• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to Restore South Carolina Open Carry Rights Now Posted!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
Mike wrote:
Looks like there already is an open cary bill filed - H 3003 - so let's get this petition moving.

Mike, Ill start this post out by thanking you for your efforts. I applaud them and personally, Id like to get with you to discover some of the tactics and practices you've made use of.

I can go over where Im coming from and where Id like to go with all of this.

As to H3003, Grass Roots has stated there are some problems with this bill. They havent given me the specifics and I supposeits because they have said they cant get a lawyer to look at it (I think its funds) My wife and I have joined Grass Roots but the fact is that Grass Roots is geared towards the CC crowd.

Im not saying they wouldnt support OC but I dont know. hp hobo knows what Im talking about.

See Doug's post over in the SC sectin of the site. Thats where its been left right now if Im not mistaken.
AA - have you read the bill carefully? Do YOU see any probelms with the open carry part of it?? I reaDY TO SHIFT FIRES AND START DOING RADIO ADS IN sc IF YOU GUYS ARE UP FOR IT.

AllAmerican

imported post

You let me know what to do. Im sure there are a few others here who will respond to the call as well.

In fact I know the program director at one station and a high ranking sales guy at another both in the Florence area.

I do radio time on each of them on occasion.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AllAmerican wrote:
You let me know what to do. Im sure there are a few others here who will respond to the call as well.

In fact I know the program director at one station and a high ranking sales guy at another both in the Florence area.

I do radio time on each of them on occasion.
Find an advertizing guy who knows the SC market - we need good rates for a flurry of 5 and 15 second spots in all the metro areas.

Robert Butler

imported post

"As to H3003, Grass Roots has stated there are some problems with this bill. They havent given me the specifics and I supposeits because they have said they cant get a lawyer to look at it (I think its funds)"

As with most things political, the issue of money - or lack thereof - comes into play.

I am the person responsible for looking at the legislation and doing so is not at the top of my list of priorities right now. Why? Because my daughter just had surgery, I need surgery, and I have been having health problems. Additionally, I needed to draft proposed legislation to be introduced when the legislative session begins that will allow CWP carry in restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages and to allow CWP carry in vehicles on school grounds. Getting such legislation introduced is more important than analyzing legislation that will not even be considered for weeks or months. It is just a matter of triage, not neglect.

"My wife and I have joined Grass Roots but the fact is that Grass Roots is geared towards the CC crowd."

Thank for joining, but you are not correct about the CC crowd.

GrassRoots leaders were responsible for killing NRA supported legislation (H. 4918) in 1998 that would have required the registration of ALL PRIVATE transfers of ALL firearms. That is not just a CC issue. It was this fight that motivated GrassRoots leadership to turn GrassRoots into a gun rights organization.

GrassRoots was responsible for the amendments to the Shooting Range Protection Act of 2000 that changed the bill from one only protecting outdoor shotgun ranges that would cap membership to one that protected all - rifle, handgun, and shotgun - outdoor shooting ranges with no requirement to cap membership. The GrassRoots changes also protected the action shooting sports such as IDPA, USPSA, and SASS. That is not just a CC issue. The NRA and their state affiliate blackballed GrassRoots for demanding that all shooting ranges be protected instead of just the shotgun ranges.

In 2002, GrassRoots was responsible for changing the law to allow firearms to be possessed in highway rest areas by all and to be carried in highway rest areas by CWP holders. It used to be a felony to do so. That is not just a CC issue. The NRA leadership tried to kill this bill.

In 2002, GrassRoots was responsible for changing the law to allow anyone to possess a firearm in their vehicle in the parking lot of a restaurant that served alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption. It used to be a three year mesdemeanor, and thus a lifetime firearms disability from the federal government. That is not just a CC issue. The NRA leadership tried to kill this bill.

GrassRoots has fought to kill or amend every bill that negatively impacted the gun rights of hunters such as the Palmetto Trial bills that would require hunters to carry a gun case with them while hunting near the Palmetto Trail just in case the hunter needed to cross the Palmetto Trail since the trail could only be crossed with an unloaded and cased weapon. That is not just a CC issue.

GrassRoots fought against the anti bomb legislation until it was amended to protect the rights of reloaders. That is not just a CC issue.

GrassRoots fought against the SC Homeland Security legislation until it was amended to protect the rights of firearms instructors. As originally drafted, the bill would have made felons out of firearms instructors who innocently taught someone firearms safety and then that student innocently gave a donation to a group that he did not know was eventually designated as a terrorist group. That is not just a CC issue.

I could go on and on about the anti gun rights bills that GrassRoots has helped kill, but there should be no need to do so here and now. My point has been made and can be expanded upon.

"Im not saying they wouldnt support OC but I dont know."

Well, I do know. GrassRoots will support an open carry bill.

Here is a very simple rule that GrassRoots follows when deciding whether to support or fight any particular piece of legislation:

If it is anti gun rights, we fight it.

If it is pro gun rights, we support it.

Pretty simple.

Rob

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Robert Butler wrote:
Well, I do know. GrassRoots will support an open carry bill.

Here is a very simple rule that GrassRoots follows when deciding whether to support or fight any particular piece of legislation:

If it is anti gun rights, we fight it.

If it is pro gun rights, we support it.

Pretty simple.

Rob
Thanks Rob. Shoot me an email at Mike at OpenCarry.org - John and I will help you starting tomorrow, Monday. Time to get hot! All I needed to know is that GrassRoots SC supports open carry reform in SC. After all, SC's sister state of NC's S. Ct. said long ago that in State v. Kerner that the state cannot even require a poermit to open carry.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mr. Butler's list of Grassroots' accomplishments is very impressive --very much like VCDL here in VA -- and I'm pleased to hear that the organization will also support OC. I had no idea the NRA was willing to support some of the bills listed here, and its really great they were stopped by Grassroots.

My daughter goes to College of Charleston, and now has a firearm for self defense. If she stays in SC after graduating this spring, I will certainly ask her to become a member.

I'm facing some major health problems myself right now, so I understand the effect it can have on priorities and plans. The best of luck to you Bob, and keep up the good work.

Dutch

AllAmerican

imported post

Thanks for the post Robert. Hey... sorry... I dont know GRGRSC's position on everything. I just joined! LOL

Did pick up some stickers at the gun show today too. Thought Id see Bob there but he was yesterdays guy.

I gotta get with Ben on the website.

Check the SC section of the forum here as I responded to your idea of an Open Carry outting.

Let us know what we need to do to help. Ill be there.

BTW, Id like to attend an LTS as time permits. Sorry to hear of surgury, I know what thats like.

Robert Butler

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Welcome Robert Butler, Rob, my friend.

I hope that whatever level of participation here that you choose makes your life easier. You have given us so much of your life.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin
My main reason for posting was because the Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners said I needed to look at this site since GrassRoots was mentioned. He included a link to this thread.

I wanted to set the record straight as to the facts. I hope that all can see that GrassRoots is NOT just a CWP organization.

But, the fact remains that the most active pro gun rights people usually are also CWP holders. I wish it were not so, but it seems to be from my years of experience.

If I knew how to motivate the monied shot gun crowd into supporting the 2nd Amendment and not just shooting clays and birds, we would have enough money to win most legislative battles.

Rob

AngelMaker

imported post

What can I do to help? I am stretched on money issues as gun repair has really gone down the drain.

I am a NRA/CWP Instructor for SC and I support OC and I own a gun shop.

Anyone wishing to give me advice or such on how I can really help out, please shoot me an email at grahamsgunshop@aol.com.

Terrence