• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philip on TV with Lori Haas talking about Gun Free Zones

WalkingWolf

Sorry but I have to disagree you here. The reason that 38 Super and other hot 9mm ammo (longer cases) are popular with competition shooters is to make the major power factor of 165 or higher with a high round capacity gun, not to knock over steel targets. The steel targets are set to fall at the lowest power factor legal to use in the particular match. The reason these 9mm are popular is that they allow the shooter to reach the major power factor levels (often a scoring advantage over lower power factors) with the most rounds of ammo in the magazine. The restrictions on the magazines are by length and not capacity or anything else, so a magazine of max length can hold a lot more 9mm rounds than .40 or larger rounds. Fewer reloads means faster times!

The 9mm Luger can be loaded to major power factor levels, but it's very tough on the gun and can produce dangerous pressures, so most don't do it.

BTW, most action pistol competition is OC. Only IDPA requires concealment.

Just from what I have read here I believe a good number of 9mm cc and oc are using hot +P 9mm. Without penetration it boils down to kinetic energy and the 9mm has a slightly higher number. Still a mute point as the theater was a gun free zone.

sidestreet

GFZ (Gun Free Zone) aka..., AFP (A Fool's Paradise)...,

aka..., VDZ (Victim Disarmament Zone)
aka..., TRE (Target Rich Environment)
aka..., LPH (Lori's Play House)
aka..., CRP (Colin's Retirement Plan)
aka..., (feel free to add your own here)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
//
expert.jpg

KBCraig

A face shot in a darkened theater, screaming patrons obstructing, tear gas canister deployed and general mass confusion? Without undue risk of hitting an innocent movie goer, à la friendly fire?
Hypothesizing that a head shot would be impossibly difficult, is just as wrong as claiming that if there had just one legal carrier there, it would have made a difference.

A movie theater is much larger than effective handgun range. A legal carrier could have been three feet away from the shooter, or 30 yards. Could have been in front, or behind, or beside. Could have had a clear stationary shot, or could have been swarmed by the stampede.

There are so many variables, that claiming what an armed defender could or couldn't have done, with any certainty, is pointless and futile.

KBCraig

I doubt the shooter had a ballistic (bullet resistant) vest. I'll bet he had what's often called a tactical vest. I suspect the press reports about him being heavily armored are largely wrong. More likely he was fully decked out as a mall ninja.
It seems you are correct, sir. It's not clear if he also had body armor, but he did order a "tactical vest"; the company has even offered up the receipt.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-james-holmes-not-wearing-ballistic-vest.html

WalkingWolf

It seems you are correct, sir. It's not clear if he also had body armor, but he did order a "tactical vest"; the company has even offered up the receipt.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-james-holmes-not-wearing-ballistic-vest.html

One news source, and I can't remember which one eluded he bought body armor on ebay. I would think that if he had actual armor we would be seeing the police display it as they do in other cases. I have not looked if body armor can be bought on ebay think I will go check.

Wow I guess you can, which considering it is unlawful to sell body armor to a felon that ebay allows it. Holmes was not a felon, but I do not see how ebay sellers could regulate it.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
considering it is unlawful to sell body armor to a felon that ebay allows it. Holmes was not a felon, but I do not see how ebay sellers could regulate it.

You can buy body armor most anywhere. Where did you get the idea it's unlawful to sell to a felon.
In Va, it's a felony to commit a violent crime while wearing it, but I know of no restrictions on buying it.

WalkingWolf

You can buy body armor most anywhere. Where did you get the idea it's unlawful to sell to a felon.
In Va, it's a felony to commit a violent crime while wearing it, but I know of no restrictions on buying it.

I'll try to find the statute, but this is from Steelfender.com

"If you are a convicted felon you are prohibited from possession of Body Armor. Possession of body armor by a convicted felon is strictly illegal under federal law."

18 U.S.C. § 931 : US Code - Section 931: Prohibition on purchase, ownership, or possession of body armor by violent felons

(a) In General. - Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall
be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor,
if that person has been convicted of a felony that is -
(1) a crime of violence (as defined in section 16); or
(2) an offense under State law that would constitute a crime of
violence under paragraph (1) if it occurred within the special
maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.
(b) Affirmative Defense. -
(1) In general. - It shall be an affirmative defense under this
section that -
(A) the defendant obtained prior written certification from
his or her employer that the defendant's purchase, use, or
possession of body armor was necessary for the safe performance
of lawful business activity; and
(B) the use and possession by the defendant were limited to
the course of such performance.
(2) Employer. - In this subsection, the term "employer" means
any other individual employed by the defendant's business that
supervises defendant's activity. If that defendant has no
supervisor, prior written certification is acceptable from any
other employee of the business.

It seems it is unlawful for a felon to possess, except for certain conditions. Surprising that it does not seem to be illegal for them to purchase it. Funny how laws are written.

Last edited:

johnfenter

One good thing.....

I knew I should have been quiet:lol:

On another note.....the nuts are starting to fall out of the Spruce trees and the lawsuits are starting.

If you weren't hurt, you can still get your suit in::lol:

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Lawsuits will get in the news and we'll probably hear more about his history of medications and leftist political action; seems that almost all of these mass shootings involve people with a history of being on Ritalin, Prozac, or something else significantly stronger than aspirin. The media doesn't pursue that connection, do they?!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Like clockwork here he goes claiming we need more gun control. Sigh...what an idiot!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...round-checks-gun-buyers-aurora-033815400.html

This is a rhetorical question,,,,but what in the hell does an AK have to do with Arora?
There go the prices....again!

When Obama talks about gun control, people get scared.
When people get scared, they buy guns.
When people buy guns, prices go up.
When prices go up, people use knives to steal money to buy guns.
When people use knives to steal money, they get their a$$ blown off.

Don't let your a$$ get blown off.

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

I think I've heard that commercial somewhere? :lol:

Oh and AK's had NOTHING to do with Aurora. Which really shows Obama's disconnect with reality even more. He needs to get fired in November.

Last edited:

mk4

:banana:

PistolPackingMomma

This is a rhetorical question,,,,but what in the hell does an AK have to do with Arora?
There go the prices....again!

We need to make that commercial and air it nationwide!!!

Shovelhead

I'm trying to figure out why folks think that because someone has a CHP or is open carrying, it's their responsibility to charge in and take on the armed horde to protect all those people in the theatre.
If someone has a CLEAR shot, game on.

I carry to protect me and mine.
If others choose to dial and wait, more power to them.

Last edited: