• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Piracy on the rise

LEO 229

imported post

I know that if I had a shipI would have mega weapons secured on board. Any pirates would be greeted accordingly.

jollyro12.gif

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I know that if I had a shipI would have mega weapons secured on board. Any pirates would be greeted accordingly.

jollyro12.gif
Do you feel okay? You are starting to sound like me and my dad. He was in the Navy and has repeatedly expressed his disgust at the shipping companies that refuse to arm their crews.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
Obviously, I was kidding about the crank operated machine gun, but I think you knew that anyway :p

As for a real world solution, the government needs to take piracy seriously and dedicateda military response to it. Otherwise, the only real solution is vigilante-ism. I don't know how realistic of an idea that is either, but I'm sure that if a sudden surge of civilian pirate hunting were to make the news, the government would start taking piracy more seriously. The government hates it when civilians do their job for them.
Actually I thought you were serious. I've heard that and much more ridiculous notions presented by well meaning, or just ignorant people that I wasn't sure. Plus (no pun intended) I was cranky last night. :) Sorry for being a grump.

Thundar

imported post

This sort of bad thing does happen to people on yachts all the time. The pirates are often just thugs with a zodiac. To defend your boat I would recommend a 50/50 mix of tracerand regularammo from a reliable rifle with multiple 30 round mags. The idea is that the tracers scare the thugs away. For intruders a shotgun is best on deck and a pistol is usually best in the cramped cabin. Keeping firearms rust free in a saltwater environment is a challenge. Mossberg makes a very nice Mariner shotgun.

Do not play any games with the Coast Guard if they tell you to heave to and prepare for boarding. The rules are very different on a vessel than they are on land.

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Do you feel okay? You are starting to sound like me and my dad. He was in the Navy and has repeatedly expressed his disgust at the shipping companies that refuse to arm their crews.

Gaarrr!!!!

pirate-makeup-160x240-td-Shot_3-0066.jpg