• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police detain a national guardsman

autosurgeon

imported post

320px-SMirC-thumbsup.svg.png

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Mike wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:
Mike wrote:
re http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=122298&catid=14and embedded video - looks the police were 'reserve officers" and the citizen is not going to take legal action - is MOC going to ask the city to tighten up is understanding of the law?

Also, what is the law on registration - are open cariers limited to carrying pistols registered to them, or just registered?
Mike - Open Carriers (without CPL) can only carry pistols in MI registered to them. Open Carriers (with CPL) can carry any MI Registered Pistol.
But open carriers from other states than Michigan, with home state carry permits accepted by Michigan, can carry anybody's handgun even though not reqgistered in Michigan or anywhere else?
Oops, saw the post quoting Michigan law ... nevermind ...

lil_freak_66

imported post

anybody setting up an event?other than the ride today.

id like to see the police dept. issue a public apology to the OC'er

Aunt Runt

imported post

I am David Thomas' aunt - and PROUD to be! Fortunately, my nephew is pretty laid-back and not a hot-head. He stayed calm when the New Era Police Chief didn't. While they didn't cuff him to the cruiser, it was implied quite clearly that leaving the cruiser would NOT be a good idea. If you listened to the audio (it's up on YouTube), it was determined very early on that DAvid was carrying legally, David was the legal registered owner of the gun, and no laws were being violated. It's a shame that the volunteer deputies recognized that but the Police Chief decided to violate David's rights and put himself above the laws of the State of Michigan. Sounds like there are a lot of you out there who are going to continue reminding the New Era Police Chief what the law really is! ;)

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yes, we are constantly reminding the authorities just who it is they work for. we are not their slaves. they are not our masters. thanks for stopping by to comment!

sevenplusone

imported post

Aunt Runt wrote:
I am David Thomas' aunt - and PROUD to be! Fortunately, my nephew is pretty laid-back and not a hot-head. He stayed calm when the New Era Police Chief didn't. While they didn't cuff him to the cruiser, it was implied quite clearly that leaving the cruiser would NOT be a good idea. If you listened to the audio (it's up on YouTube), it was determined very early on that DAvid was carrying legally, David was the legal registered owner of the gun, and no laws were being violated. It's a shame that the volunteer deputies recognized that but the Police Chief decided to violate David's rights and put himself above the laws of the State of Michigan. Sounds like there are a lot of you out there who are going to continue reminding the New Era Police Chief what the law really is! ;)

Was it your son that we met while in town?

LaVere

imported post

This is just another case. Of conflictingand confrusing gun laws here in Michigan. It is just this simple follow Vermont rules. NO GUN LAWS. Easy to follow easy to under stand. That should be all 2nd amendment supporters end goal.

Thank to this young man another move forward.

Maybe we need a Miranda type legal statement

( This must be said in the first 60 seconds.)

"You are not under arrest."
"You may leave at any time."

Must be said at 10 minute intervals there after.

If you were not driving or doing any illegal activity you do not have to:

(Say with very strong German accent)" Show me your papers comrad"

If the Gun was confiscated for the safety of the officer. It must be returned at the end of the first 10 minute statement and in its original condition. ie no removal of the bullets or other acts to disable the gun.

Well you get the idea and humor ;)

May be you can come up with other

Miranda/Thomas Rights

Added as an after thought. Make the Michigan drivers licenceor state Id automatically your all around Gun Now called Weapons licence. Maybe check this box if you are legal to own a gun ie not a felon et al. Or any other reason you can not have a own a gun. Note plural on Weapons.

lil_freak_66

imported post

LaVere wrote:
This is just another case. Of conflictingand confrusing gun laws here in Michigan. It is just this simple follow Vermont rules. NO GUN LAWS. Easy to follow easy to under stand. That should be all 2nd amendment supporters end goal.

Thank to this young man another move forward.

Maybe we need a Miranda type legal statement

"You are not under arrest."

"You may leave at any time."

Must be said at 10 minute intervals

If you were not driving or doing any illegal activity you do not have to:

(Say with very strong German accent)" Show me your papers comrade"

If the Gun was confiscated for the safety of the officer. It must be returned at the end of the first 10 minute statement and in its original condition. ie no removal of the bullets or other acts to disable the gun.

Well you get the idea and humor ;)

May be you can come up with other

Miranda/Thomas Rights
i say that vermont doesnt have it perfect,though it would be perfect if all other states did the same thing,and we acquired national carry.
i like how alaska has it,they offer an optional conceal permit so you can have reciprocity with other US states,whereas Vermont does not.