• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public service announcement for New Year's Eve

ODA 226

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Fractured left ankle once, one tib/fib fracture left leg, both knees injured right knee requiring surgery, right shoulder damaged requiring surgery, multiple sprains, one spinal compression and one concussion.

Most of these injuries were beyond my control, like getting a JMPI stating you'll be dropped at 1000' AGL with zero illum with full equipment and then we got dropped at 500' AGL.....no fun!

There's been other times the wind at ground level was 3-5 knots and the winds at altitude were 30-gusting to 40 knots....hit the trees....no fun!

I think the worst one was jumping into Germany in the middle of a cloud burst at night with zero illum and landing in the middle of a field that had just been covered with the most WONDERFUL smelling cow-poo-poo....no fun at all!

Only 56 jumps logged herebut none military - all recreational. Recreational meaning I jumped only in conditions I wanted to jump in. No injuries, even minor. Not even a twisted ankle. I landed on my ass a few times but well over 90% of my jumps have resulted in beautiful landings. I'm also under a nice, slow, Manta ram-air canopy; nothing high performance that would bring me in at 30mph.

Most of my jumps were with a military MC1-1B, a canopy that gives you forward some thrust, but when jumping with equipment, the average guy will fall at a rate of about 12' per second. If you have to ride your rucksack in, (usually 120-140 lbs.) you're in big trouble. It happened to be a few times...either my quick release jammed or as in the case of being dropped unknowingly at 500 AGL, I hit like a big sack of poopy.

Jumping an unsteerable T-10 was even worse, especially when we were jumping 12 guys on a 6 second drop zone. You basically are at the mercy of the wind no matter how hard of a slip you pull! :shock:

hopnpop

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Jumping an unsteerable T-10 was even worse, especially when we were jumping 12 guys on a 6 second drop zone. You basically are at the mercy of the wind no matter how hard of a slip you pull! :shock:

I couldn't drink enough or you pay me enough to jump under one of those! :lol:

darthmord

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
...thinking that when skydiving, term velocity, depending on your gear and position, is ballparked at around 120mph. I certainly wouldn't even want to get hit with 115grs of lead travelling at that speed (especially to the noggin).

@ 120 Mph (aka: 176 feet per second), that would be painful to say the least.

Also, there is this wiki link regarding Terminal velocity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

There's also a link to a study and a reference to a 150 grain bullet being dropped.

I will say this... it doesn't matter *what* the object is... getting hit with it at 120 mph is going to hurt like hell. It's a lot like asking which would be worse... getting hit by a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers. Neither. They are both one ton and it's going to hurt a lot.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

darthmord wrote:
Also, there is this wiki link regarding Terminal velocity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

There's also a link to a study and a reference to a 150 grain bullet being dropped.

I will say this... it doesn't matter *what* the object is... getting hit with it at 120 mph is going to hurt like hell. It's a lot like asking which would be worse... getting hit by a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers. Neither. They are both one ton and it's going to hurt a lot.
There is also a link URL to Glen Elert's hypertextbook.com.

Glen inspired my first bicycle. He rode a vanguard towing a BOB. I had Greg Peek of Longbikes (among other fabrication businesses) build me, in 1994 or so, a Vanguard design but to my specs; hydraulic disk brakes, zero dish wheels, 160 mm OLN 40 spokes rear, both on Phil Woods FSA hubs. A weld cracked a couple of years ago and I retired the frame after about 40K miles.

buster81

imported post

Here are two guys from the Chesterfield Physics Olympics team.

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2010-01-13/News_Briefs/Celebrating_the_new_year_with_a_bang.html

Celebrating the new year with a bang

A couple of New Year’s Eve revelers got a little carried away with their partying, potentially endangering others.

Shortly before midnight on Dec. 31, Eric H. Hunt, 24, of the 6300 block of Jefferson Davis Highway in Chesterfield, allegedly fired into the air about a block from his home. An officer patrolling the area at the time located Hunt and charged him with the discharge of a firearm in a public place and reckless handling of a firearm.

In a separate incident, Alejandro E. Martinez, 35, of the 1300 block of Morreene Road in Durham, N.C., also is accused of firing a gunshot into the air in the 4200 block of Litchfield Drive in Chesterfield shortly after midnight on Jan. 1. Again, an officer patrolling in the area charged Martinez with the discharge of a firearm in a public place and reckless handling of a firearm.