• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preemption over town/city/county parks?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The case cited was specific to Lee County and can at best be used for other buildings that have both court and non-court county government offices within the same building.

To give you an example, the John Marshall Courts Building in downtown Richmond houses not only the General District and Circuit Courts but several other City department offices. Per the decision in Lee County v. Edward Bacon the "courthouse" areas in the John Marshall building should start as you get off the elevators or open the stairwell doors on those (i think it is three)floors. The rest of the building should not be restricted as to items prohibited by law or local court rule -- yes, judges can say what does or does not come into their baliwick. Some have, for instance, ruled "no flip-flop sandals" just because they hate the noise they make.

Until and unless someone challenges the situation it will continue to fly in the face of what should be settled case law. That someone needs standing - to have actually been affected by the way the locality handles things as opposed to how it should have been under Lee County v. Edward Bacon. As I try to stay out of courthouses on general principles, I am not a likely candidate to press the issue.

stay safe.

skidmark