• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Port Authority Police encounter. (Pittsburgh)

JSK333

imported post

Sometimes what we think is logical is not always the law. Several people were convicted in Ohio of firearm transport violations who thought what they were doing was fine. I'm sure it happens in other States too. Just because we think it's logical to be able to legally secure a firearm in a vehicle doesn't mean the law does not allows for prosecution in some area. I don't know relevant PA case law, but I'm sure someone like Mike does.

I wasn't only refering to an employee asking for ID for liquor. I imagine an LEO in the presence of such a transaction could do the same if they thought the person was underage.

You may have also jumped to conclusions about my intentions, as well as missed my question marks. I wasn't giving my opinion as to what was the proper thing for the LEO to do, rather I was giving a possibility as to what his reasoning was. Hence the "?'s".

As for the Nazi reference, you may not be familiar with California's "check if loaded" law. The LEOs can legally stop a person OC'ing to be sure it is not loaded. So, indeed, the slope is already quite slippery!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JSK333 wrote:
Sometimes what we think is logical is not always the law. Several people were convicted in Ohio of firearm transport violations who thought what they were doing was fine. I'm sure it happens in other States too. Just because we think it's logical to be able to legally secure a firearm in a vehicle doesn't mean the law does not allows for prosecution in some area. I don't know relevant PA case law, but I'm sure someone like Mike does.

I wasn't only refering to an employee asking for ID for liquor. I imagine an LEO in the presence of such a transaction could do the same if they thought the person was underage.

You may have also jumped to conclusions about my intentions, as well as missed my question marks. I wasn't giving my opinion as to what was the proper thing for the LEO to do, rather I was giving a possibility as to what his reasoning was. Hence the "?'s".

As for the Nazi reference, you may not be familiar with California's "check if loaded" law. The LEOs can legally stop a person OC'ing to be sure it is not loaded. So, indeed, the slope is already quite slippery!
Did not intend to make any of my response appear as a flame - it was not so.

A LEO requesting ID of a liquor purchaser, may have RAS if that person looks 15yo but such would not be valid reason if I were the purchaser - I remember WWII personally. I have refused "request/demand for ID from LEO wherein my "crime" was OCing - was not formally detained either.

Yes a LEO can arrest someone for the wrong reason(s) and in so doing cost you time and money. Living in fear of that is not my choice - though I will use common sense. Should the line be crossed by LE or anyone else, it is our job to correct that. When necessary, settlements or awards are great motivators to correcting their actions.

Know the "check if loaded" law and some of the others in Ca. Why do you think some use a "K" when spelling that state. The Nazi laws were "legal" too and in fact are said to be the model for many of our gun control laws here.

Staying current and understanding Va. laws and those of the states into which I travel such as Pa. is to my benefit with little doubt. Will be in Pa. this week-end in fact.

Yata hey

david.ross

imported post

ugh. In my making sure I'm not going to get unlawfully harassed this year, I forgot about the Port Authority officers. The Pittsburgh management of the PD had quite a conversation with zone management after I pushed a very loud complaint about my encounter with an officer who cuffed me for lawfully open carrying on foot.

The current staff of the Allegheny sheriff's office also knows OC, to of which they thought it was not, which at one point the old staff knew according to an old forum post. I corrected them, almost all of them were thankful. One decided to have an outburst and tell me he is going to "pop" me if I'm walking in his neighborhood.

I'll call in the morning to see if management can inform their officers about open carry. The MPOETC training in Pittsburgh is in September, not soon enough for me since I'll be in Pittsburgh this coming July.

david.ross

imported post

Please stop trolling the open carry forums, thanks!

Note: this is the second low poster which has attacked me this week. We can all take a guess at that one.

david.ross

imported post

I spoke with the shift manager who was exceptionally nice at not only explaining their views but just general chatter. Even though the Port Authority police may have the occasional negative encounter, they're well aware open carry is lawful. They're in a flux of debate whether or not brief detainment is lawful or not, so they'll probably figure it out sooner or later. More people which ask and call only place the issue at a higher priority.