• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning an OC event in VA and have some questions

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
National Park Service: “Conference Call (to discuss rally permit) Postponed Until Further Notice”
Permit is “being reviewed.” I was scheduled to have a conference call with the National Park Service’s permit office tomorrow, Wednesday, at 9AM, and this had been scheduled since early last week. The purpose was to discuss the plans for the rally and the permit for the event to be held at Gravelly Point Park, VA. I could get no explanation from the woman I spoke with regarding why the call had been “postponed until further notice” or when I should expect “further notice.” Believe me, I asked!

I'm not giving up on Gravelly Point, but does anyone have any other ideass for locations that would be "as close to DC as possible?" What about miscellaneous space along major roads near the DC border?  Remember, some of the attendees will come from states that VA does not reciprocate with for carry permits, so state parks would be a no-go.

Your recent experience as outlined above is EXACTLY what all of us have been trying to tell you. You have just been told that you are not getting a permit any time soon, but you are apparently incapable of recognizing even that simple fact. Without a permit, you will be arrested on sight by the first LEO on the scene.

With the exception of parts of the city of Alexandria, and a few isolated areas, ALL of the riverfront from well upstream of DC to well downstream, is federal land. Some of it is park land, some is not, but to use any of it for your purposes you need a permit. It might help you to get a map and learn how to read it. The part of Virginia you are talking about USED to be part of DC. Only part of the land returned to Virginia became private again.

I cannot understand why you refuse to listen to people who are local to the area concerning the logistics of what you are suggesting. Your insistence on identities is just a childish attempt to dismiss the truth. Just because the facts do not agree with what you want to hear does not make it less true.

For my money the closest place to DC you should hold the rally you have described is suburban Atlanta.

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
BARELY ILLEGAL wrote:
National Park Service: “Conference Call (to discuss rally permit) Postponed Until FurtherNotice”
Permit is “being reviewed.” I was scheduled to have a conference call with the National Park Service’s permit office tomorrow, Wednesday, at 9AM, and this had been scheduled since early last week. The purpose was to discuss the plans for the rally and the permit for the event to be held at Gravelly Point Park, VA. I could get no explanation from the woman I spoke with regarding why the call had been “postponed until further notice” or when I should expect “further notice.” Believe me, I asked!

I'm not giving up on Gravelly Point, but does anyone have any other ideass for locations that would be "as close to DC as possible?" What about miscellaneous space along major roads near the DC border? Remember, some of the attendees will come from states that VA does not reciprocate with for carry permits, so state parks would be a no-go.

Your recent experience as outlined above is EXACTLY what all of us have been trying to tell you. You have just been told that you are not getting a permit any time soon, but you are apparently incapable of recognizing even that simple fact. Without a permit, you will be arrested on sight by the first LEO on the scene.

With the exception of parts of the city of Alexandria, and a few isolated areas, ALL of the riverfront from well upstream of DC to well downstream, is federal land. Some of it is park land, some is not, but to use any of it for your purposes you need a permit. It might help you to get a map and learn how to read it. The part of Virginia you are talking about USED to be part of DC. Only part of the land returned to Virginia became private again.

I cannot understand why you refuse to listen to people who are local to the area concerning the logistics of what you are suggesting. Your insistence on identities is just a childish attempt to dismiss the truth. Just because the facts do not agree with what you want to hear does not make it less true.

For my money the closest place to DC you should hold the rally you have described is suburban Atlanta.

They did not deny the permit; they simply delayed the scheduled conference call. To update, I got a call this morning from the National Park Service's permit office saying that the call will take place tomorrow. If the National Park Service does deny the permit, my understanding is that they would be providing a written denial with a reason for the denial. If that happens, it happens, and we'll react, adjust, and continue moving forward with the mission. The mission, to summarize, is to get "as close to DC as possible" and to convey the message: "Restore the Constitution." The specific location of Gravelly Point is not inherent to the mission.

In fact, any back and forth with the National Park Service with the permit would simply be an inititial step in executing the mission and conveying the message. The rally itself is but part of this. The back and forth maneuvering with .gov, state and local gov, other organizations claiming to be conservative or pro-gun rights, etc, etc, the whole process, is part of the mission and the message.

As for LEO's arresting us, we have every intention of meeting with all relevant law enforcement agencies. In fact, law enforcement, government, and military personnell are a major component of our target audience. So of course, we're not trying to surprise them and invite arrest or other incident. See "target audience" below:

Target audience is, in order of priority,

1) The real constitutionalists (especially those who acknowledge that the Constitution is not being followed, those who are fed up with the Supreme Court distorting the English language to expand the meaning of such things as “interstate commerce” “public use” “general welfare” so as to allow for virtually limitless expansion of the federal government.)

2) Second Amendment advocates who acknowledge 2A as a bullwark against tyranny in government (of this group, especially those who take the first part of 2A, “a well regulated militia being neccessary for the security of a free state,” seriously and don’t just dwell on the “right of the people.” I’m not trying to focus my message on the “it’s just about my guns for personal protection” crowd at this priority level. But I am saying that AWRM is neccessary for the security of a free state. IMO, we have no real Militia in the 2A sense and, lo and behold, surprise, surprise, we don’t have a free state. Imagine that.)

3) Law enforcement, national level security services, national level intelligence personnel (especially those who brief higher ups and non-intel “decision makers”). These people receive proffessional intelligence which would most likely not be from the MSM’s spin. As a matter of proffessionalism and practicality, these people would make an effort to know what our demonstration was really about through the course of their official duties. No intel type would brief his superior based purely on MSNBC’s coverage. Our reason for the rally would have to get through to this target audience; it’s their job to get their intel as accurate as possible. So with this audience, I’m not so concerned with media spin.

4) Higher government officials. Like I said, they get good intel, most of the time. At least better than the general public through the MSM. Who knows, maybe one of them will accept an invite to attend? Probably not, though.

5) Finally, the media and the general public. I understand that the MSM will attempt to distort much of our message. I don’t claim any media expertise. But I do think that some of our message will get through. There is Fox News, and there is hope that we might, just might, see a “restore the constitution” sign or at least hear some mention of the constitution needing resotration. Did you see the CNN piece on the Michigan militia? CNN at least gave the “patriots or extremists” a chance to talk, and I heard one of them say the words “it’s not being followed” in regards to the constitution. You see, HIS message got through. I saw it. Now, he’s not trying to win votes or court majority opinion, but, by God, his message got through, at least to me. I’m sure I’m not the only constitutionalist who saw that and said “that so-called extremist has a point.” Which brings me back to my #1 priority audience, the likeminded, a small but determined minority. Perhaps as small as 3%. Although some of the message will be distorted, the simple fact that X amount of legally armed civilians rallied just outside DC will be put out by the MSM. This is almost a case of “the medium is the message” or “a picture speaks a thousand words.” The simple fact that we’re out there should serve to “rally the troops” so to speak, in terms of getting the “small but determined minority” the “3%” to come out if there needs to be a second “Restore the Constitution” rally. If we can show the small but determined minority that, yes, it can in fact be done (even if the MSM doesn’t like it too much or distorts the message), then the prospects of a bigger, second RTC rally, or multiple state and local level rallies would be more likely.

At least increasing our ability to hold a bigger RTC event in the future would be a major guage of success.

How would I quantify that when I got back to GA? I’d look at internet traffic on hard core constitutionalist/ 2A/ libertarian websites and reports from others regarding the “3%’s” enthusiasm for the event and the “small but determined minority”’s appetite for coming out for a second RTC rally. If after-action reports from fellow participants, internet traffic, and other communications were to indicate that our capabilities are improved, that at least the PROSPECT of holding a second, bigger RTC rally had increased, then I will judge the first RTC rally to be a success. And remember, this isn’t about Gravelly Point or any specific location. It’s about gathering as close to DC as possible, wherever that line may be. Wherever that line is, I’d like to see as many Patriots as possible willing to walk right up to it.

So far as “data points,” I can’t really give you a number. I have no control over how many attend. Maybe a handful, maybe a good deal more. But whatever the number, it will demonstrate to the fence sitters and the doubters that at least it can in fact be done. This, I think, will increase our ability to hold a second RTC rally. Now, I’m not neccessarily suggesting I’m actually planning a second rally just yet, but I would feel better at least knowing that our capability to hold a second, bigger rally was there

I understand the risks involved, believe me. And I’m not telling you that I can guarantee “success.” But there is no reward without risk, and the sorry state of our individual liberties forces such bold action. Sure, there’s a chance of unsuccess, meaning “little prospect for a second, bigger rally.” Something could happen to cause that outcome. But what I’m doing and the reasons I’m doing it are worth the risk of “unsuccess.”

MSC 45ACP

imported post

B.I.;

You seem to have a fascination withour Virginia judicial system. Come on up with your rifles and hang out in Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Great Falls or some other nice waterfront area where you can see the Nation's Capital. Plan on an extended stay in one of the cities listed above. If you're lucky, you may even win a visit to thelovely federal facility down in Lorton (also a very historical town) andrub elbows withDick Marcinko's former roomates.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My suggestion to fellow Virginians at this point is that if you do not agree with this idea/response as delineated Do Not Respond - Do Not Reply.

Yata hey