• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pulled over

ainokea

imported post

Utah laws only requires you to notify the officer if you have a concealed firearm. However, from a personal experience I have had being pulled over and unarmed I did not inform the office that I had a CCW. Upon his return with my drivers license he was veryupset that I didn't tell him I had a CCW and wanted to search my car for a weapon. I explained to him that I was not in possession of a firearm. At that point he told me that your CCW is linked through your drivers license and vehicle registration and for my safety it is advised that you always notify the officer that you have a CCW. He asked again if he could search my vehicle. I declined to let him. He then informed me that I would have to wait for a K9 unit to arrive to sniff the exterior of my car unless I let him search it. I was not in a hurry so I said I'll wait for the K9. The K9 cop arrived and was very polite he didn't even get the dog out of the car he came up to my window and I explained the situation to him. He then went back and talked to the officer that pulled me over and after about 2 or 3 min the officer that pulled me over came up to my window and handed my DL back to me and told me to have a nice night. That was it not even a speeding ticket!!

I think like most encounters it just depends on the officers mood when you get pulled over.

scorpioajr

imported post

brokenarrows wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
swillden wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:
Required or not- JUST TELL THEM. Really. Think on it.

If you don't, and it comes out during further interaction, they're going to be on a whole new level of curious about you.
I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, telling them seems to be the way to make things go most smoothly.

On the other hand, if you're legally not required to tell them, then they have no reason to expect that you will, and should know how to deal with that appropriately.
And I agree with you 100%.... while not REQUIRED if not carrying concealled, it would seem to be a way to help things go smoothly.

I wonder....

CFP Holder, "Officer, I am NOT required to tell you that I am open carrying with a concealled firearm permit."

Officer, "YOU ARE REQUIRED TO TELL ME IF YOU HAVE A CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT!"

DFP Holder, "Officer, please accept this copy of the regulation and here also is AG Shurtleif (sp)'s transcript of testimony to the Utah State legislature on a related matter."

Seems like it is just going to fall on deaf ears most of the time....:banghead:

Joe Sparky
is it really an issue? can you just advise the officer in polite way that you are carrying or have a permit either way? what does it cost you????
$20.00 says this dude is a cop. Listen to his posts: No patience. Immature. AND an unwillingness to see ANY perspective but his, BLINDLY.... (Not all Cops are like that of course, just the ones that were picked on in high-school.)

scorpioajr

imported post

scorpioajr wrote:
brokenarrows wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
swillden wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:
Required or not- JUST TELL THEM. Really. Think on it.

If you don't, and it comes out during further interaction, they're going to be on a whole new level of curious about you.
I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, telling them seems to be the way to make things go most smoothly.

On the other hand, if you're legally not required to tell them, then they have no reason to expect that you will, and should know how to deal with that appropriately.
And I agree with you 100%.... while not REQUIRED if not carrying concealled, it would seem to be a way to help things go smoothly.

I wonder....

CFP Holder, "Officer, I am NOT required to tell you that I am open carrying with a concealled firearm permit."

Officer, "YOU ARE REQUIRED TO TELL ME IF YOU HAVE A CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT!"

DFP Holder, "Officer, please accept this copy of the regulation and here also is AG Shurtleif (sp)'s transcript of testimony to the Utah State legislature on a related matter."

Seems like it is just going to fall on deaf ears most of the time....:banghead:

Joe Sparky
is it really an issue? can you just advise the officer in polite way that you are carrying or have a permit either way? what does it cost you????
$20.00 says this dude is a cop. Listen to his posts: No patience. Immature. AND an unwillingness to see ANY perspective but his, BLINDLY.... (Not all Cops are like that of course, just the ones that were picked on in high-school.)
Here we go:

xRapidDavex

imported post

Wow, good job ainokea. At that point in time, did you know that it is illegal for them to search your vehicle without probable cause unless you give them permission?

ainokea

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
Wow, good job ainokea. At that point in time, did you know that it is illegal for them to search your vehicle without probable cause unless you give them permission?
Yes, I was aware that he could not search my car legally without my permission. I also had nothing to hide and in my opinion the officer was some what out of line. Please don't take this the wrong way I have nothing but the utmost respect for LEOs I just knew I had done nothing wrong other then speeding.

eddified

imported post

I think that was the best outcome, not because you didn't receive a ticket, but because the LEO became educated. This is a good thing. This may have helped countless others that eventually get pulled over by this same LEO.

ainokea

imported post

eddified wrote:
I think that was the best outcome, not because you didn't receive a ticket, but because the LEO became educated. This is a good thing. This may have helped countless others that eventually get pulled over by this same LEO.
Thanks, unfortunately I will not be able to futher educate anymore LEOs in this manner because I am always carrying now!! :lol:

eddified

imported post

ainokea wrote:
eddified wrote:
Thanks, unfortunately I will not be able to futher educate anymore LEOs in this manner because I am always carrying now!! :lol:
EVEN BETTER!