• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry VS Concealed Carry Why?

swampcrawler

i have an idea on the "bgs hell bent on robbing the place" hypothetical sittuation.

how attentive is your average human being to his/her surroundings?
have you ever noticed how little you notice?
can you emagine the desperation, adrynaline, fear, panic, ect clouding said hell bent bg's mind as they bum rush your gass station? how likely is it that through that paniced tunnle vission they see a 6 inch dark spot on someone's hip, and can realise that its not a cell phone?

i know its not a sure thing, but iv always been amused by people's falure to notice things, and i think that shortcoming would keep an OCer safe in that sittuation untill he could get out or get his muzzle up. :)

Badger Johnson

One thing that works in the favor of those OC-ing is that 'normal people' don't see the HG on your hip a LARGE percentage of the time (or so I'm picking up). But BGs (somehow) do see it, because they may be scanning for threats.

If the PoPo would just calm down, (some of them, anyway), it would really make for a more polite society. I KNOW I'm more polite because I'm CC-ing. I don't go anywhere near road rage (rarely did in my Ute anyway), I'm just a very nice person out in public because I know nobody can force me to be otherwise. (You're at the mercy of the first person who can make you angry anyway.)

I've never seen more polite people than those at gun shows, aamof (even though they're all tag-tied off, lol).

$.02

MilProGuy

Thanks to the OP who initiated this thread and to all who posted herein.

Honestly, this is one of the most substantive threads I've read since becoming a member.

Reading the testamonials of those who OC has been very helpful.

since9

Campaign Veteran
If you are aware enough of your surroundings and saw the BGs coming to rob the store, you would have already taken some sort of appropriate actions for your self protection whether you are carrying openly or concealed.

The first action I usually take when someone questionable walks into a store is to turn somewhat to the side so that they do not immediately recognize I'm carrying. That may sound contrary to the usual reason for OCing (deterrence), but if they've already entered the store, I would rather have an advantage.

I OC because I'd like anyone thinking about hitting the store to think twice.

Fortunately, the only "questionables" I've encountered while OCing were never a problem.

carry for myself

well ill give you a few solid reason.

coming from someone who has worked MANY years as an armed patrol officer with a private security company , i fully understand what you mean about the level 3 retention holsters. they work great. for what they are designed for. to ensure that YOU the LEO are the only person who can gain easy access to your weapon. i also understand the LEO stand on having your weapon taken from you and being offed with it. this is a thought that i guarantee crosses every one of our minds every time we holster our gun and leave the house.

i am also a holder of a CCW. and i both CC and OC. depending on the circumstances i will either CC or OC. i usually CC, i will admit. just because i enter areas where there are crowds of people who are elbow to elbow and as you mentioned, i never want someone elses hand on my weapon. now i do carry my glock 32 in a serpa holster, wich gives a small level of retention , and not everyone knows how to use it so that brings some peace of mind. but when im that close to others i prefer to CC just to minimize the risk.

now OC is a different story. when i do OC its usually for comfortability. if im in my car, obviously in a dangerous situation it would take some twisting, removing of the seatbelt, leaning forward removing cover clothing to gain access to the weapon, which can take some time. time that i may not have. so i ALWAYS OC in the car. just because as you as an LEO can grasp your weapon while seated and draw it, i like having the same oportunity to defend myself easily.

I also OC at work. i work at a summer resort at the beach. usually 100+ customers playing tennis, vollyball, eating icecream and having fun. most o which are regulars who know me by name. i Oc at work for my safety and the safety of our guests and it really does deter people from causing problems.

i also oc on night walks around my town, its a bit rough and has a rather high crime rate and i've personally watched people who looked less than desireable cross the street and walk on the other side when they see my firearm. not to mention i have yet again easier access and a 1.3 second decrease in draw time when i OC.

i also OC due to heat. my concealment holster is an IWB leather open top rig. with no retention. and working outside in the summer i tend to sweat *as we all do* this causes moisture to get into the leather and contact whichever weapon i may be carrying at the time, causing rust, pitting, or tother un happy occurances to the finish and function of my investment. when i OC i do not have this problem.

i can see both sides of the arguement. OC could result in being made a target. in the backs of our minds we all know this, however the likely hood of it happening is such a small fraction of a whole number because of the fact that we are armed. Criminals work on a risk vs. gain scale. small risk, large gain= good to go. huge risk- small to no gain= no go. the fact that not only are they risking jail time, but potentially death from attacking the carrier, or anyone in the area of him or her, will most likely always outweigh the potential of a monitary gain or possibility of success in the attempted crime.

and you also have to take into account as an LEO. when you were trained to carry and use your firearm. the training did not just stop there. you were also trained on how to KEEP your firearm, and how to defend it by other means if neccisary and how to defend it with other means of lethal force if called for. as you were trained we also train ourselves. we are not your "average" armed citizen. we are not the type to run to the gun shop. pick up a 9mm , throw it in a holster and say "there im invincible now" , most of if not all of us train extensively, as much if not more than most LEO's do on a regular basis, a lot of us carry less lethal weapons as backups, and alot of us also train on weapon retention, and hand to hand techniques in general seeing as our weapon is a last ditch effort, any one of us would go toe to toe with someone who attempted to disarm us before we resorted to our firearms. so us being "joe shmoe with a gun" is not a truth at all. we take great responsibility in carrying what we do. we take great caution and alot of training to make sure that the weapon that is in our possession stays in our possession. :)