• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland Officer asked to leave cafe

PT111

imported post

Sadly this thread seems to have turned more into LEO bashing than anything else but that was expected from the beginning. There are a couple of things that everyone needs to consider about the right of this owner to throw anyone out. I have seen lots of posts saying that if a business opens it doors to anyone to come in at any time then they have to follow different rules than a private business and they have a good argument. Lets look at the different types of business possibilities:

The one who works at home and occasionally has clients visit (Web Designer)

The one who has a business that is primarily by appointment but owns the building (Lawyer) or maybe leases the office space.

The Mom and Pop store that they own the building and run the business

The store that is privately owned but is managed by someone else (A second resturant run by the owners son)

The Corporate owned stores (Starbucks)

At what level do we say that they have the right to ask a customer to leave? Who can make the decision to run the customer out? Where do our rights end and theirs start? There are lots of questions and I am not sure where the store in the OP falls in the list. Either way I think we all agree, or should agree, that private property owners have certain rights and can ask someone to leave. But what exactly is private property? Are Wal-Marts private property, most Wal-Marts are on leased property, and can they run you out and if so who can?

I think we need to stop the cop bashing as I don't thing the article said why he was asked to leave but we all assumed something. What if the cop had been black (he may have bee for all I know) and declared he was asked to leave because of race. Yes there are some bad cops out there and there are some bad OC's out there as well. There are also some BS artists that put out opinions and statistics solely to inflame and promote their own cause.

I think the shop owner, or whoever he was, had the absolute right to ask the cop or whoever else to leave. I also think that if a waitress had the full supportand instructions fromthe owner/manager and she asked him to leave she had that right and the cop should leave.

I am sure that we all are pretty much on the same side here but we do fight about the details and wording too much. We are also very opinionated about things and get carried away and sometimes angrywhen someone questions anything we say. After over50 years of experience in the work place I have found that if you want to really upset someone just ask them to justify something and they have never even thought about why they are doing it. They have all kinds of answers but usually they have nothing to do with the question. This is easily seen in the police or anyone they stop and question.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
SNIP Sadly this thread seems to have turned more into LEO bashing than anything else but that was expected from the beginning.
1) Istrongly deny cop bashing. A plain, fairreading of the thread shows giving facts and conclusions unkind to police in bothexplicit and implied support of why the coffee shop manager might want to eject a cop. This is not bashing.

2) SunTzu's comments were a reaction to Teddybear's pro-cop commentary.

3) If cop supporters make unsupported and easily arguable declarations contrary to known facts, they can fairly expect those facts to be exhibited. What? Are blind cop supporters sodumb as to think noooooobody is going to contradict their sweetness-and-light, sugar-coated, cop public relations information and attitudes to go unchallenged? (rhetorical question)

4) One of the cop-supporters has even spoken with a forked tongue--claiming to support the manager's property rights while criticizing him for exercising them.

5) The real bashing has been directed at the manager. See the early posts. One in particular mentions, I think, support for the manager's property rights but says something about dumping their purchase on the floor--more forked-tongue.

suntzu

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Sadly this thread seems to have turned more into LEO bashing than anything else but that was expected from the beginning.
Actually I never expected this to turn into any "bashing session". As Citizen said, the real bashing has been directed at the cafe owner--one even went so far as to call him a "maggot"....

I also strongly deny "bashing" of law enforcement---but those who want to make pro-le declarations should stand ready to have their blanket statements rebuked--and there is plenty of evidence to rebuke them.

My statements were in direct response to those of a pro-le supporter who claimed that there is nothing to be afraid of from the majority in law enforcement.

The real issue is--do we support the rights of property owners or do we not? Do we expect those in public service to obey the rules as we do or do we not? Those are the two key issues.

Make no mistake --there isn't an officer out there who would not throw you out of a business in a heartbeat if they could--and merely for OC'ing--as the majority do not support OC--those who do I believe are in the minority. Now that it happens to one of them--they are offended. It is a double standard they hold and nothing more.

NovaCop

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
Cafe owner holdspress conference on why he asked officer to leave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSVHB8Zp0A&feature=player_embedded#!
After about five seconds all i could think about was Foamy. (NSFW, Language)

After about 20 seconds I had to turn it off as it was just too painful to watch. Dude...srsly...get a SCRIPT (or at least some notes).
What an awful "press conference". They did not elaborate on why they wanted to deny an officer from ordering from their store, they focused on racism, police brutality, and gave publicity to "copwatch.org". What does the few incidents of police brutality have to do with this one officer who was only looking to order a cup of coffee and pay for it? I would love to see what would happen if this guy had an armed robber put a gun in his face? Call copwatch.org for help?

MK

imported post

If I were the officer I would find it offensive but would also respect the owner's rights to refuse me service. Unless there was some past situation with this particular officer thatthe owner is basing hisdecision on, it would really suck to be discriminated in such a way.

I have yet to be kicked out of any place because I choose to OC but I've been treated unfairly due to generalization and discrimination before. It sucks no matter who it happens to.

I am one who is pretty skeptical of our government and our police. In fact, lately I've been pretty upset about the way I see things going for us here in America. Still though, I don't like this sort of thing happening to me and I am in solidarity with this officer on this issue.

What I think would be a great move is for the owner to apologize, explain himself and invite the officer back into his shop. Sometimes, one party has to be the bigger man. What's the goal here, to further widen the gap or to help build a bridge closer between the disgruntled parties?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MK wrote:
If I were the officer I would find it offensive but would also respect the owner's rights to refuse me service. Unless there was some past situation with this particular officer thatthe owner is basing hisdecision on, it would really suck to be discriminated in such a way.

I have yet to be kicked out of any place because I choose to OC but I've been treated unfairly due to generalization and discrimination before. It sucks no matter who it happens to.

I am one who is pretty skeptical of our government and our police. In fact, lately I've been pretty upset about the way I see things going for us here in America. Still though, I don't like this sort of thing happening to me and I am in solidarity with this officer on this issue.

What I think would be a great move is for the owner to apologize, explain himself and invite the officer back into his shop. Sometimes, one party has to be the bigger man. What's the goal here, to further widen the gap or to help build a bridge closer between the disgruntled parties?
Did you watch the follow up 'press conference' ...
The owner will not be apologizing.....

MK

imported post

Okay, I just watched it and it looks like you are right. He isn't going to change his tune. I think he made some excellent points and I actually support his stance in some ways.

I also can sympathize with the officer as a lone man. I know he is being targeted in a discriminatory way due to his association but as an individual having stuff like this happen really sucks. Still though, as the owner pointed out. He has a choice to take off his uniform much like many of us have a choice to leave our guns in a car when refused service.

There is a growing feeling of us against them between the average citizenry and the authoritative citizenry. Its gotten to be a huge issue in my favorite town in Columbia Missouri and is a very hot topic right now. There is definititely a growing disconnect and I'd rather see it being bridged than further widened. To see this rift grow bigger is going to be a loss for all of us in the long run as Americans. Unfortunately, I see the government and its enforcement organizations entrenching within their positions instead of adapting to help bring about a more unified front with the people.

Hopefully the government is taking notice of the citizen backlash that is increasing and tries to change its tone towards a more compassionate and less intrusiveone. Hopefully, if and when it does come around to this idea, the average citizenry is accepting of it.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

Gogodawgs, Citizen, teddy, and suntzu you all made very good points.

I have a general distrust of policemen in Eugene and Portland for sure. I also see that teddy has a point in that this particular policeman hasn't done anything wrong, and was unjustly (not illegally) singled out. But I would be right there with the cafe owner in not letting a PPD officer in my store.

Someone said something about that these guys wouldn't like OCers in there. Not knowing them personally, If they were true anarchists then they would welcome OCers not shun them. That said knowing Portland pretty well I doubt we would be welcomed opened armed.

DenWin

imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
Gogodawgs, Citizen, teddy, and suntzu you all made very good points.

I have a general distrust of policemen in Eugene and Portland for sure. I also see that teddy has a point in that this particular policeman hasn't done anything wrong, and was unjustly (not illegally) singled out. But I would be right there with the cafe owner in not letting a PPD officer in my store.

Someone said something about that these guys wouldn't like OCers in there. Not knowing them personally, If they were true anarchists then they would welcome OCers not shun them. That said knowing Portland pretty well I doubt we would be welcomed opened armed.

TheHossUSMC, you have a good point (for a Marine;)), a few of you guys who are physically there should maybe go have a cup of joe and see what happens.

We-the-People

imported post

Give our fellow Marine Jeff Maxwell a yell before you go and get the number of his attorney. LOL

He's the Western Univ student that was illegally detained and arrested for concealed carry on campus. DA dropped the charges "in the interest of justice" (too damn whimpy to say the cops screwed up) but the school expelled him and the university system said he "wasn't welcome in any Oregon University school".

Oh I'm going to have so much fun when I transfer to SOU....NOT

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I'm familiar with Maxwell's initial case. How did the suit against WOU end up? If I stay in portland, doubtful, for school I will go to PCC where I am allowed to carry on campus. I just apped to some security contractors though so I don't know where I'll end up next year.

We-the-People

imported post

As far as I know the Maxwell case is still in the courts. I have the e-mail of his attorney so maybe I should send off and see if there have been any developments. You KNOW it's isn't going to hit the MSM like his arrest did.

JKelly

imported post

suntzu wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Sadly this thread seems to have turned more into LEO bashing than anything else but that was expected from the beginning.
Actually I never expected this to turn into any "bashing session". As Citizen said, the real bashing has been directed at the cafe owner--one even went so far as to call him a "maggot"....

I called him a maggot, because that's precisely what he is.

First, when a customer gives his trade to a merchant, he is entitled to two things: the item purchased, and RESPECT. That "merchant" failed to deliver, just as if he had only delivered a half cup of coffee.

Second, this "principled" individual is too much the coward to post his policy on the entry for all the world to see and to decide if they want to patronize him. Further, he could have chosen not to serve the officer up front rather than grabbing his money and then heaving him out of his dive. He's not only a maggot, he's a greedy maggot.

Just because someone has the legal right to do something doesn't make it right or ethical.

Phlip74

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Sadly this thread seems to have turned more into LEO bashing than anything else but that was expected from the beginning. There are a couple of things that everyone needs to consider about the right of this owner to throw anyone out. I have seen lots of posts saying that if a business opens it doors to anyone to come in at any time then they have to follow different rules than a private business and they have a good argument. Lets look at the different types of business possibilities:

The one who works at home and occasionally has clients visit (Web Designer)

The one who has a business that is primarily by appointment but owns the building (Lawyer) or maybe leases the office space.

The Mom and Pop store that they own the building and run the business

The store that is privately owned but is managed by someone else (A second resturant run by the owners son)

The Corporate owned stores (Starbucks)

At what level do we say that they have the right to ask a customer to leave? Who can make the decision to run the customer out? Where do our rights end and theirs start? There are lots of questions and I am not sure where the store in the OP falls in the list. Either way I think we all agree, or should agree, that private property owners have certain rights and can ask someone to leave. But what exactly is private property? Are Wal-Marts private property, most Wal-Marts are on leased property, and can they run you out and if so who can?

I think we need to stop the cop bashing as I don't thing the article said why he was asked to leave but we all assumed something. What if the cop had been black (he may have bee for all I know) and declared he was asked to leave because of race. Yes there are some bad cops out there and there are some bad OC's out there as well. There are also some BS artists that put out opinions and statistics solely to inflame and promote their own cause.

I think the shop owner, or whoever he was, had the absolute right to ask the cop or whoever else to leave. I also think that if a waitress had the full supportand instructions fromthe owner/manager and she asked him to leave she had that right and the cop should leave.

I am sure that we all are pretty much on the same side here but we do fight about the details and wording too much. We are also very opinionated about things and get carried away and sometimes angrywhen someone questions anything we say. After over50 years of experience in the work place I have found that if you want to really upset someone just ask them to justify something and they have never even thought about why they are doing it. They have all kinds of answers but usually they have nothing to do with the question. This is easily seen in the police or anyone they stop and question.
I agree with the cop bashing. Oh and most Wal marts are owned not leased. Worked as a Manager for them for years! They only lease when they plan on leaving the property or are moving out to upgrade somewher else. I also believe that the owner has the full right to ask any one to leave as long as it is not due to any protected right!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Phlip74 wrote:
SNIP ...I agree with the cop bashing.
Please find out what cop-bashing really is before making casual declarations about an offense that can geta memberbanned. Several have been banned over the years for actual cop-bashing.

Making gratuitous, insulting posts about police in general is cop-bashing.

Offering fact-based commentary, calmly, rationally, and on-topic is not cop-bashing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JKelly wrote:
SNIP So you support the right of this maggot to discriminate against people based solely upon their legal profession?
Sorry. I missed your comment earlier.

Yes, I emphatically support the right of this coffee shop manager to discriminate against cops.

I've already written a number of reasons why someone might legitimately want a cop not on his property. Please review the thread.

But, I most especially support his right to eject the lingering cop as a protest or a way to send a message that police are losing the support of that community and need to clean up whatever act(s) of which the manager was aware.