• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police station off limits?

G

imported post

springerdave wrote:
I thought you liked that janitor;):shock::uhoh:.springerdave.
I'm sure enjoying that janitor's pension.:celebrate

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
People without a CPL who are doing this are wasting their time UNLESS they intend to get a CPL in the future as it has no benefit for them.

While I agree that to OC this shotgun would be grandstanding, I also have done the same with my AK [which is also registered legally in MI as a 'pistol' having a 16.5 inch barrel and a 26.75" overall folded length] as most of you saw at the Canton Chili Picnic.

The 'benefit' to a non-CPL holder is that, were you to get hassled by the police, this weapon would be legally considered to be a "pistol" in a "holster", and you could not possibly be prosecuted for brandishing.

That said, I do intend on getting my CPL... just pointing out a potential benefit.

That and the fact that if you're doing it for the 'tacticool' factor, its the only legal way to do so.

lapeer20m

imported post

the firearm in question is considered a shotgun under federal law. it meets the federal standards and is not illegal. 18.5 inch barrel and about 28 inches in total length.

in michigan, because it is less than 30 inches it is considered a pistol. There is actually a box on the pistol purchase permit that says "pistol shotgun"

I do not plan to oc the shotgun. I do however plan to carry it from time to time in my vehicle. Among other uses, I think it would make a good home defense gun inside a motorhome.

conservative85

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
what do you think i should add/subtract from the letter?

[align=LEFT]October 20, 2009[/align] [align=LEFT]
[/align] [align=LEFT]Sheriff Ronald J Kalanquin;[/align] [align=LEFT]3231 John Conley Drive[/align] [align=LEFT]Lapeer, mi 48446[/align][align=LEFT]
[/align][align=LEFT]While visiting the Lapeer County Sheriff's Department recently to pick up a purchase permit, I noticed a sign on the doors that states: [/align] [align=CENTER]
Notice:
[/align] [align=CENTER]Concealed weapons [/align] [align=CENTER]are not allowed in this building[/align] [align=CENTER]
[/align] Under the 1990 state preemption law these signs appear to be unenforceable and are misleading to the people of Lapeer County and other citizens. Unless there is a state law to the contrary, county and city owned buildings including the police station are not off limits to citizens who are lawfully carrying firearms. I am requesting that the signs be altered to comply with sate law

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

Thank You for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Robert J Hxxxxx
586.481.xxxx
I'd just change "appears to be unenforceable" to is unenforceable.

G

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
People without a CPL who are doing this are wasting their time UNLESS they intend to get a CPL in the future as it has no benefit for them.

While I agree that to OC this shotgun would be grandstanding, I also have done the same with my AK [which is also registered legally in MI as a 'pistol' having a 16.5 inch barrel and a 26.75" overall folded length] as most of you saw at the Canton Chili Picnic.

The 'benefit' to a non-CPL holder is that, were you to get hassled by the police, this weapon would be legally considered to be a "pistol" in a "holster", and you could not possibly be prosecuted for brandishing.

That said, I do intend on getting my CPL... just pointing out a potential benefit.

That and the fact that if you're doing it for the 'tacticool' factor, its the only legal way to do so.
Going to the polls on the first Tuesday in November must be grandstanding then also?!?

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Going to the polls on the first Tuesday in November must be grandstanding then also?!?
no no, you misunderstand...
Carrying a long gun is fine.
The 'grandstanding' bit is the fact that I had registered it as a pistol and made a holster for it specifically for the purpose of aggravating the police, and nothing more. I knew they couldn't do anything about it, and I wanted to rub their nose in it a bit. It is the motive behind it that makes it grandstanding.

G

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

The 'grandstanding' bit is the fact that I had registered it as a pistol and made a holster for it specifically for the purpose of aggravating the police, and nothing more. I knew they couldn't do anything about it, and I wanted to rub their nose in it a bit. It is the motive behind it that makes it grandstanding.
Gotcha. I'm setting up a SIG 556 the same way. Not so much for the same reason. But rather to transport/possess it loaded.

I thought that you initially were disparaging anyone for "grandstanding."

I personally feel that any lawful activity is not grandstanding.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I prefer to live in peace if possible, but I do understand the feeling behind this which happens every time I read LEO to OC Incidents Gone Bad.

The picture was really cool of the AK Pistol, even if you were about to shoot off your big toe!