• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

Arin Morris

Few weeks ago I was at my favorite C-Store in OKC ( On Cue) . While standing there a man says what are you going to do shoot up the place. I replied that's not funny. Why do you have a gun for ? He asked. I said for self defense . Then he started to get loud. The shift manager told him to calm down or he would have to leave. He persisted and screamed I have a right to know why he has a F*****g gun to which I calmly told him no you don't. She then told him to leave. He then decided to poke his head back in the store and screamed in a very loud voice. I have a f*****G right to why he has a gun . Needless to say she called the police on him. Sadly he had scared several people in the process. I just hope my calm demeanor helped.

So, I guess your answer wasn't enough justification for him. I think both you and the shift manager handled the situation well. You could have told him that he has no more right to know why you carry a gun as you do knowing why he's crazy, but I think your approach was better.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Few weeks ago I was at my favorite C-Store in OKC ( On Cue) . While standing there a man says what are you going to do shoot up the place. I replied that's not funny. Why do you have a gun for ? He asked. I said for self defense . Then he started to get loud. The shift manager told him to calm down or he would have to leave. He persisted and screamed I have a right to know why he has a F*****g gun to which I calmly told him no you don't. She then told him to leave. He then decided to poke his head back in the store and screamed in a very loud voice. I have a f*****G right to why he has a gun . Needless to say she called the police on him. Sadly he had scared several people in the process. I just hope my calm demeanor helped.

So, I guess your answer wasn't enough justification for him. I think both you and the shift manager handled the situation well. You could have told him that he has no more right to know why you carry a gun as you do knowing why he's crazy, but I think your approach was better.
I am reminded of an old saying:

If we were half as crazy and dangerous as the antis say we are, there would be no antis left :uhoh: :lol:

OC for ME

Few weeks ago I was at my favorite C-Store in OKC ( On Cue). ...

He persisted and screamed I have a right to know why he has a F*****g gun to which I calmly told him no you don't. She then told him to leave. He then decided to poke his head back in the store and screamed in a very loud voice. I have a f*****G right to why he has a gun . Needless to say she called the police on him. Sadly he had scared several people in the process. I just hope my calm demeanor helped.
Because citizens who scream at me make me nervous and afraid for my safety...especially when I am in a C-Store.

TulsaDan

Also at the El Chico on the bypass this evening. Another non event. I am in Muskogee taking care of the in laws place while they are on vacation.

Jayne&Vera

location location location

Nothing to do with your story but that Quick trip has become the symbol of what the perfect dump is... Ive told quiktrip about it but they never really gave a flip.

I'm through there regularly, carrying without incident, as its on the way for me. That store is across the street from a major hospital & doctors office complex, plus on the mileline just outside downtown. I don't think they're to blame for the neighborhood. The clerk, definitely!
BTW, this store has had the lowest gas price in town for almost 3 weeks: $2.99 a gallon.:banana::banana:

Glock 1st fan

I'm through there regularly, carrying without incident, as its on the way for me. That store is across the street from a major hospital & doctors office complex, plus on the mileline just outside downtown. I don't think they're to blame for the neighborhood. The clerk, definitely!
BTW, this store has had the lowest gas price in town for almost 3 weeks: $2.99 a gallon.:banana::banana:

The area is a major problem for both Quicktrip and Hillcrest. The area has gone down the toilet and it shows. Quicktrip may not be to blame but on the flip side of that though when you know there is a major problem and you sweep it under the rug it does not help either. Quicktrip knows their lot is a crime magnet though its all low key type like drugs and prostitution and beggers out the wazoo they chose to turn a blind eye to it.

I never have any issues here myself and it may be the uniform. I just encourage people to avoid it if at all possible though for their own safety.

hrdware

I wish I could....

As I was walking into Academy yesterday I overheard one of the door greeters say to the other, "I wish I could carry a gun on my hip."

I was in a hurry and didn't have time to stop and let her know the process to go through to be able to get her license though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As I was walking into Academy yesterday I overheard one of the door greeters say to the other, "I wish I could carry a gun on my hip."

I was in a hurry and didn't have time to stop and let her know the process to go through to be able to get her license though.
Hard for me to understand why Oklahoma still requires one to have a permit/license to OC.

TulsaDan

Which is a fallacy in the first place. Criminals don't carry guns in the open, only law abiding citizens do.

tausch

to me if I see a person carrying a gun i would like to think he gas some knowledge of the law and how to use it. if no checks are done how do you lnow if the guy is not a criminal?

kinggabby

to me if I see a person carrying a gun i would like to think he gas some knowledge of the law and how to use it. if no checks are done how do you lnow if the guy is not a criminal?
Criminals don't open carry. They want to keep it hid until they are ready to use it. Just a bit of common sense will tell you that.

Rusty Young Man

Unless you have the ability to carry out future-crime police a la "Minority Report" (book, or 2002 film), I suggest looking for the usual signs:

Evidence of a crime being committed
Sneaky demeanor
Stated intent to commit a crime

In terms of a gun, I would look for the LACK of a holster, since holsters tend to be specific to a make and model of firearm, something which creates a VERY strong tie between a discarded gun just used in a crime by a thug who wouldn't want to be associated with it (hence the "underwear carry").

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If no checks are done, how do you know the person driving or wearing a hoody is not a criminal?

Judge a person by his actions, not the tools/equipment he possesses.

JoeSparky

Centurion

Let's see.... IS he acting in a nefarious manner? Is he actually committing a crime?

You mis-understand the role of the police--- it is NOT to determine that certain persons are NOT criminals but to develop the RAS and PC to determine that they are CRIMINALS and Identify the specific ordinance, regulation, or laws that they may have violated!

Go ahead, and pull our your Miranda Rights card and read it again carefully!

TulsaDan

tausch

TulsaDan
The same way you know that an illegal immigrant with no papers is driving a car. When they are breaking the law, the police stop them and investigate. They do not have the authority to just pull someone over just to make sure they are legally driving the vehicle. Nor do they have the authority to stop someone who is carrying a gun, just because of the gun, that is a legal activity. And should not be a reason to be investigated. You must be doing something wrong or be suspected of a crime at least before they can stop and question you.

Last edited: