• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

posted conspicuously?

Sc0tt

Im going to stop by the one in randelman tonight and get 2 pictures one of the sign and one of its location on the building.

rotorhead

I had breakfast at the newer WH in Spring Lake today- the one opposite to the entrance road to Walmart. I searched every where on the entire building and couldn't find a sign. That's not to say that there isn't one, just that I couldn't find it.

The "posted conspicuously" thing supposedly means to have a sign posted where anyone can reasonably see it upon entering th building. If it's not posted in that manner, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say anyone would have a great defense against it. But, once the intention is voiced by an employee of a business to have you remove the gun from the business, you don't have much of an argument afterward.

You can raise the fact that their sign isn't posted reasonably, but that won't help much once you've been told by them to remove the gun.

Sucks, yeah.

Smith45acp

Last time I ate at one, and it's been years, I walked on in sat down and ordered before I saw the sign somewhere above the cooking area on the wall. Nothing on the entrance.

Politely cancelled my order and told them why before beating feet.

Sc0tt

The "posted conspicuously" thing supposedly means to have a sign posted where anyone can reasonably see it upon entering th building. If it's not posted in that manner, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say anyone would have a great defense against it. But, once the intention is voiced by an employee of a business to have you remove the gun from the business, you don't have much of an argument afterward.

Obviously anytime you are on private property you can be asked to disarm or leave, however my thing was the manager was quite upset that I carried into his store despite the "postings" which were in no way conspicuous. It was like I was expected to know.

sultan62

Well, I am forced to modify my previous comments tonight. Went to a WaHo tonight, and made sure to look closely due to the apparently increased postings. I saw none whatsoever. I walked in and sat down, at which point an employee asked me if I was carrying a taser. I said that no, I wasn't. He responded by saying that they don't allow weapons on the property as indicated on the sign. I asked to see the sign, and he pointed it out behind another hanging sign, where I actually had to stoop over to be able to read the sign. I promptly left and ate elsewhere.

Needless to say, I'll be sending in at least one letter, possibly two, tomorrow after a bit of research.

Sc0tt

Ive been working on a letter to WH corp, however, since Ive never done this before having a bit of writers block

sultan62

Ive been working on a letter to WH corp, however, since Ive never done this before having a bit of writers block

I'm under the impression, though I need to double check, that WaHo is a franchising operation, which means that the rule is likely set by the local owner. If this is true, I intend to write a letter to corporate and the local owner, and if I need to, the location manager as well.

Sc0tt

Here is what I was talking about:

WHRandelman.jpg

The sign is on the far end of the outside of the doors into the store (almost as far away as you can get and still be on the same side of the building. There was nothing posted on the doors or anywhere inside the location. I OC anyways and nothing was said about it.

BTW This is WH Randelman

Bearfoot

Both WaHo here in New Bern are posted in the same manner you mentioned Sc0tt. That was the sign I noticed and made a posting about it on the "OC Experience" thread. I still have yet to hear from corporate.

elixin77

Dreamer and I went to the WaHo in G-ville on Wednesday (surprised that we didn't post this earlier). They also have that sign, but the restaurant itself isn't posted. Dreamer and I carried inside, no issues. Getting word back from corporate would be nice though, as the signs are confusing

Brion

I got all sad and stuff this morning when I was grabbin' some Bfast at Waffle House in Goldsboro on my way to base. BTW, it was never an issue for me to even look because I can't take a firearm on base anyway and the only time I got to WH is on some morning on my way to work.

Anyhoo, they also have the same yellow "no loitering, firearms, etc" sign here as well. I'm probably gonna write a nice little note or something to the manager and see if this is starting to come down from Corp. or if this is managers choice.

If it's managers choice at least I have a few bits of information I can share with him/her to possibly sway him/her. Can someone find me the article about the man who OC in WH and it stoped a robbery. And this was confirmed by the perps when the LEOs caught them in the get away car with masks on ans stuff.

M

mattwestm

I'm thinking those signs are up there to keep people out of the parking lot. I guess Waffle House thinks these signs prevent criminals from shooting in their parking lot. It's pretty much left open to interpretation whether that sign means in the parking lot or inside.

How is the food compared to Cracker Barrel? I'm assuming it's a bit cheaper.

Brion

I'm thinking those signs are up there to keep people out of the parking lot. I guess Waffle House thinks these signs prevent criminals from shooting in their parking lot. It's pretty much left open to interpretation whether that sign means in the parking lot or inside.

How is the food compared to Cracker Barrel? I'm assuming it's a bit cheaper.

Being military I get 10% off. I think. It's nice. Anyway, foods cheap thus you get what you pay for. Cracker Barrel is more "homestyle" but if you need something fast that doesn't taste bad then WH is the place to go.

Buttermilk waffle + chocolate chip = oh, it's SOOOOOO good.
Eggs are kinda oily.
Sausage has plenty of spice.
Hashbrowns however you like them.
Chili is good.

Try it. I might OC in there and see what happens cuz I'm "kinda" regular. At least the waitresses recognize that I'm the "coffey and water, today?" and some even just jump to the "buttermilk waffle?" So I might try it and see what happens. The manager cooks alot of times too so I might chit chat with him at some point.

rotorhead

I went inside the a Waffle House in Spring Lake yesterday (the one accross the street from the new WalMart) but before I went in I did notice the yellow sign outside. To me, it's far enough away from the door not to be considered (by me) to mean it's not conspicuous enough to apply to the inside portion of the property. To me, the entire sign seems to apply to the parking area.

So, inside I went and sat down. My son and I ordered and waiting for the munchies to arrive. During our wait I spotted what looked like a shift manager so I asked the question "Ma'am, I'm carrying a weapon and noticed your sign outside in the parking lot. Does that sign mean that I cannot be inside here, as well?".

She never batted an eye at the mention of my gun, nor did anyone get alarmed. She said the signs were out there to keep people from hanging around in the parking lots. I then asked if there was a sign inside to indicate that weapons were not allowed inside. She said "don't worry about any signs in here, you're perfectly fine, hun."

While I appreciated the sentiment, I did mention that if it was illegal for me to be in there then I didn't want to open myself up to any charges. She told me not to worry, I was fine.

Aighty, close enough for me lol.

My real question that results from a conversation like that is am I "illegal" if I have permission from the HMIC of a business to be there? I understand the double standard, and all of that stuff, but is it actually ok to be in a business under an owner's (or designated representative) blessing even though signs are posted.

I mean, after all, it is their business, right?

Now normally I turn around and go away at the first sign sighting. I don't like messing with the implications nor do I make it a habit of supporting businesses with those signs up. In this case, I just wanted to see it through and see where the discussion went.

Sc0tt

I have heard of busniess owners posting gun busters signs but allowing regualr customers to carry and even CC without permits on thier property.

I do not know the legality of it but in theroy your property your rules?

I do know that you can CC on your own property without a permit, I wonder if right exstend to allowing others to as well?

Last edited:

rotorhead

I have heard of busniess owners posting gun busters signs but allowing regualr customers to carry and even CC without permits on thier property.

I do not know the legality of it but in theroy your property your rules?

I do know that you can CC on your own property with a permit, I wonder if right exstend to allowing others to as well?

You can cc on your own property without a permit.