• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pleasant Hill, CA / Brady Campaign Targets Nations due to Open Carry Event

Iopencarry

TJB, go to Contra Costa Open Carry on Facebook and look, they up.

Event went GREAT. Thanks to all that attended. We had over 50 supports and 11 Brady's. 2,5,7 t.v. were all there and we had some great air time. Hope we get good coverage.

Here is RCC press sec Chau talking with chl 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUt1Gs0-X4&feature=player_embedded#!

We were able to collect over 6 large bags of toys. over half of my 1 ton ex van is full.

Dale
CCOC

Iopencarry

C-3
but of coarse, :)

As a side note. While we were at 1900 Contra Costa Blvd, just down the street at 2100 there was an armed Bank Robbery.

from the CC Times "At about 12:12 p.m., the suspect approached a teller window at Bank of America, brandished a silver pistol and presented a demand note for cash, according to police."

Iopencarry

We also had a blood drive today. I do not know how many people were able to make it, as I was #2 to donate today, and forgot to call the Red Cross before they closed for the day.

While we did not plan it this way, we were able to get shirts from them as they had a month long promo going.
They also were giving out their normal "I gave blood today" decals, and these...

bloodbanklogo.jpg

I LOVE THESE

Mike Hawk

Ah, I love it. The Bradys on the news protesting a toy drive. For a bunch of people so seemingly against guns, they shoot themselves in the foot quite often.
Well done, everyone! :banana::monkey

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

While the other channel mentioned the toy drive and took time to exhibit both sides, this video isnt about the open carry event at all. They dont mention the toy drive and the focus is primarily on the Brady Campaigns reaction to people who meet with guns on.

This is the danger in organizing and publicizing large open carry meets. By inviting everyone through a public announcement you give the Brady Campaign something to react to, which creates conflict that the media enjoys and places our group and the anti-gunners on the same level.

Because we already occupy the high ground (having logic, reason, and sobriety of thought), we do not need this kind of disadvantage.

I am totally for the toy drive, blood drive and community clean up- and I believe in conducting open carry during these efforts. But by centralizing this effort into one large group makes advocates a ripe target for anti-gun groups to use to promote their gun free utopia.

If the group is divided into smaller cells (≤4) and operates over a broad territory (>1 location) and it is only announced among supporters, it will be more difficult for Brady bunchers to triangulate a response. The other advantage is that you expose a larger audience to your message/efforts. And while you are at these small, decentralized meetings, you will be able to invite those interested to learn to shoot or tell them where they can partcipate or place their support.

Think of it... instead of one toy drive location with 40 people milling about- you could have 10 locations with 4 people helping out. You also would relieve scheduling conflicts that arrise, because you could have them at all different times of the day to meet the needs of those participating.

JJ

Great Event!

The Brady Campaign protesting this event and bringing more exposure only helped the Open Carry movement.

There are many more people in the general public who will join our cause, after learning their rights, then there are people that are going to join the Brady's.

All these people that had no idea about the legality of Open Carry will seek out more info after seeing the news reports. Self preservation is a normal reaction when confronted with violence. Liberty minded citizens will of course choose self defense of themselves over being helpless victims.

These people, once educated on the ways they are allowed to carry weapons within the law, will exercise these rights and fight along with us to preserve and expand what we have, not standing by as the gun grabbers try to erode our rights further.

In the long run I think large events are going to do more to expand our rights than to restrict them.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
The Brady Campaign protesting this event and bringing more exposure only helped the Open Carry movement.

I was going to leave this alone, but find that I am compelled to respond.

How does going toe-to-toe in a eye-poking contest with the Brady Campaign 'help' the open carry movement?

We live in a State controlled by a democrat anti-gun majority. We narrowly dodged the ban of openly carried unloaded firearms this year. It is known that another piece of legislation like AB1934 is in the works. There will be no lack of votes to pass it, because the invalids are no longer in office.

We are not using the Brady Campaign to advance our cause.... they are using US to advance theirs- and you are participating with them in it by being a large slow moving target for them to exploit. They are telling the sheep that the wolves must be stopped and pointing their fingers at the sheepdogs, calling them a threat to the sheep. The sheep are going to believe them and they will prohibit sheepdogs from doing what they are called to do.

The only way to diffuse this is by taking these slow moving mass events and splitting them up into little groups that are hard to target. In other words, do not engage the enemy on the battlefield of their chosing or utilize the weapons that they are comfortable using. They assmble their troops on an open field using weapons and tactics that rely on home field advantage- artillery, infantry and cavalry. We cannot do likewise, as we occupy enemy territory. We must use sabotage, spies, concealment, skirmishes, diversion, stealth, and insurgency.

You want to announce every mass meet up in a public forum? Great- do it. Make sure the Bradys and LCAV have an invite. Then tell your members not to show. Make other plans, while the antis mill around in front of a Starbucks out in the cold. Get them to waste their time, gas, and money.
Join the Brady Campaign. Attend their meetings and protests. Gain their trust. Suggest protest events, particularly ones that make them vulnerable or waste time, gas, and money. Then turn the protest on its head by orchestrating a counterprotest designed to make them look foolish. Or inflitrate the protest with pro-2A signs.
Play the race card- The Brady Campaign appears comprised of older white women- assert to onlookers that they want minorities disarmed. (This would be effective from pro-gun blacks, hispanics, and asians- provided their group lacks diversity.)
Highjack their message- Chang did this very well in the interview. Yes I HATE gun violence too!- the only way you can confront some gun violence is by being prepared to repel criminals with the right tools.

cato

We are not using the Brady Campaign to advance our cause.... they are using US to advance theirs...

Great points. Brady has been rescued from obscurity by media getting pre-publicized group UOC events. They now have a purpose in CA.

I know how good these events 'feel'. And I know there are hundreds and thousands being introduced to the ideas we support. I know this because I participated in them two years ago. This was not however a media slam dunk or 'win'. I saw a neutral/ negative story and a just neutral story.

Lets quantify the measurable results. How many new e-mail contacts were generated? How many of those will yield an activist? 6, 12, 25? In order to sway the legislature we would need thousands at each event translating into millions of un-compromising new republican voters in a state which just put the dems back in control despite all that they've done to this state.

C3 is spot on. Read up a little on guerrilla tactics to build a base of support before attempting to take the legislature and sheriffs/CoPs head on with conventional activities. UOCers haven't even pursuaded a majority of gun owners that this is the right tactic for the moment. Even those who have stated they would LOC have not been convinced.

And the legal and tactical advice of CGF is routinely ignored despite the fact they ARE THE ONLY GROUP TO HAVE PROVIDED LEGAL DEFENSE AND OFFENCE TO UOCers. http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/about/what-has-cgf-done-for-me-lately

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=347348

And we have my anaysis/prediction. I hope I'm wrong...
We'll not have to worry about these issues for much longer. The legislature will ban UOC next year and the only likely chance of it not going into effect will be Gov. Brown's veto or a 1st A. Lawsuit by CGF.

UOC outreach cannot change the votes in the legislature and its effect on public opinion is limited in the short term. The millions that would be needed to convince the legislature to not do it will not materialize in the next 9 months.

The dems got an even tighter grip on the legislature this past election and with only a majority needed to pass a budget the repubs. are irrelevant.

Last edited: