• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper transport of a gun to the range (no CHP)

ocholsteroc

I'm not sure why everyone is pushing for a locked container and everything else. You can holster up (loaded or unloaded), and keep it on your hip as long as clothing does not cover the weapon (for those without a CWP). This is the easiest way to transport through VA.

Federal Law, school zone... It's so dumb! but you can drive a car through a school zone.

Last edited:

TFred

Federal Law, school zone... It's so dumb! but you can drive a car through a school zone.
There are no exemptions to the Federal GFSZA for "driving a car through a school zone". If you are not "permitted", then the simple act of driving a car within 1000' of any part of school property (no matter whether the road is contiguous to the property, or completely isolated and detached and un-viewable) is a violation. This is one of the main reasons that make the GFSZA such an egregious law.

You are likely to commit multiple felonies per day, and not even be aware of it.

TFred

ocholsteroc

There are no exemptions to the Federal GFSZA for "driving a car through a school zone". If you are not "permitted", then the simple act of driving a car within 1000' of any part of school property (no matter whether the road is contiguous to the property, or completely isolated and detached and un-viewable) is a violation. This is one of the main reasons that make the GFSZA such an egregious law.

You are likely to commit multiple felonies per day, and not even be aware of it.

TFred

I ment to say is, you can drive a car 'vehicle' which is just as dangerous. Sorry I forgot to add that.
I remember this story on the news a few years ago some 17 year old had scissors or some small pair of blade lass than 2 inchs and got expelled from school, BUT he drove his car to school everday. So a pair of scissors or knife I forgot which, is more dangerous than a car? lol stupid. And on top of that, I think he was a Eagle Scout, and the scissors/knife was in his car in his first aid kit....

Then wouldn't you say that Virginia allows us to keep a gun in a secured container in a car in this state, but really its 'entrapment'????????? :confused:

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

No. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

How so?

Federal law say no guns 1000 foot of school grounds. (which is stupid, people live so close to school zones and they own guns in their houses)

Virginia law says OC is legal in our state and we can have a handgun in our car in a closed compartment.

I know some people live near school zones and can not escape them.

Last edited: