• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry trouble

MKEgal

Has the OP considered changing the pocket in which he carries his wallet?
Or maybe keep your DL in the glove box with the rest of your paperwork?
Makes the problem of a "bad cop" (or in this case bad amateur) less probable.
Of course, then you wouldn't have your new van, either.

Scooter88310

Has the OP considered changing the pocket in which he carries his wallet?
Or maybe keep your DL in the glove box with the rest of your paperwork?
Makes the problem of a "bad cop" (or in this case bad amateur) less probable.
Of course, then you wouldn't have your new van, either.
I don't always drive the same vehicle, so leaving my D.L in the glove box is impractical. I keep my wallet in the same pocket, I don't see why I should have to change what I have been doing for years because this cop has a superiority complex.

OldCurlyWolf

hmmm So you're saying that out of all of the criminals you met the ones who didn't like you were criminals? *gasp* No! I don't believe it. Well in that case you must be right; every person who hates LEO's must be a criminal. Sir, your logic is sound.

Your cherry picking sarcasm doesn't bode well for you being able to convince others that your opinion has value.

Sonora Rebel

As a former LEO, who will not allow any officer to violate any of my rights without paying the penalty for doing so, I find your attitude to be that of a felon. I have met more than a few people who do not like LEO's and the ONLY ones with an attitude like yours have either spent time in the pen or deserve to spend some time there.

Which one are you?

As a former cop myself... I find his attitude commensurate with one who's been screwed over by jack boot thug punks operating under color of law. In some LEA's this attitude is endemic. I find your attitude to be the same as the ones he detests. Quote: "the ONLY ones with an attitude like yours have either spent time in the pen or deserve to spend some time there." Oh... really? And you're a DA/SA where? Or are you a Court Psychologist? Last time I looked... 'Contempt of Cop' wasn't listed in the Annotated Codes of anywhere, or 18 USC. You're exactly the type of 'Us vs Them' mentality that Scooter (in Alamagordo) 'n the guy who had the problem in Artesia encountered.

Last edited:
K

kittyhawk63

I can't tell you have upsetting this is for me to hear.

This kind of egregious action is just one of many issues that can occur where officers don't understand the law here. It's difficult enough to get full-time officers educated on our firearms laws, but when you're talking about mounted patrol, you're in a whole different world. Especially so if you encounter [what appears on the surface to be] someone that seems to have a problem with citizens exercising their right to carry in NM - granted by the NM Constitution.

CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO

ADOPTED JANUARY 21,1911

ARTICLE II - BILL OF RIGHTS

Sec. 6. [Right to bear arms.]

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incidentof the right to keep and bear arms. (As amended November 2, 1971 and November 2, 1986.)

Just for clarification - carrying and possessing a firearm in NM is a RIGHT- granted by the NM Constitution - carrying a concealed firearm in public in NM is a privilage granted by the state, to residents that meet the requirements of the Statutes and obtain a license. BIG difference.

I am really sorry you had to go through this, and more importantly, that your daughter was subjected to this experience. It seems from your post that you have worked this out. I only hope the mounted patrol posts across the state are better educated on our RIGHTS here.

Anyone that can possess a firearm legally here, can have it in their home, can carry it openly in public where it is not prohibited, and can carry it any way they choose while in their vehicle - without a license. If you have it concealed on your person in your vehicle, you must either disarm or openly carry your firearm if you step out of the vehicle, or have a license to carry concealed in NM.

I'm happy to see you have gotten someone to spent a few minutes reassuring your daughter that the police aren't going to be trouble to you or her in the future and can only hope this hasn't affected her in the long term.

Steve Aikens

Added: Might be a good idea to edit your post and slip some paragraphs in it to make it easier for others to read. I think this is a good example of what can happen here and others can learn from your experience. Thanks for posting it.

Rights are not granted to citizens by levels of governments. They are "recognized" as being "inherently owned" by citizens. The U.S. Constitution did not give us the right to own and bear arms. It recognized our "inherent right" to own and bear them.

K

kittyhawk63

As a former cop myself... I find his attitude commensurate with one who's been screwed over by jack boot thug punks operating under color of law. In some LEA's this attitude is endemic. I find your attitude to be the same as the ones he detests. Quote: "the ONLY ones with an attitude like yours have either spent time in the pen or deserve to spend some time there." Oh... really? And you're a DA/SA where? Or are you a Court Psychologist? Last time I looked... 'Contempt of Cop' wasn't listed in the Annotated Codes of anywhere, or 18 USC. You're exactly the type of 'Us vs Them' mentality that Scooter (in Alamagordo) 'n the guy who had the problem in Artesia encountered.

As someone who was accepted for training as a police officer in Ft. Worth, TX, it was cops on the force that I came in contact with during my BRASS interview that made me realize that too many bad thugs are in LEO uniforms.

The son of the head of the Texas Rangers was being interviewed during the time of my interview. He came out after his interview and we talked for a while. He was a police officer in a southern Texas town and was wanting to work in the Ft. Worth PD.

He told me that they tested him on his loyalty to the PD. If he was involved in a bust where he found a police officer who was himself involved in the crime, and he was told by a superior to let the cop go, would he obey the order? He told them he would still arrest the officer for committing a crime. On that basis, they did not hire him. I told this young man that if they asked me the same question, I would give them the same answer as his. They didn't ask me. I passed the interview.

OldCurlyWolf...there are some really bad cops and you know it. Too many law-abiding citizens have been harassed by these so-n-sos. I don't hate cops...but neither do I fully trust them. Too many of them are just as corrupt as our levels of government are becoming. "You lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas."

MR Redenck

I am sorry to hear this. Im from West Texas and use to go all over the SE NM area all the time untill the business wentto crap.
One thing I admired about the New Mexico laws is the open carry. That is a great right and I hate to hear your LE acted that way. I for one have serious opinions against that kind of conduct! Dang, how do you teach your kids to respect the law when they have to see them acting like a bunch of Communist Police State Aholes!??
From what I read you seemed to have acted in a decent manner. If it were me " Gun are not illegal", I would have simply said Nothing Illegal in My Car,,.. If I had a sidearm on me, I would have let them know about before I got out of the car just out of respect.
The key word here is RESPECT.. Civilian or Law officer, we must have a certain level of respect for each other. LE that conduct themself like the way they did should be fired!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Clothes_dont_make_a_man.jpg

and that's all I got to say about that........