• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
..........forum rules say we can't advocate breaking unconstitutional laws......

That would be correct, but not limited to unconstitutional laws.

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Gunslinger

That would be correct, but not limited to unconstitutional laws.

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

The only way to expunge unconstitutional laws is to break them and thereby make them the instant case. "Blue" laws and the Jim Crow era being prime examples. How do we "defeat it in the courts" without someone being charged in the first place? I understand the intent, but the application is off axis.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The only way to expunge unconstitutional laws is to break them and thereby make them the instant case. "Blue" laws and the Jim Crow era being prime examples. How do we "defeat it in the courts" without someone being charged in the first place? I understand the intent, but the application is off axis.

Well not exactly so. One does not have to break the law to cause the legislature to specifically address and correct the issue. That is where we become effective in lobbying for positive change.

Many times one may gain standing w/o actually being charged with a violation.

There is as they say, more than one way to skin a rabbit.

Gunslinger

The most expedious way to challenge an unconstitutional law has always been, and always will be, through the court. The legislative process is long, tedious and depends on the makeup of the legislature--and still subject to judicial review. True, you can achieve standing without breaking a law, but you must be injured in some way, op cit McDonald, Heller, et al, deprivation of rights. To challenge a criminal statute, for example, to have standing you must be at risk of loss or have suffered loss. That is very hard to do unless you have been or are about to be convicted. Pursuing civil matters never has the immediate impact using the criminal system does. That is simply the basis of our Common Law.

twoskinsonemanns

WTF are you smiling about?
Was it Grape talking the opportunity to post a forum rule for no apparent reason (giggle)

twoskinsonemanns

Take a chill pill. The smiley is a sarcastic one, and it's aimed at Aurora PD.

More than chilled. Your lone smiley struck my as very funny. Not excited.

ETA: If you can't guess the subtle tone-inflections in a internet forum setting maybe you should hang up the mouse! (sarcasm)

Last edited:

FTG-05

This thread is almost a month old. Any new news? Or was it completely taken over by the gun free zone shooting?

Jack House

This thread is almost a month old. Any new news? Or was it completely taken over by the gun free zone shooting?
Completely taken over by the theater shooting. My smiley post was alluding to how incredibly convenient the timing was for Aurora PD. Then you have a bunch of other shootings that followed it in rapid succession.
eusa_think.gif

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior