• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposed Wisconsin Carry Law

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

If I may suggest and yes it is open for comment,

Channel 26 News in Green bay always says they are in our corner. Lets make them live up to that statement.
Fox 11 News says they are well balanced. Only if they tell both sides of the story.
And all of the others do the same thing.

Lets make them tell our story.

What if we were to go to major news stations throughout the state and show them,

This:

In Hamdan the Court declares that statute 941.23 (prohibition of concealed carry)is constitutional because it restricts the manner of carry and not carry per se. It also states that the legislature made statute 941.23 a strict liability statute. Only a peace officer can carry a concealed weapon. There are no exceptions, including the activities contained in Article I section 25. Then the Court makes it's final decision that the application of 941.23 in Hamdan's case is unconstitutional as it applies to the Court's abbreviated definition of security. Security being one of the activities contained in the amendment.

Only one justice got it right. A portion of his opinion follows:

¶99. N. PATRICK CROOKS, J. (concurring/dissenting). For the reasons set forth
below, I respectfully concur/dissent, since I agree with the majority's result
that Hamdan's conviction should be reversed, but I dissent on the majority's
action in remanding this matter.
¶100. The majority in this case improperly reads exceptions into Wis. Stat.
§941.23 in order to hold that it is constitutional. Such exceptions to the
statute should not be made by this court, but by the legislature. Looking at the
statute itself, I conclude that Wis. Stat. §941.23 has become unconstitutional
with the passage of Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution. I agree
with Chief Justice Abrahamson's dissent that the majority erroneously assigns to
a court, rather than a jury, the task of determining factual issues involving
whether a defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon is available to a
defendant.
¶101. I agree with her dissent that this court should not attempt to engraft
exceptions onto Wis. Stat. § 941.23, in order to try to make it conform to
constitutional strictures. Chief Justice Abrahamson's dissent, ¶115. If the
statute does not conform to the Wisconsin Constitution, as amended, then the
statute is unconstitutional. See State v. Zarnke, 224 Wis. 2d 116, 139-140, 569
N.W.2d 370 (1999); State v. Hall, 207 Wis. 2d 54, 82, 557 N.W.2d 778 (1997).
¶102. I strongly disagree, however, with Chief Justice Abrahamson's conclusion
that the statute survives the constitutional amendment and remains
constitutional. In light of Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution,
I conclude that Wis.Stat.§941.23 is unconstitutional because it is unnecessarily
broad and rigid now and provides no exceptions as it is written. The statute is
not a reasonable exercise of the state's police power

This is obviously a response that has been given little attention in an effort to make it go away.

And This:

1. Any adult, or emancipated minor may possess a firearm and choose any manner OC/CC. Said individuals do not have a duty to retreat anywhere they may lawfully be. We accomplish this by simply repealing 941.23 and the vehicle transport statutes, then passing a castle doctrine.

2. No landlord may post or restrict.

3. A reciprocity permitting system with the other states. The system shall have required training for the reciprocity permit received at the time of purchase of the firearm or the reciprocity permit from a FFL dealer. The cost will be no more than $25.00 for the permit and the training. These permits are for reciprocity only (carrying outside of Wisconsin) and shall be issued within 30 days, no permit/training is required for OCW. No permit/training required for CCW in Wisconsin after repealing 941.23

4. If any individual has a defensive gun use and is found not criminally liable by court order or investigation, they are granted immunity from civil prosecution.

5. The penalty for violating a permit holders rights (unlawful posting, unlawful detainmentfor example) is a $5,000 fine per permit holder per occurrence. This applies to ALL individuals including LEO who are individually responsible for said forfeiture.

6. If you loose your abilityto legally possess a firearm, then you loose the permit. This is the ONLY way to loose the permit.

7. The issuing authority is not liable for the acts of permit holders.

We need to get this out there so the general public can see it. I am sure there are many others that would agree with this proposal. We need to gain their support as well.

It is as simple as asking for the repealing of the firearms laws in this state or having those laws amended or removed.

We will have to do some explaining to do to the media of course, to make the issue perfectly clear.
It is evident that even though the SCOTUS and the SSC have intentionally not been clear on these issues, that the laws are on in our favor.

If a SC Justice believes that these laws are unconstitutional and the Milwaukee DA apparently feels the same way and is afraid of the outcome. What does that tell you?
We need to get to work fast.

Maybe with some media pressure, these candidates and legislators would have to man up.

Either way I do think that by using the media anyway we can, we will get the word out much faster. There is less than a year before the election process goes into full swing. That is not much time. We need to keep up the pressure.

There will be legal challenges to these laws as well in the coming year, but the media attention is a tool we need to use in our favor and not theirs(the anti's).

If they do not tell our side then we protest in front of their offices, state wide.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Madison will still wish to prevent concealing for unlawful purposes. We do not need to strike the law in its entirety if we merely add reasonable exceptions (for any lawful purpose for just 1 possibleexample).

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Madison will still wish to prevent concealing for unlawful purposes. We do not need to strike the law in its entirety if we merely add reasonable exceptions (for any lawful purpose for just 1 possibleexample).
As in? I mean, could you please write the statute as you are suggesting? So we can see it in writing.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Laws only affect the law abiding. A law against an unlawful practice is an oxymoron.

Only an eager statist would claim to know the mind of 'Madison' or that it is meaningful.
That is an extraordinary stretch even for you... These 2 convoluted points are full of fail..... :lol:

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Example:

Change this,

941.23Carrying concealed weapon. Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state-certified commission warden.

To this,

941.23Carrying concealed weapon. Any person who unlawfully or for unlawful purposes goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Self defense or personal protection does not constitute unlawful possession.(My version)

or This,

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this
section:

(a) “Encased” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (b).
(ac) “Firearm” does not include any beebee or pellet−firing
gun that expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any
starter pistol.
(am) “Motor vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (35).
(b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).
(c) “School zone” means any of the following:
1. In or on the grounds of a school.
2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.
(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
guilty of a Class I felony.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm:
1. On private property not part of school grounds;
2. If the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so
by a political subdivision of the state or bureau of alcohol, tobacco
and firearms in which political subdivision the school zone is
located, and the law of the political subdivision requires that,
before an individual may obtain such a license, the law enforcement
authorities of the political subdivision must verify that the
individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
3. That is not loaded and is:
a. Encased; or
b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
4. By an individual for use in a program approved by a school
in the school zone;
5. By an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
between a school in the school zone and the individual or an
employer of the individual;
6. By a law enforcement officer or state−certified commission
warden acting in his or her official capacity; or
7. That is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while
traversing school grounds for the purpose of gaining access to
public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school
grounds is authorized by school authorities.
8. By a person who is legally hunting in a school forest if the
school board has decided that hunting may be allowed in the
school forest under s. 120.13 (38).

To this,

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this
section:

(b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).
(c) “School zone” means any of the following:
1. In or on the grounds of a school.
2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.
(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly possesses a firearm unlawfully or for unlawful purposes, at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
guilty of a Class I felony.
Self defense or personal protection does not constitute unlawful possession.(My version)

Hmmm, doesn't seem that difficult to do, if these legislators can't get the job done, I say we fore their arses and I will rewrite these laws for free!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
To this,

941.23Carrying concealed weapon. Any person who unlawfully or for unlawful purposes goes armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Self defense or personal protection does not constitute unlawful possession.(My version)
I ANAL, doesn't the judgment call prohibition on 'unlawful' give cause for a cop stop? Intent, lawful or unlawful, is in the sole purview of the trier of fact, judge or jury.

Any changes made to existing law must coordinate with existing law, something that is beyond my ex-NCO paygrade (retired GS-12 equivalent to O-4, LCDR).

I was responding to the original and unedited version of your post.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
To this,

I ANAL, doesn't the judgment call prohibition on 'unlawful' give cause for a cop stop? Intent, lawful or unlawful, is in the sole purview of the trier of fact, judge or jury.

Any changes made to existing law must coordinate with existing law, something that is beyond my ex-NCO paygrade (retired GS-12 equivalent to O-4, LCDR).

I was responding to the original and unedited version of your post.
I agree with what you are saying, I simply wrote that in such a way as to allow everyone to understand the point I was making.

comp45acp

imported post

Meanwhile in Kansas, after 3 years of having a carry law in place, there is no mayhem in the streets, no road rage shootings at traffic jams, no shootings at Christmas pageants as was predicted by their (then) governor and our own pitiful excuse of one here. Once again proving that responsible citizens remain responsible citizens when they carry firearms.

http://www.kansas.com/196/story/1072955.html?storylink=omni_popular

M

McX

imported post

Forget Barret Nutczy. I'm not interested in talking to anyone who is not an ally. Who are we backing? I'll make my voice heard on election day! Give me some names to go with.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

comp45acp wrote:
Meanwhile in Kansas, after 3 years of having a carry law in place, there is no mayhem in the streets, no road rage shootings at traffic jams, no shootings at Christmas pageants as was predicted by their (then) governor and our own pitiful excuse of one here. Once again proving that responsible citizens remain responsible citizens when they carry firearms.

Remember dope smoking hippies don't like guns & Gov Doyle the potato head is talking about legalizing "Medical" Pot.:?

Teej

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Remember dope smoking hippies don't like guns & Gov Doyle the potato head is talking about legalizing "Medical" Pot.:?
Well, I guess it may not be the popular opinion around here, but that might be just about the only move he's made that I agree with.

I'm not a smoker (of pot or tobacco), medical or otherwise but the amount of money wasted fighting pot is ridiculous.

Not a scientific sample by any means but I know more people whose votes are pushed left by pot politics than pushed right by gun politics.

Let 'em have their weed, I say. Then when the next election rolls around, they'll be munching cheetos and watching spongebob while we pass better gun laws.

Only problem I foresee is the traffic jams at the taco bell drive through. :D

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

It would appear that I am now being harassed by Hant T. the Troll through PMs.
Since he could not make his point here in the forum he has resorted to immature antics instead.

Way to go Hank Troll.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Since he could not make his point here in the forum he has resorted to immature antics instead.

Way to go Hank Troll.
now you just delete his messages, don't open then.:D

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Way to go Hank Troll.
I wondered where they, HenriettaTG and its sockpuppet/master, had gotten off to. They used that tactic on me. Maybe what stopped them was just posting their drivel in the forum and to the owner/mods.

Where does the sockpuppet master put his hand to make his puppet 'go', and which is puppet and which is master?

M

McX

imported post

Sigh, well another month has gone by. And no powers that be have made any statements to the public affirming our rights. I got this bad feeling one day you'll be coming to visit me at the old folks home, and saying: Mr. McX, we got it! We got official legal Open Carry. And I'll say: What's that sonny, you got a new canary? Speak up boy!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

comp45acp wrote:

Thanks for the link. The article had a very interesting section: it talked about how the dire predictions of gunfights over parking spaces haven't come true, but also that another prediction hasn't panned out;

Another prediction that hasn't come true is the number of concealed-carry licenses. In the spring of 2006, Journey said he expected about 48,000 Kansans, or 2 percent of the population, would obtain concealed-firearm licenses in the first four years. In the first three years, about 23,000 people have gotten licenses, according to state records. "A lot of people wanted the option (of carrying a concealed weapon), but they probably decided not to do it," Journey said. The cost of obtaining a license — including a $150 application fee and a roughly $100 training course charge —"are prohibitive for a lot of people," Journey said. He expects an effort during the upcoming legislative session to lower fees.
<Begin Sarcasm>
Maybe we should have to pass a background check, take a class in grammar and writing style,
and pay a fee to exercise our freedom of speech. Call it a "Lip License" Or how about bringing back the poll tax to weed out those undesirable voters.... Might be a real profit maker for the state.... :banghead: :monkey</End Sarcasm>

[align=center]
28wpkpl.jpg

[/align]
Dave