• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

pullnshoot25

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Pullnshoot,

g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.

(l) Unless otherwise specified, a first violation of this section is an infraction. Any second or subsequent violation is a misdemeanor. Any person who commits an act which he or she knows to be a violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor for a first offense.

I stand corrected on the severity.

I did find this little part interesting...

12071.4(k) All persons possessing firearms at the gun show or event shall have in his or her immediate possession, government-issued photo identification, and display it upon request, to any security officer, or any peace officer.

Looks like that is another instance where photo ID is required...

1245A Defender

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
PincheOgro1 wrote:
Pullnshoot,

g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.

(l) Unless otherwise specified, a first violation of this section is an infraction. Any second or subsequent violation is a misdemeanor. Any person who commits an act which he or she knows to be a violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor for a first offense.

I stand corrected on the severity.

I did find this little part interesting...

12071.4(k) All persons possessing firearms at the gun show or event shall have in his or her immediate possession, government-issued photo identification, and display it upon request, to any security officer, or any peace officer.

Looks like that is another instance where photo ID is required...

another great bend in the ever growing california gun law debackel,,,how do you spell that?

there are 20000 laws and you still dont know if you are doin the right thing!!!

PincheOgro1

imported post

Pullnshoot,

I thought I had been reading ALL of the PC's regarding guns, and I made a post here tonight, about what I had done these past two days, and a firestorm of responses with in a couple of hours. I have been told I did this and that illegally, etc. Yet the Sheriffs that were there didn't say anything to me. I'm sure the respondents to my post had good intentions, but I don't think they gave me, or the LEO's any credit.

BUT they have brought to my attention parts of the penal codes, I apparently hadn't read yet. I started reading PC's, and CFL even before I gained possession of my gun. I thought I was doing good. I suspect I have done more than maybe 95% of other newgun owners out there.

The only thing that I can see that I may have been actually guilty of, was carrying the ammo and gun, at the same time. You know, the PC's say the VENDORS Are supposed to know the applicable laws too, and they saw my pistol, when I purchased the ammo, yet said nothing to me about it. Well, to be fair,they did give the bag to my wife, but they didn't say, I wasn't supposed to be carrying it.

THANK YOU... SIR for your input

pullnshoot25

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Pullnshoot,

I thought I had been reading ALL of the PC's regarding guns, and I made a post here tonight, about what I had done these past two days, and a firestorm of responses with in a couple of hours. I have been told I did this and that illegally, etc. Yet the Sheriffs that were there didn't say anything to me. I'm sure the respondents to my post had good intentions, but I don't think they gave me, or the LEO's any credit.

BUT they have brought to my attention parts of the penal codes, I apparently hadn't read yet. I started reading PC's, and CFL even before I gained possession of my gun. I thought I was doing good. I suspect I have done more than maybe 95% of other new gun owners out there.

The only thing that I can see that I may have been actually guilty of, was carrying the ammo and gun, at the same time.  You know, the PC's say the VENDORS Are supposed to know the applicable laws too, and they saw my pistol, when I purchased the ammo, yet said nothing to me about it. Well, to be fair,they did give the bag to my wife, but they didn't say, I wasn't supposed to be carrying it. My wife got tired of carrying it, and I put it in my back pack.

THANK YOU... SIR for your input

Car salesman don't tell you the laws on driving nor do they tell you what kind of fuel to put in the car. Same with the vendors at these shows.

De nada on the input.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I think this is about the forth or fifth recent occurance of California open carriers not paying any heed to thesuggestions offered in the Noobie Thread.

Look- if you do not want to both know and obey the law, do yourself a favor by not waiving your 5th amendment rights by posting your violation on a public forum.

PincheOgro1should delete his anecdote relating to his alleged activities and contact an attorney Monday morning in anticipation of being contacted by law enforcement.

PincheOgro1

imported post

I want to both know and obey the law. I have been reading Penal Codes sincebefore I got possession of my fire arm. There seems to be some misinterpretation of penal codes "in here", and a bunch of ARM CHAIR GENERALS all too eager to convict you of something, even before all the facts are known.

I believe that if I would have done ANYTHING wrong, especially with my luck, and in FRONT of Deputy Sheriff's, I would have already been in jail.

oc4ever

imported post

PincheOgro1, everyone here is not trying to dissuade you from OC'ing. Just the consequences to some of the offenses are quite severe. You could loose your job, freedom and suffer a large financial loss in attorneys fees. You don't have to be wrong, just get arrested, and the cost skyrocket. It is happening right now to other OC'ers. Most LEO's are cool with it, many more have no clue regarding these gun laws. Many DA's do and will bring a case against you if there is a violation. Nobody here wants that to happen. So instead of being defensive, just listen tot what some here have to say, and do as you think is right. OC'ing out of your local area presents many schools that are not obvious to you driving on main streets. Just be careful out there.

PincheOgro1

imported post

OC

appreciate your input. I have, since posting in here last night, been reading more of the penal codes.

I didn't think they would have a GUN SHOW in a SCHOOL AREA in the first place, and there had to be some knowledge that GUNS were going to be there, going to and from the parking lot. A SECURE PARKING LOT, maybe 100 feet or so from the entrance. To not think this to be the case is ludicrous.

I am a law abiding citizen, pro police, pro 2A. I believe that I have done more to ensure I would not be breaking the law, than probably 95% of other new gun owners. I have met people with guns, and talking to them, mentioning parts of penal codes, they were totally oblivious to. I also have learned more, just since last night.

In my job, I get to meet and be around LEO's almost on a nightly basis, (most don't care to discuss anything, or know little about the subject), but the few that do talk with me have provided good info.

I got irritated with people (in here) telling me I had commited a FELONY, I was going to jail, My house was going to get stormed by LEO's, and after reading madly the penal codes again, last night, I just don't see how that could be possible.

I initially posted to let every one know that I had no problems carrying to various retail outlets, and I thought that was a good thing. I wasn't expecting a barage of condemnation, or mis-information.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
I initially posted to let every one know that I had no problems carrying to various retail outlets, and I thought that was a good thing. I wasn't expecting a barage of condemnation, or mis-information.
Yes, it is a good thing that your OC went well and you had no bad encounters. Please don't interpret our concern as condemnation- our desire is that everyone who participates is able to do so without being arrested, charged or incarcerated. This is why we show up to share information. I would hope others would intercede, should I have a mistep or circulate incorrect information that would cause harm to myself or others.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I wish terrorists and Arabic speakers wouldn't be lumped together as one. For one thing, seeing posts which depict terrorists as being Arabic speakers will drive away any potential Arabic speakers who are interested in open carrying. It also potentially paints open carriers as xenophobic or racist, neither of which I believe is true. Let's try to keep our game face on so the Brady bunch and other naysayers have nothing negative to say about any of us.

PincheOgro1

imported post

I made no reference to any nationality. I refered to me not looking like a wild eyed crazed cave dwelling allah allah allah chanting terrorist. That could be almost anyone

The Nomadd

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
I understand everyones input and I appreciate it. I think that the LEO's knew there was a gun show going on and may have just looked the other way. Besides I do not look like a CRAZED allah allah allah chanting TERRORIST, nor a MALL NINJA.What ever, it is overanyway. I do believe the PC states that "You have to be aware that you are indeed in a GFSZ", anyway. At least for it to be a felony. But the hassle still wouldn't be very pleasant.

Yeah... Ask Theseus about that one...