• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Update

mspgunner

The 2A Bill passed the senate today, back to the House here it will pass again easily. CCW age is now 21 not 18, that's OK though. Then off to the Governor. He'll eithet sign it, or ignor it and let it become law or veto it. A veto over ride is a sure thing!

kcgunfan

The 2A Bill passed the senate today, back to the House here it will pass again easily. CCW age is now 21 not 18, that's OK though. Then off to the Governor. He'll eithet sign it, or ignor it and let it become law or veto it. A veto over ride is a sure thing!

The other change I noticed from the House version, about using the sheriff's revolving account, is still in. I can't imagine that mattering to the House.

Also, it looks like the one little OC part has changed also. It now reads:

Section 2. The attorney general of the state of Missouri may establish a public website that publishes the names of municipalities and counties who do not allow the open carry of firearms. Such municipalities and counties, may forward their ordinances to the attorney general on their own volition.

You can find it here: http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills111/biltxt/senate/1118S.04C.htm at the very bottom.

The wording is different, but I'm not sure the effect is. Still looks to be optional on the AG's office and the subdivisions. In my mind, that makes the provision useless.

There's also some changes to the expiration date of non-drivers ID with CCW endorsement. Looks to be to align them with the expiration of the CCW endorsement. If so, I've got no problem with that, and I can't imagine anyone would.

Other than that, looks about the same as what the House passed.

kcgunfan

It has been assigned to the HOUSE BILLS WITH SENATE AMENDMENTS calendar. Looks like they're going to pass it today. Maybe that's the trick, you need to throw in a plum for the legislature (CCW in state capitol for legislators' employees) to get them to pass anything. What can we pick for next year?

mspgunner

That's what we need to talk about. This site is not a good place to "discuss" legislative agenda. It is free and open to all. It is a fact the Brady Bunch and others troll the 2A sites through out the country. If groups like our post their agendas, the antis will lobby in direct opposition to what is proposed for 2A. There has to be a different way to go about this. Many 2A groups here in Missouri have "private" conversations in relation to 2A legislative agenda.

I know there ar emany here who don't vare for "secret" agenda, but it's happened since the earliest days of Government.... It is not going to change! There are secrets worth keeping.

Again my agenda may not be yours, but if a whole bunch of folks can agree on something and take it to the legislature, it's worth more than 1 or 2...

kcgunfan

That's what we need to talk about. This site is not a good place to "discuss" legislative agenda. It is free and open to all. It is a fact the Brady Bunch and others troll the 2A sites through out the country. If groups like our post their agendas, the antis will lobby in direct opposition to what is proposed for 2A. There has to be a different way to go about this. Many 2A groups here in Missouri have "private" conversations in relation to 2A legislative agenda.

I know there ar emany here who don't vare for "secret" agenda, but it's happened since the earliest days of Government.... It is not going to change! There are secrets worth keeping.

Again my agenda may not be yours, but if a whole bunch of folks can agree on something and take it to the legislature, it's worth more than 1 or 2...

Like I've mentioned, I don't necessarily believe that secrecy is a bad thing. But, as soon as the bills are filed, it's public for all. And, it probably isn't going to pass for a good amount of time (HB 294 was introduced 1/24) that still gives the anti's enough time to mount a defense against the bill. I'm not sure that having an extra couple of months to would make much of a difference anyway.

But, where I would not like the anti's involved is in setting the agenda. Looks like that piece is in place. But, it's also an instance of just a few people deciding what all pro-2A people in MO want. I don't think that's healthy for us either.

I'm not that unhappy with what was done this year. But, most of it seemed rather milquetoast.

What do we need, some type of secret handshake, a picture of a slide bite? It's an interesting question.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Uhm, I could be wrong, I did not look it up, but doesn't session end today? It's the 12th.

mspgunner

Ritght now and for the past many years, that's what we've had - as far as legislative input. The folks from the 2A groups have th enumbers of people and lobby money, two things the OC folks don't have. The options:
1 Work with them
2 Work against them

#2 is not s good option.

So how does this small OC group work wit them? A few ways:
1) Join, that is pay your dues, it is very small! The MSSA and GCLA dues here in Missouri have very cheap membership dues for the year. I for one am a dues paying member of both and I've started going to thei MSSA open board meetings, they are all open to the membership, few go. I will run for the board of the MSSA. They have people, they have experience, Legislative contacts and lobby experience in Jeff City, they have money.
2) Vote for the Board members of these groups, their position on 2A rights are very open and up front come election time. (If your not a members, you can't vote)

Voice your opinion with these groups, but be considerate and diplomatic. If you just jump in and angry, people won't listen. There are a lot of negative comments within the Missouri OC forum, this won't work to our advantage within our own group or others.

I'm willing to devote time, effort and money to the cause. Don't get PO'd at me, I have insight into the process but I try not to be a snob about it, just want to make it work. I'm not an expert on political science but I've seen the "system" up close and personal and understand how it works. Jumping up and down, having a temper tantrum won't help. We just have to get the OC rights we want, no quick fix.

kcgunfan

And, according to the daily calendar here: http://www.house.mo.gov/DailyCalendarPrint.aspx we should be up for a House vote today anyway.

Boy MO makes it hard to find things on their damn website. The worst part is that they use Microsoft protocols for the debate audio, so I can't even here the debate on my Mac. Once the session has ended, I'm going to bitch at my Rep and find out who I should talk to...

mspgunner

I had the opportunity about 30 minutes ago to meet and speak with two candidates for the US House/District 2.

Ann Wagner and Ed Martin, they both come off as pro-2A. I've known Ed Martin for quite some time, yes I believe he is very pro-2A, first chat with Ann Wagner.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I had the opportunity about 30 minutes ago to meet and speak with two candidates for the US House/District 2.

Ann Wagner and Ed Martin, they both come off as pro-2A. I've known Ed Martin for quite some time, yes I believe he is very pro-2A, first chat with Ann Wagner.

Ann is PRO

Then, to great applause from the audience, the president of the Wisconsin Republican Party Reince Priebus announced with great excitement he owns ‘Five’. But his moment of being the heralded image of a gun-welding NRA Republican savior was quickly dashed by, as some Texans may say, a ‘Second Amendment Gal’: Ann Wagner, from Missouri where she also headed the state GOP and an ambassador to Luxembourg, announced to the audience the great credentials she boosts: ‘I may surprise y’all, but we just got a new gun safe for Christmas, and I think there are about 16 in there – everything from pistols and a Glock to shotguns, rifles. And my son, who’s on the combat team at West Point, has an all-out assault rifle. So there you go!’”

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/01/robert-farago/rnc-chairman-michael-steele-doesnt-own-a-gun/

Festus_Hagen

Ann is PRO

Then, to great applause from the audience, the president of the Wisconsin Republican Party Reince Priebus announced with great excitement he owns ‘Five’. But his moment of being the heralded image of a gun-welding NRA Republican savior was quickly dashed by, as some Texans may say, a ‘Second Amendment Gal’: Ann Wagner, from Missouri where she also headed the state GOP and an ambassador to Luxembourg, announced to the audience the great credentials she boosts: ‘I may surprise y’all, but we just got a new gun safe for Christmas, and I think there are about 16 in there – everything from pistols and a Glock to shotguns, rifles. And my son, who’s on the combat team at West Point, has an all-out assault rifle. So there you go!’”

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/01/robert-farago/rnc-chairman-michael-steele-doesnt-own-a-gun/
:lol:

kcgunfan

Well,my enthusiasm is starting to waver. Seems like the House isn't very good at managing their workload. It seems obvious to me that the first calendar they should work is the one that lets them finish work that is one play short of the goal line when they are on the last day. That would be the HOUSE BILLS WITH SENATE AMENDMENTS, since they've already been voted on by the House and Senate, and the House just needs to approve the changes.

Instead, they're fooling around with bills in conference. And, we've just got a few house left in this session.

mspgunner

Well, from what I can tell, the bill has passed with the Senate's amendments. Assuming that's what "House Concurs (H) - SS#2 AS AMENDED ADOPTED" means. So, it's off to the Gov Nixon's desk. Do I have any bets on veto, pocket pass, or sign?

link: http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB294&year=2011&code=R

I vote pocket pass, it's veto proof.
5611wjeep1.jpg

Oh, went out and bought a jeep to match my OC shirt to celebrate...

Questions... long fricken day it was!

Last edited:

kcgunfan

I vote pocket pass, it's veto proof.

Oh, went out and bought a jeep to match my OC shirt to celebrate...

Questions... long fricken day it was!

Nice Jeep and a nice way to celebrate! Congratulations.

I vote Nixon is going to sign it, with a statement about how he supports 2A rights. I don't think the bill is controversial enough to get the anti's tensed up, so he may as well play the pro's...

Now for the next Session. We scored a 4 on the Brady Bunch's scorecard. The lowest score it -2. So, we need to lose 6 more points by doing the following:

Permit carry on employer's parking lots.
Permit concealed carry on college campuses.
And finally, get the -2 point demerit for Constitutional Carry!

I'd settle with a score of 0 for now though.

Last edited:

mspgunner

Nice Jeep and a nice way to celebrate! Congratulations.

I vote Nixon is going to sign it, with a statement about how he supports 2A rights. I don't think the bill is controversial enough to get the anti's tensed up, so he may as well play the pro's...

Now for the next Session. We scored a 4 on the Brady Bunch's scorecard. The lowest score it -2. So, we need to lose 6 more points by doing the following:

Permit carry on employer's parking lots.
Permit concealed carry on college campuses.
And finally, get the -2 point demerit for Constitutional Carry!

I'd settle with a score of 0 for now though.

"0" is OK with me, just gotta figure out how we get the lowest Brady Bunch score we can achieve. It wil take soem do'n, but we'll get 'er done.