• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PA's lawful purpose defense to carying on K-12 school grounds may get a test soon!

CowboyKen

imported post

As to the legality, or NOT, of carrying a firearm in the Post Office there is a very good article here: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Concealed-carry-in-a-post-office-may-lead-to-rude-awakening

It is rather long so I won't post it unless someone asks me to.

There was also a case last year with a conviction under the CFR that was upheld on appeal. http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_07_06-2008_07_12.shtml#1215449415

Again this is fairly long.

I don't care if you carry in the Post Office but you should know that you could be fined and spend some time in jail as a result.

Ken

david.ross

imported post

I did call the public defender and spoke with her.

She won't discuss any details in the case over privacy matters.

She gave me her email, and I'll be forwarding her the information about the statute and information to the NRA-ILA. Perhaps the NRA might chip in, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure they've much of a chance without appealing to the higher courts, which would set precedence. Who knows where the case will go.

A case where a person is arrested for a POW. He attempts to give the "lawful purpose is self-defense" excuse and the judge denies such stating while it may be a conceivable lawful purpose, it's not common lawful purpose.
http://www.pacourts.us/OpPosting/Superior/out/a13032_09.pdf

turbodog

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
A case where a person is arrested for a POW. He attempts to give the "lawful purpose is self-defense" excuse and the judge denies such stating while it may be a conceivable lawful purpose, it's not common lawful purpose.
While one can argue that a knife has other "concievable" uses besides self-defense,
I don't think a pistol can ever be considered as is being carried for any other concievable use BUT self-defense. By a law-abiding citizen that is. That would make it a "common" lawful purpose don't you think?

david.ross

imported post

Even so, there is no apparent case law.

I'm not sure of the specifics of the PA court system. So I'll just attempt to theorize how a case may go.

If the judge is willing to throw the case out, great. The judge will has to go by what the law says, so the judge may not throw the case. The guy is welcomed to file an execution of stay which the judge may approve. He can then go appeal to the courts and have the case heard by the court of common pleas(not sure which court he would appeal). From there precedent would be set there to the court of common pleas, which wouldn't be state level. If the judge at the court of common pleas say guilty then he can appeal to the commonwealth court of Pennsylvania which would be state wide.

I'd hope for the best, though what I'd really love is the court to come sit in the commonwealth court so nobody would have any say in the matter ever again when being carried for self-defense.

Swampbeast

imported post

Mike wrote:
Right - and I have personally searched for and read all the Section 912 cases and only one even discussed the lawful purpose exception but avoided applying it choosing to duck the issue and find that the person did not have constructive possession in his vehicle (he gave handgun to girlfriend to hold) - interesting, authorities never went back and recharged the girlfriend!

Reminds me of Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men - see http://tinyurl.com/552voq

Lawful purpose exception? You can't handle the Lawful Purpose Exception!
Thats funny Mike, and although I'm not getting my hopes up, I do hope that they can handle the lawful purpose exception! We need it!

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

For a firearm, it would bedifficult to make "self-defense" a not common lawful purpose since that's exactly the reason for issuance of the majority of all LTCFs in the Commonwealth.

copfalldown

imported post

FYI... He is not going to plea. January 7th 2010 in Union County, Lewisburg, PA.

Just a side note... I don't understand why it's gone this far, but I can't help wondering if someone isn't afraid of the defendant. It almost seems personal. The defendant is a disabled combat veteran who has survived three deployments to Iraq. On the last he suffered the loss of his team and a leg as well as 2 months in a coma. I know this isn't the issue but I know he would greatly appreciate the support of Veterans and NRA members until this is finally decided.

The NRA-ILA will be representing him.