• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit holder "badge"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I don't agree with the OP, I noticed several of the initial responders flambeed his arse. That seems to be typical of this site, yes?
Except for a few borderline replies, I see a debate of the facts from people with strong beliefs. We are encouraged to be self-moderating and formal moderating is generally done with a light hand insofar as that proves effective. There are stronger means available.

Please report any over the line rule violations, especially personal insults.

Edward Peruta

If controversy causes conversations!!!

Here are some facts to consider:

If controversy causes conversations, that lead to solutions, then let's be a controversial as possible!!

LAW ENFORCEMENT WILL BE MORE CONCERNED WITH EVERYONEDISPLAYING BADGES THEN THE WILL WITH INDIVUALS LEGALLY CARRYING FIREARM.

I legally own one or more firearms.

I possess one or more state issued permits to carryfirearms.

I legally carry firearms in several states while travelingthroughout the country.

I am known by many members of law enforcement to legallycarry firearms.

I legally carry my firearm(s) OPENLY or CONCEALED dependingon my location, circumstances and the laws in place regarding carrying firearm.

I regularly carry my holstered exposed firearm, (withoutincident), into local government buildings, banks, supermarkets, conveniencestores, restaurants, doctors offices etc.

I am a firm believer in the right to KEEP and BEAR arms.

I am a firm believer in an individual's right to carry theirfirearm(s) OPENLY or CONCEALED.

I am a firm believer that individuals who OPENLY carry theirfirearm are sending a message to others, particularly law enforcement, that thefirearm is being carried legally.

When I carry my handgun, I prefer to carry it holstered and EXPOSED unless there issome reason such as winter weather, or a social need to wear a sports coat orsuit, that causes the firearm to be covered/concealed.
I am keenly aware of the fact that females who carryfirearms tend to wear clothing that presents the need or desire to carry theirfirearms concealed. I cannot imagineexcept in unique circumstances, a female carrying an exposed holstered firearm whilein an evening gown.

This issue arose because of several arrests in the State ofConnecticut where individuals, (James Goldberg and Richard Burgess), were arrestedand taken into custody while in possession of VALID PERMITS to carry their firearms openlyor concealed.

The idea of displaying a BADGE in addition to a VALID PERMITcame from legal arguments made by government during the Federal Court cases regardingOPEN CARRY of firearms.

The government, to justify and explain the arrests, presented oral argumentsthat individuals who wear badges DON"T CAUSE ANNOYANCE OR ALARM.

IN A PERFECT WORLD:

In a perfect world, anyone who is not disqualified from possessing firearmsshould be allowed to acquire, possess and carry firearms without pre approvalor permits issued by a government agency.

In a perfect world, those who have been issued permits to carry firearms shouldNOT be subject to arrest if carrying their firearm as permitted.

In a perfect world, those who dislike seeing firearmscarried, (openly or concealed), by others should NOT be permitted to makecriminal complaints using their personal beliefs or fears to interfere withsomeone who is legally exercising a constitutional right to bear arms.

WE DON'T LIVE IN A PERFECT WORLD:

The State of Connecticut and federal courts in the SecondCircuit that have addressed at least two arrests of individuals who werecarrying their firearms openly with VALID PERMITS to do so, and upheld thepolice conduct based on QUALIFIED IMMUNITY because the issue in UNRESOLVED.

In a manner of protest to the governments outrageousargument regarding the dispaly of BADGES, I decided to obtain and display a BADGEto prove the folly of their argument.

Anyone who knows me, (Peruta v. San Diego), knows that Ihave skin in the Second Amendment issue.
I have in the past, and will in the future, put my moneywhere my mouth when necessary to protect my Constitutional Rights.

For those that enjoy rational state firearm laws withrational enforcement of same, I can only say that I envy each and every one of you.

But rest assured, If I wasn't 65 years old and out of shape,I would NOT hesitate to wear my firearm exposed in a shoulder holster wearing nothingmore than a Speedo and the required permit.

The BADGE is nothing more that my way of expressing thestupidity of the governments arguments to the Federal Courts.

For more information on what we are dealing with inConnecticut, everyone can visit www.SJtalkshow.com on Saturdays at 5pm easternand participate in lively discussions about a variety of topics with particularattention to issues involving the rights to KEEP and BEAR arms at the Federaland State level.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Why not just become a cop, then I could see you wearing a badge with your gun. Will solve a lot of your problems.

I will defend your right to carry with a vengeance, I will not, and do not condone what I see as deception.

Edward Peruta

Why not just become a cop, then I could see you wearing a badge with your gun. Will solve a lot of your problems.

I will defend your right to carry with a vengeance, I will not, and do not condone what I see as deception.

Been there and done that.

I come from a family of Law Enforcement and firefighters and was a police officer myself between 1969-1971.

It's more than deception, and if you can't understand why then I'll just have to live with that.

I've spoken to several individuals in CT who totally understand the logic behind what I'm suggesting.'

RU serious

Except for a few borderline replies, I see a debate of the facts from people with strong beliefs. We are encouraged to be self-moderating and formal moderating is generally done with a light hand insofar as that proves effective. There are stronger means available.

Please report any over the line rule violations, especially personal insults.
Fair enough, thanks.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I've spoken to several individuals in CT who totally understand the logic behind what I'm suggesting.'

Well I am not sure you are explaining it too well actually. Seems there is a hint that you are going to wear the badge as a political statement that is to indicate that police are no better than citizens. While I agree with that position, I don't agree that sporting some CCW badge is going to convey that message and I am fairly sure about my position from the comments here.

Overall IMHO it is just going to make you look like and become labeled as a goofball cop wannabie. Within a few short weeks the law enforcement officers in your area will have nicknamed you "barney with a badge" or other similar and as time wears on they will probably send rookies to deal with you just so they can haze them a bit.

You guys have some wild stuff happening up there in CT so I would not be surprised at all if your opinion is not more valid than mine, I just hope you get the jokers running the show reigned in soon.

Good luck

JoeSparky

Centurion
In the context presented by Mr. Peruta (sp) I'd suggest an OPEN CARRY PROTEST complete with carried signs and with OBVIOUSLY FAKE card board or tin badges worn next to the otherwise lawfully carried sidearms in the jurisdictions these arrests have precipitated the State arguing that the presence of badges CALMS. Maybe even by those attired as silent film era comedy cops! LOL