• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pet Peeves

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
But ima ask agin: who taught you these ancient Chinese driving secrets your so attached to that no one else does?

Uhm, duh....an ancient Chinese guy of course. :lol::p
PaiMeiPromo.jpg

frommycolddeadhands

1.) Does anyone actually think that?
2.) In case anyone is unsure, a.) gravity is not caused by centrifugal force, and b.) centrifugal force does not exist.

Yep. There was a guy who used to drop by the office to hit on a femal co-worker. During his rants and raves he expounded that gravity was based upon centrifugal force, and that if the earth ever stopped rotating we would all go flying off into space.

He also believed that an attic apartment would be COOLER than a basement apartment because "The radiation from the sun would heat the ground faster than it would heat the air".

He had about half a dozen other ideas that came up. After two days of listening to this nonsense, and trying to explain basic science to him, I gave up. He didn't get it, didn't want to get it, and would argue tooth and nail to defend his ideas.

I asked my co-worker politely to keep that goon out of the office. She obliged.

stainless1911

Banned
Sounds like your average dumbocrat to me...

Those motorcycles that have the handlebars so high the driver looks like an ape in a tree. Those people look soooo stupid it isnt even amusing. Find some other way to air out your armpits.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Yep. There was a guy who used to drop by the office to hit on a femal co-worker. During his rants and raves he expounded that gravity was based upon centrifugal force, and that if the earth ever stopped rotating we would all go flying off into space.

He also believed that an attic apartment would be COOLER than a basement apartment because "The radiation from the sun would heat the ground faster than it would heat the air".

He had about half a dozen other ideas that came up. After two days of listening to this nonsense, and trying to explain basic science to him, I gave up. He didn't get it, didn't want to get it, and would argue tooth and nail to defend his ideas.

I asked my co-worker politely to keep that goon out of the office. She obliged.

AHA! THAT'S IT! THERE'S THE CONNECTION!

This explains everything. HE taught stainless1911 how to drive! :idea:

stainless1911

Banned
Thats sorta what I was getting at.

Ever had kids bouncing around in the back seat? They weigh a lot less than we do, yet you can feel them moving the car around. Now if you are 10-2 or 9-3, and you turn the wheel, both your shoulders, head, back all move around, not only does this affect the car, but also your point of view in relation to the car.

Metalhead47

Thats sorta what I was getting at.

Ever had kids bouncing around in the back seat? They weigh a lot less than we do, yet you can feel them moving the car around. Now if you are 10-2 or 9-3, and you turn the wheel, both your shoulders, head, back all move around, not only does this affect the car, but also your point of view in relation to the car.

Dude where are you coming up with this?? Driving with both hands on a straight or curved road, your shoulders don't move at all. Making a 90* intersection turn, the movement is slight. One hand on the wheel, then your shoulders move, especially on a tight turn! (not to mention with palming the wheel like that, it doesn't take much more than a pothole to yank it out of your hands).

You keep avoiding my question. Where is your source?? A quick google of "driving hands position" comes back with page after page of BOTH HANDS. The argument is over where to put them both. You show me a single credible source, ANYWHERE, other than some guy on an interwebz forum, that advocates driving without both hands on the wheel.

And again, if what you say is so right, how come every single professional driver out there is trained otherwise? Race car, police, CDL, drivers ed, IIHS, everyone says keep both hands on the wheel for maximum control!

Metalhead47

Thinking that a license of some sort from a .gov is "legitimate" or lends itself some credibility is also a pet peeve.:D

Oh I'm not even asking for any kind of govt "license," I'm saying show me one LEGITIMATE source that endorses what you have said. That is, an organization that trains, teaches, insures, organizes competition, or is otherwise legally responsible for the content of it's curriculum or otherwise a recognized authority on safe driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stainless1911

Banned
Since when did a person need to go to a club, organization or school to learn anything? I learned from people who know more about something than I did. I learn by listening to what I was told, from several different sources, thinking about it, and practicing it. When someone presents a new idea, I'll consider if it makes sense, I may even try it thier way for a bit, to see if there is something to be learned or gained by it. I watch things, listen, read. This beats any curriculum any day.

Metalhead47

Since when did a person need to go to a club, organization or school to learn anything? I learned from people who know more about something than I did. I learn by listening to what I was told, from several different sources, thinking about it, and practicing it. When someone presents a new idea, I'll consider if it makes sense, I may even try it thier way for a bit, to see if there is something to be learned or gained by it. I watch things, listen, read. This beats any curriculum any day.

And you have apparently picked up all their bad habit and faulty logic as well.

When you want to learn to do something WELL, you get TRAINING from an accountable, recognized source. Want to learn marksmanship? You go to a marksmanship school. Self defense tactics? You go to a self defense school. How to fly a plane? You go to a flight school. Want to learn physics? You take physics class. Otherwise you end up thinking gravity comes from centrifugal force.

This is even more so for any professional who's now legally liable for their skills at that particular task.

What you are saying is the driving equivalent of "if the earth stops spinning we'll fly off into space!"

It's extremely rare that EVERY SINGLE SOURCE agrees on how to do something. So when that actually happens, THEY'RE PROBABLY RIGHT! You want to go sticking your fingers in your ears & chanting LALALALAcan'thearyou that's your business, it's your car & your life you're endangering. But when you go suggesting others should do the same, AND have absolutely zero to back it up, someone's gonna call BS on you.