• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with one in the pipe

WalkingWolf

I thought we were talking about a 1911, not a DA/SA pistol with a decocker. I, like the overwhelming majority of 1911 owners, carry my Colt Defender 1911 condition 1 as it was designed to be carried. I carry my Beretta 92FS condition 2, which I believe is the safest way to carry that model.

My "if it is good enough for the Massad" comment was simply agreeing with the fella who carries without a round in the chamber that it is indeed a viable option, if you train that way (like the Massad). And the point he made about if somebody grabbed the gun they might not think to rack the slide to chamber a round. This was one of the main reasons I heard for the Massad carrying without a round in the chamber. They train so that it is second nature to rack the slide when drawing.

If you carry a 1911 or similar model and don't want to carry condition 1 than I would highly recommend this method rather than risk a ND dropping the hammer on a loaded round. Why take the risk? If you are going the take the time to cock the hammer when drawing you might as well take the time to rack the slide without tempting fate by dropping the hammer on a loaded round.

This is not about trying to control people it's just a safety tip, like "look both ways before crossing the street". If you don't want to take my advice that's your prerogative but don't cry to me when you get hit by a car. :)

I believe anyone who cannot safely lower the hammer on any gun is too incompetent to carry. Also it is a good idea not to stick ones nose into the business of another. It is usually considered rude, and the usual result is getting told to "Mind your own business". I agree if you shoot a hole in your leg like Tex did, carrying condition one, don't cry to me.