• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: Ohio Man Had Gun, Knives At Batman Showing

JmE

Not one news article has said if he has a prescription or not. If he does have a prescription, then those 19 "weapons under disability" charges are very disturbing.

Usually, LE, attorneys, etc won't refer to drug abuse as medications. In the articles, it's referred to as medications, taking daily medications, etc. It just isn't being reported like illicit drugs.

ETA: I just saw that in you article link, "Prosecutors say Smith is taking the drug Percocet, which is a pain medication, and possibly other sleep medication", so they aren't saying one way or the other. The attorney isn't saying if he even took any medications now... smart move because they might not have done a blood draw after the arrest. If that's the case and he has a prescription then the State would have to prove that he actually took the medication on that night. (I'm just guessing here.)

Last edited:

JmE

http://westlife.northcoastnow.com/regal-cinema-gun-possessor-faces-21-counts-bond-set-at-250k/
Eighteen of the 19 weapons under disability charged come from Smith’s possession of weapons police say they discovered in his North Ridgeville home following the execution of a search warrant Monday. Police and prosecutors say Smith is on prescription medication that makes him legally ineligible to own those weapons.

He's on prescription medication and they are saying that it makes it illegal for him to posses firearms. :(

I assumed that he gave permission to search his home but apparently they secured a search warrant. The got a warrant to search the man's home because he was carrying a concealed Glock without a license and he had a concealed knife in public. I wonder if he didn't talk "too much" to the police and admitted to his prescription and his guns at home. Even though being on a prescription medication and having firearms in your home aren't mutually exclusive; they've used this to pile on charges and even get a warrant.

Here is the weapons list. Anybody get a copy of that filed complaint yet?

According to the complaint filed by county prosecutors, the following weapons were found in Smith’s home: two DPMS LR308s, two Beretta 96s, and one each of the following – Ruger 10-22, Tactical Inov. Inc. T-15, Bushmaster AR-15, Wilson Combat TAC custom, Mossberg 930, Benilli Nova, Winchester 1300, Century Arms M70B1, Remington 597, Mossberg 500, CZ 75, Taurus PT1911, Sig Sauer P220, Para Ordinance Gun 1911.

IMHO, based on the information thus far, this has been blown completely out of proportion and this man stands to lose some rights over it. Even if he's successful in court; the time, money, stress and other collateral damage will be major.

All charges except the concealed weapons charge related to the knives are felony-level charges.

Events like this happening to me have been the theme in some of my nightmare scenarios. I read in another, earlier (8-7-12), article that the FBI and BATFE were involved, helping with the charges and investigation.

JmE

On another site, someone referred back to this article (in PDF): "Poison Pill"

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/Mags/AFF 1208 Poison Pill.pdf
If you don’t disclose the Vicodin you took for pain for a few days 15 years ago, you’ve falsified a government form, and committed a crime

To clarify, that quote from the article pertains to a part of NY and not a federal form. It's an example of possible things to come everywhere.

Last edited: