• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police called at TJMaxx, stopped by government agent...

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheOldSarge wrote:
And if I had a dollar for the number of times someone has told me that they/their father/their brother/their uncle/their cousin twice removed had a "federal license to carry" I'd be enjoying my retirement a lot more! Ain't no such thing, folks!
Of course there is. It's called the 2nd amendment.

Gene Beasley

imported post

unrequited wrote:
He was a 250lb jacked up Marine who got pissed when the lady told him whatever she told him. He immediately walks over to me and says, "You know that's illegal, where is your concealed permit?" I said it's not illegal to open carry, it's not against the law, and I have a permit but I'm not going to show you. He then pulled his wallet out, showed me a Marine identification card and said "I'm a government agent, let me see your identification and permit"
How did you keep from bursting out laughing? The only thing that I think I could get out after composing myself would be "Piss Off."

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TheOldSarge wrote:
And if I had a dollar for the number of times someone has told me that they/their father/their brother/their uncle/their cousin twice removed had a "federal license to carry" I'd be enjoying my retirement a lot more! Ain't no such thing, folks!
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act is essentially a federal CHP for cops. Ted Nugent even has one.

caltain

imported post

You were, of course, only 5 years at the time you were working security...so now you'd be about 40. I'd chalk it up to youth! ;-)

Yeah, 2A... Nice and compact for wallet carry. I think I'm gonna have some Federal carry permit cards printed up.

I completely agree that having a badge does not a LEO make. These days, all LEOs, federal, state and local, have ID cards in addition to any badge they may carry. You have the legal right to demand to see this info before complying with any LEOs concentual or non-concentual encounter. That said, if LEO clears his holster, do what the nice man with the gun says first... Many of these IDs have photos. In most cases, it will contain a physical description as well. Make sure it matches, if there's no photo. If they just flash it, repeat your request to SEE their ID and ask that they hold it at an appropriate angle and distance for you to read. Don't take it in hand, just ask them to hold it so you can actually read it.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I OC around there ALL the time. Noodle Co is right next door and it rocks. I never get a bad look and always great service. TJ Maxx is one of my favorite stores and this only reinforces that!
Great job on handling the weenie from the Marines, btw. Def should have called his CO. Maybe they have enough bars of soap and socks back in the Barracks to adjust his attitude, Full-Metal-Jacket style :lol:

echo6tango

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
My guess is that the "Government Agent" Marine was a P.O.G. ass admin SSGT or the likes... What a douche bag. I'm a former Marine and am amazed at that, but could believe it from that genre of a Marine.

Very glad to hear that everything ended as well as it did!
Yep, I'd have to agree with the POG assessment (at least pertaining to the Marine’s misguided mindset – no offense to current or former Marines who would never think to pull that kind of crap). I still work within the Marine Corps andI am constantly amazed at the level of misinformation floating around regarding gun laws in VA. Isn’t the Marine Corps still a gun culture? However, even with all that, I could never imagine someone pulling a military ID card, especially a freaking Jarhead, trying to lay down civilian law. I would be very interested in knowing his rank, although I doubt it would turn out to be a junior Marine or officer...probably some whacked out boot SNCO who makes up his own rules for his Marines and believes that he is right in doing so. Ah, every organization…civilian and military…has its own share of idiots.

I think the situation was handled very well by Unrequited, good job.

mlands

imported post

Thatpoor example of a Marine needs aneducationthat thisis Virginia.If open carrying bothers him that much he should movetothe other side of the Potomac River.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HUGE +1 to the 911 operator who was aware enough to ask the right questions and therefore not take LEOs from their already pressing duties for a legal act.

Mainsail

imported post

unrequited wrote:
He immediately walks over to me and says, "You know that's illegal, where is your concealed permit?" I said it's not illegal to open carry, it's not against the law, and I have a permit but I'm not going to show you. He then pulled his wallet out, showed me a Marine identification card and said "I'm a government agent, let me see your identification and permit"

He had no lawful authority and he knew that. His CO would chew him a new ass (at the very least) if he knew what his Marine had done. When he flashed his ID you should have asked him if you were being detained. If he said yes you can then call the police and have him arrested.

JosephMingle

imported post

I require my Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines to read the Constitution. After all, so far we still swear to support and defend it against all enemies foreign and domestic. Most of them are surprised to find it soshort and concise. The second consistent surprise is what's missing from it - like a "right to privacy," "a wall of separation between church and state," "Miranda Rights,” “breathalyzer submission,” and so on ad nauseam...

They are also instructed on the extent and in appropriate cases absence of authority in hypothetical situations. Like their federal authority while on post vs their much more limited authority as a citizen off post. None of my troops would make such a gross error – at least they couldn’t do so and claim ignorance.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JosephMingle wrote:
I require my Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines to read the Constitution. After all, so far we still swear to support and defend it against all enemies foreign and domestic. Most of them are surprised to find it soshort and concise. The second consistent surprise is what's missing from it - like a "right to privacy," "a wall of separation between church and state," "Miranda Rights,” “breathalyzer submission,” and so on ad nauseam...

They are also instructed on the extent and in appropriate cases absence of authority in hypothetical situations. Like their federal authority while on post vs their much more limited authority as a citizen off post. None of my troops would make such a gross error – at least they couldn’t do so and claim ignorance.
+1 for a most appropriate continuation of their education!

DocV

imported post

My oh my! How I wished that had happened to me. I would have loved to been able to really ruin his night by comparing his ID card to mine....;)

DocV

PavePusher

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
soloban wrote:
unrequited wrote:
soloban wrote:
You could try to FOIA request the transcript of the call to see if you could get this guys name then report this guy to Quantico or Henderson Hall.

This guy was way out of line.
I thought you couldn't ever FOIA the complaintant for fear of retaliation?
You're probably 100% right on that...I didnt even think about it from that angle.
No, I seem to remember reading FOIA reports here that included the name and phone number of the person that filed the complaint. I might be wrong but I seem to remember that because I, like you, thought that wouldn't be included.

And...

soloban wrote:
You could try to FOIA request the transcript of the call to see if you could get this guys name then report this guy to Quantico or Henderson Hall.

This guy was way out of line.
My thoughts exactly. Don't let this rest. A well written letter to JAG will get the appropriate attention. Impersonating a Federal Agent is illegal.

A private citizen might not be able to FOIA a 911 calls' details, butthe local military JAG/CID/NCIS/OSI-whatever will be able to access the info, trace the individual and take the appropriate steps. And they should, as this was illegal, unprofessional and downright stupid (on the part of the "Marine").

unrequited

imported post

On second thought, I'd like to go that route that way my complaint is made, and they can persue it if they want. What's the procedure I should do? How do I find the local JAG office? I've never made a complaint against the military before.