• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

please explain to me "normal", and explain yourself

j4l

These.
I can remember riding my bicycle (as a kid) with no helmet 'cause they hadn't hit the mainstream yet. Once they were more widely available, I had to wear one. Let your kid ride without one today & you'd probably be accused of child endangerment.

When my dad was in his teens, his older brother was killed in a car crash. No seatbelts back then. Growing up in my family, everyone wore seatbelts.
The rare stories you hear about people surviving a crash only because they were unprotected are vastly outnumbered by people who would be alive if they'd worn their belt.
Ditto for people who are fine in the head after crashing a motorcycle without a helmet.
But in both cases, it's your choice whether or not to protect yourself.

Exactly.
Why carry for protection (the need for which is fairly rare), but not take other steps to guard against more common harms?

Good point there. Saw countless folks brought into my E/R-Trauma Center who either died shortly after an accident (bike/car/boat/ jetski, etc) were dead on arrival, etc. because they didnt take simple,available measures.

Then there are the fates worse than death itself (and believe me, there are some of those) life-long injuries that can be sustained, maimings, loss of limbs, sight, hearing, brain damages, crippling, paralyzations, burns, all sorts. Most of which can be painful for most of all of the rest of their lives.

HandyHamlet

Exactly.
Why carry for protection (the need for which is fairly rare), but not take other steps to guard against more common harms?

Because the need to portray an image is more important.

Full circle.

Last edited:

jrclen

Last word here from me.

I detect a great deal of hypocrisy. The left wants to deny us the right to keep and bear arms because they consider it to be a dangerous and unwarranted activity. And we howl with indignation about that. But some here see no problem at all with getting all snooty about someone enjoying another freedom because they consider at to be a dangerous and unwarranted activity. We have met the enemy and he is us. Over and out. I'm outa here.

HandyHamlet

But some here see no problem at all with getting all snooty about someone enjoying another freedom because they consider at to be a dangerous and unwarranted activity. We have met the enemy and he is us. Over and out. I'm outa here.

No one said anything about unwarranted activity.
You tried to make this about helmet laws.
You tried to make this about you.
And if you think riding is not without dangers you are a fraud and have never been on a bike.

See yah.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I guess I don't understand why we are even talking about motorcycle riding and helmets or not. Personally, I want the state to stay out of ALL my affairs and let me make the decision on what to do. I am not going to judge anyone because they choose to not wear a helmet or because they wear camo and carry an orange AK 47 pistol. We all need to take responsibility for our actions.

I only ride with a helmet. I wouldn't carry an orange tipped AK 47, however, I'll be damned if I am going to condemn someone for doing it, assuming they know the risks.

stickbow95

I learned early on to not judge someone according to the way they look, for the most part.
When you run into someone who clearly has awful hygene, filthy clothes, and reeks of booze, weed, or any number of noxious odors, your first impression is generally fairly accurate. (Note that I am not condemning, nor condoning, the aforementioned substances;) ) Other than that, there are so many different tastes, styles, fads, etc. that there is no telling a persons character based simply on their mode of dress. The image a person chooses to adopt rarely, IMHO, indicates their level of integrity, honesty, ethics, or intelligence. Also, all of us have an image of ourselves that we would like others to take note of. However, we will always have to deal with people who choose to stereotype us for the way that we appear. It will never change.

I have never met you scorpio. However, I have read enough of your posts (mostly on a 4x4 related forum) to have a fairly good impression of your personality. Hopefully we will meet down the road sometime.

HandyHamlet

I guess I don't understand...

The image sensative are trying to justify their, um, image by attempting to twist this into a helmet and freedom thread instead of addressing the actual posts.

well i guess than you and me are no different, since the only reason YOU carry is to look like a badazz and impress other people.

Please just address my posts if you would like to have a discussion. Playing the martyr around here is getting old fast. And ask anyone here who has met me. I am the furthest thing from a bad ass. I quit trying to impress people with my image long ago. This too can be confirmed by anyone here who has met me. It's pretty obvious. And you have no idea what my motivations are. If you care I would be happy to discuss them. Joe speaks highly of you. That's good enough for me. As I have said a thousand times I am just making observations. Sorry if you don't like them but there isn't much I can do about that.

You said that but yet they turned out to be you. That's revealing in several ways. Nuff said...

;)

scorpio_vette

You said that but yet they turned out to be you. That's revealing in several ways. Nuff said...

fair enough, i can see what you mean. when i wrote that, i thought it might be funny, because several people on here know full well that is me, and i figured they would out me sooner or later. secondly, i also thought i might get more honest opinions, since alot of people will not speak their mind as openly when "face to face". it's easier to talk behind peoples backs then to tell em to their face that they don't trust you or think you're a dumbazz.

The image sensative are trying to justify their, um, image by attempting to twist this into a helmet and freedom thread instead of addressing the actual posts.

well technically it all started with you saying:
"I'm sure that 3 year old deserves to grow up with a father. Especially when the mom is serving. So why no proper riding attire?"

to which my answer simply should have been "because i have chosen not to wear it" rather than going in to the lengthy and probably un-needed explanation for my reasoning which then through various peoples comments (including mine) turned into a helmet debate rather than focusing on the question of "should a person be judged and allowed to carry or not carry based on their appearance".
i get a little testy when people make comments that may be implied (or i my consider to mean) that i'm a bad father, and went a bit overboard, and apologize for that, but would also like to ask to leave your (or anybody elses) opinions regarding my son to themselves.
on top of that i've been under quite a bit of stress, and probably shouldn't have been around the computer and let my frustration out on the keyboard. i apologize for that too.

so how about we agree to disagree on the whole riding gear subject, and continue to talk about the original question, or just let this mess of a thread die.

(any way to clean this thread up and just delete all the motorcycle debate stuff and arguing???) sorry for what this thread has turned into.

HandyHamlet

well technically it all started with you saying:
"I'm sure that 3 year old deserves to grow up with a father. Especially when the mom is serving. So why no proper riding attire?"

Yes, because at that moment I noticed the irony of your thread.

i get a little testy when people make comments that may be implied (or i my consider to mean) that i'm a bad father, and went a bit overboard, and apologize for that, but would also like to ask to leave your (or anybody elses) opinions regarding my son to themselves.

I'm not implying you are a bad father. I am SAYING your family deserves to have you around. In one piece. For a long long long time. I'm pointing out that the riding clothes you choose to portray your image are detrimental to that end. I tried to suggest politely that you could achieve the image you portray with armored clothes that offer protection. That's all.

AGV Sport Assault Kevlar Cargo Pants
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...sault-Kevlar-Cargo-Pants.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I mean come on man. Nothing is cooler than armored BDUs.

on top of that i've been under quite a bit of stress, and probably shouldn't have been around the computer and let my frustration out on the keyboard. i apologize for that too.

so how about we agree to disagree on the whole riding gear subject, and continue to talk about the original question, or just let this mess of a thread die.

(any way to clean this thread up and just delete all the motorcycle debate stuff and arguing???) sorry for what this thread has turned into.

Absolutely. In the end it is not my business. And it's been a long year for a lot of people so no big deal. Everyone is a bit frazzled. Looking forward to meeting at a future event.

Last edited:

protias

I guess I don't understand why we are even talking about motorcycle riding and helmets or not. Personally, I want the state to stay out of ALL my affairs and let me make the decision on what to do. I am not going to judge anyone because they choose to not wear a helmet or because they wear camo and carry an orange AK 47 pistol. We all need to take responsibility for our actions.

I only ride with a helmet. I wouldn't carry an orange tipped AK 47, however, I'll be damned if I am going to condemn someone for doing it, assuming they know the risks.

My sentiments exactly.