• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal experience, being ridiculed, mocked, laughed at

solus

I suspect that this issue (potential for mockery and ridicule) may be the real reason that many 2A supporters will not open carry.

really...and there is a river in Egypt called 'de nile'...

Well, quit looking as you have now found your excuse...so pull your shirt over your firearm and go forth believing your perceptional folly...

ipse

Last edited:

just James

WalkingWolf, you had some good advice a few posts earlier. Some people just wish to be obstinate, and should be ignored. Out in public, and on Internet forums.

solus

WalkingWolf, you had some good advice a few posts earlier. Some people just wish to be obstinate, and should be ignored. Out in public, and on Internet forums.

even the insult is second handed and indirect...rof...

ipse

WalkingWolf

even the insult is second handed and indirect...rof...

ipse

The best part it leaves them wondering if they are on ignore, and if their posts can be seen. But alas, the cat is out of the bag now. Wonder if he will be along shortly to throw a long winded temper tantrum.

DWCook

Activist Member
I've had people mock me just because of open carrying, it's best to just ignore them. The kind of people who feel the need to mock someone for carrying a sidearm are the same people who will scream for help when it's needed. I carry for protection which "helps" me in times of need. All of us including the mockers dial 911 to get help. So laughing at someone who is carrying is the same as you being laughed at for calling 911 for help. One difference, is me carrying gives me better protection until law enforcement arrives. Please let me know if I confuse anyone, I'm slightly exhausted and doing school work at the moment haha!

solus

I've had people mock me just because of open carrying, it's best to just ignore them. The kind of people who feel the need to mock someone for carrying a sidearm are the same people who will scream for help when it's needed. I carry for protection which "helps" me in times of need. All of us including the mockers dial 911 to get help. So laughing at someone who is carrying is the same as you being laughed at for calling 911 for help. One difference, is me carrying gives me better protection until law enforcement arrives. Please let me know if I confuse anyone, I'm slightly exhausted and doing school work at the moment haha!

Moderator, sorry for the duplicate post but the subject matter & information is the same and directing to another thread might cause confusion...

WRONG, therefore, please cease spreading the myth the nice LEs have to respond to citizen's emergencies, quote: They don’t even have to come when you call. In most states the government and police owe no legal duty to protect individual citizens from criminal attack. The District of Columbia’s highest court spelled out plainly the “fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen. (Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1, 4 (D.C. 1981), quoting the trial court decision.)

The general rule of law in the United States is that government owes a duty to protect the public in general, but owes no legal duty to protect any particular person from criminal attack. Neither the U.S. Constitution nor the federal civil rights laws require states to protect citizens from crime. As a federal appeals court bluntly put it, ordinary citizens have “no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen.” (Bowers v. DeVito, 686F. 2nd 616, 618 (7th Cir. 1982)) unquote. http://fee.org/articles/just-dial-91...ce-protection/

ipse

OC for ME

Cops show up when not needed and show up late when needed. Rarely is a cop around when you actually need him. My personal experience, I have only been mocked by cops while OCing. The cop(s) knew OC was not against the law and yet they "detained" me to voice their opinions on OC and OCers. Not one citizen, that I am aware of, has ever mocked me while I was OCing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Moderator, sorry for the duplicate post but the subject matter & information is the same and directing to another thread might cause confusion...

WRONG, therefore, please cease spreading the myth the nice LEs have to respond to citizen's emergencies, quote: They don’t even have to come when you call. In most states the government and police owe no legal duty to protect individual citizens from criminal attack. The District of Columbia’s highest court spelled out plainly the “fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen. (Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1, 4 (D.C. 1981), quoting the trial court decision.)

The general rule of law in the United States is that government owes a duty to protect the public in general, but owes no legal duty to protect any particular person from criminal attack. Neither the U.S. Constitution nor the federal civil rights laws require states to protect citizens from crime. As a federal appeals court bluntly put it, ordinary citizens have “no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen.” (Bowers v. DeVito, 686F. 2nd 616, 618 (7th Cir. 1982)) unquote. http://fee.org/articles/just-dial-91...ce-protection/

ipse

I was in front of a public official today when they called the cops on me. My crime? I asked to inspect some records .... no chit .... a nice "Can I see these records?" and a "You need to put that in writing" response where I said "No I don't" nicely .. then 911 call.

Cops never showed up. I was disappointed .. I so wanted to file some civil suits ...

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I suspect that this issue (potential for mockery and ridicule) may be the real reason that many 2A supporters will not open carry.

It isn't just OC that falls victim to this. I know those whose only reason for not CCing is a fear that family or friends will think them to be paranoid or a "gun nut".

Those who claim to OC with any intention of "educating" or normalizing cannot completely fail to give "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind." But those who wish to exercise their rights cannot be beholden to the irrational views of everyone with whom they may cross paths.

Those who OC without any thought whatsoever to the opinions of others, or even overt hostility to others' views, are kind of missing the point of OCDO, I think.

Charles

just James

It isn't just OC that falls victim to this. I know those whose only reason for not CCing is a fear that family or friends will think them to be paranoid or a "gun nut".

Those who claim to OC with any intention of "educating" or normalizing cannot completely fail to give "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind." But those who wish to exercise their rights cannot be beholden to the irrational views of everyone with whom they may cross paths.

Those who OC without any thought whatsoever to the opinions of others, or even overt hostility to others' views, are kind of missing the point of OCDO, I think.

Charles

There are also those people who have a psychological makeup, or personality which would never let them ignore being belittled or mocked. They would never "turn the other cheek", even when it would be appropriate to do so. People with that type of personality probably should not carry a firearm, open or concealed.

solus

There are also those people who have a psychological makeup, or personality which would never let them ignore being belittled or mocked. They would never "turn the other cheek", even when it would be appropriate to do so. People with that type of personality probably should not carry a firearm, open or concealed.

just, please take a second & explain who 'those people' or 'them' or the infamous 'they' are? what characteristics are we looking for?

please describe psychological make-up or personality or type of personality you are referring to? what behaviour traits are those/them/they exhibiting?

i certainly need this bit of information to assure when i run into 'those people' or 'them' or 'they' coupled with the descriptors of the psychological make-up or type of personality i can recognize the firearm carrying individuals who is exhibiting 'that type of personality' behaviour so i can take immediate action to vacate the area as the environment might become dangerous for all concerned.

with bated breath i await your response so i might mount my surveillance for individuals such as you will identify in my daily escapades.

ipse