was probably root beer). After making doubly sure the grill didn't serve alcohol I relaxed and we enjoyed our shopping. That was the last of my OCing and stopping in Ohio and I was quite happy to return to my old home state having had no issues doing something that I do regularly everywhere else I've lived. :)

Last edited:

IxionDeece

Glad to hear your visit went without problem. My question is....are the meetings even still happening? What has been happening lately...I have been out for a while due to medical reasons and/or work scheduling, and I have recently been able to start making my way around....just curious on if there are still meetings on the 2nd and 4th weeks of the month or what?

theqbn

To my knowledge, no, meetings are not happening.

There's some talk of an OFCC/OC meet in Engelwood this month... check on the OFCC forums.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Reviving an old thread I know, but it fits so here it is.

I was up in Ohio this past week from Wednesday afternoon through Sunday afternoon and OCed at nearly every opportunity I had to be out and about with no issue at all. The wifester and I had stayed the night in Beckley, WV (OC is just dandy fine there too) and headed out for Ohio Wednesday morning. OCed a little in Ravenswood, WV before crossing into Ohio and nobody noticed or cared the least bit. We didn't stop until we got to Columbus where I OCed while at the White Castle on Hamilton Rd just off of US-33 on the east side. I'm sure my sidearm was seen, but nobody cared and the ladies working the counter that afternoon were as pleasant as could be.

Once we arrived at my parents' place we hung out for a while and then headed over to the range at Blackwing Shooting Center where I OCed again with no issue (didn't expect one either) and after helping my dad find a new pistol we headed back home. If we went out again that night I can't recall as it was all a blur.

Thursday we headed out to the east side again for lunch at Cap City Diner (can't carry there), but I did OC while shopping at the Marshall's / Home Goods store on Morse Rd. Again nobody seemed to mind my sidearm. OCed again that night at the Donato's Pizza in Marysville as I've done before, again no issue.

Friday the wifester and I hung out and the parents place until the afternoon when we did some shopping. While shopping I OCed at the Marysville Tractor Supply Co., Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart before heading out to Grove City to meet some friends. I didn't get a chance to OC while down there, just because the arming and disarming multiple times would've made it a pain.

Saturday was rush-rush-rush around and after going to the zoo and some other spots I really didn't get to OC at all other than in the car (big deal, I know!) Sunday we headed out of town and we made our last stop in Logan where I OCed again at the Speedway gas station, of course with no issue. The wifester and I were eventually quite glad to be back in Virginia where we didn't need to disarm for anything we did, including eat dinner in a Ruby Tuesday (imagine that, and we don't even need a permission slip!) I was generally glad for my time in Ohio and look forward to hopefully seeing some relaxation in the law the next time I'm up through the state.

*The only thing of note where I was very disappointed was while discussing OC in Blackwing Shooting Center, the gun range clerk noted that Ken Hanson (of BFA I believe), had apparently advised the workers there to never OC, because the legal implications were to great to the average person. I personally found this to be very troubling as I had previously considered Hanson to be an asset to the firearms carrying community, not one to quietly backstab those who dare to shirk the permit system and appreciate the liberty enjoyed while OCing. It is my hope that Mr. Hanson's words were mis-construed. The gentleman at the counter didn't seem to be against OC, but based on what he was apparently told, decided that it was in his best interest to beg permission to carry and keep it a secretive act. This really made me sad and my brother (up from Florida), father and I all discussed the issue on our ride back to Marysville.