• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Handling?

AbNo

imported post

kparker wrote:
Newb's first pistol is mag-safety'd. So he gets used to the idea he can pull the trigger with one in the chamber...

I could see a person who becomes accustomed to a mag safety choosing not to clear the chamber because the disconnect "should" handle it, and then ND

Omigosh, people!  Those who do the above are way, way too dangerous to own a firarm of any type.  What part of violating the 4 rules are justified by the presence of a mag disconnect?

Exactly what I was saying. A magdisco (not to be confused with a Disco Magazine) can cause complacency.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

kparker wrote:
Newb's first pistol is mag-safety'd. So he gets used to the idea he can pull the trigger with one in the chamber...

I could see a person who becomes accustomed to a mag safety choosing not to clear the chamber because the disconnect "should" handle it, and then ND

Omigosh, people! Those who do the above are way, way too dangerous to own a firarm of any type. What part of violating the 4 rules are justified by the presence of a mag disconnect?

Tomahawk,

kparker seemed to think that modifying your gun in any way is a bad idea

Sorry, that's not what I said. What I did say was "modifying it so that it no longer operates as described in the manual of arms is a bad idea". So go ahead, change the sights, the grips, put in stronger/weaker springs, get the trigger smoothed, etc, etc--all good.
Why would anyone have a reason to pull the trigger when the magazine is removed, I can only think of a couple, and they are only related to defensive or offensive scenarios.

Maybe if you have to pull the trigger to release the slide during field stripping, well that is one thing, but you should always, always double check to make sure the gun is not loaded, and nothing is in the chamber.

AbNo

imported post

openryan wrote:
kparker wrote:

Omigosh, people!  Those who do the above are way, way too dangerous to own a firarm of any type.  What part of violating the 4 rules are justified by the presence of a mag disconnect?

Tomahawk,

Sorry, that's not what I said.  What I did say was "modifying it so that it no longer operates as described in the manual of arms is a bad idea".  So go ahead, change the sights, the grips, put in stronger/weaker springs, get the trigger smoothed, etc, etc--all good.  
Why would anyone have a reason to pull the trigger when the magazine is removed, I can only think of a couple, and they are only related to defensive or offensive scenarios.

Maybe if you have to pull the trigger to release the slide during field stripping, well that is one thing, but you should always, always double check to make sure the gun is not loaded, and nothing is in the chamber.

*facepalm*

AGAIN, we're talking about a neophyte to the world of guns.

Drewesque

imported post

AbNo wrote:
openryan wrote:
kparker wrote:

Omigosh, people! Those who do the above are way, way too dangerous to own a firarm of any type. What part of violating the 4 rules are justified by the presence of a mag disconnect?

Tomahawk,

Sorry, that's not what I said. What I did say was "modifying it so that it no longer operates as described in the manual of arms is a bad idea". So go ahead, change the sights, the grips, put in stronger/weaker springs, get the trigger smoothed, etc, etc--all good.

*facepalm*

AGAIN, we're talking about a neophyte to the world of guns.

Hell, even if we aren't, I know some folks who know better but get complacent. There is one guy who used to compete that I will not allow near any gun of mine. He has had three negligent discharges (that I know of), all of which were easily avoidable. Luckily, no one has been hurt.

Tomahawk

imported post

openryan wrote:
Why would anyone have a reason to pull the trigger when the magazine is removed, SNIP

Again: to decock the pistol after unloading it without putting the magazine back in, or in case the bad guy doesn't stop to wait for you to finish inserting a fresh magazine.

If you like your magazine safety, keep it the way it is. It's your gun.

EDIT: post edited to remove my cranky attitude.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
openryan wrote:
Why would anyone have a reason to pull the trigger when the magazine is removed, SNIP
Okay, lasttime: to decock the pistol after unloading it without putting the magazine back in, or in case the bad guy doesn't stop to wait for you to finish inserting a fresh magazine.

Of course, these have both been discussed at length, for those of us who bothered to read the rest of the thread.

If you like your magazine safety, keep it the way it is. It's your gun.
I covered this above, and I think this is a great reason to not have a magazine safety.

muzz3256

imported post

Virginia Code reads:

§ 18.2-282. Pointing, holding, or brandishing firearm, air or gas operated weapon or object similar in appearance; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured. However, this section shall not apply to any person engaged in excusable or justifiable self-defense. Persons violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor or, if the violation occurs upon any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds or upon public property within 1,000 feet of such school property, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

B. Any police officer in the performance of his duty, in making an arrest under the provisions of this section, shall not be civilly liable in damages for injuries or death resulting to the person being arrested if he had reason to believe that the person being arrested was pointing, holding, or brandishing such firearm or air or gas operated weapon, or object that was similar in appearance, with intent to induce fear in the mind of another.

C. For purposes of this section, the word "firearm" means any weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel single or multiple projectiles by the action of an explosion of a combustible material. The word "ammunition," as used herein, shall mean a cartridge, pellet, ball, missile or projectile adapted for use in a firearm.

I personally would not do it.