• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quaker Steak & Lube just went Anti!

SovereignAxe

Sent this,

Dear Sir,

I am writing to express my displeasure with the recent policy change at your establishment. As a law abiding firearms owner, I find it disturbing when basic rights of such citizens are suppressed. Your "new" policy has done nothing but empower the criminal element that you are trying to keep out. You[r] sign serves no purpose other tha/t/[n] the advertis[e]ment that you and your patrons are unarmed and cannot defend themselves.

Furthermore, it is becoming ever more disturbing that establishments such as this are cho[o]sing to suppress the very rights we as Americans are celebrating during this Independence Day holiday. Remember, you are not bowing to "The Crown" or speaking German because someone took up arms to prevent it.

Please reconsider this sup[p]ressive, anti-American policy.

ARGH, please proofread these correspondence letters before sending them! The last thing we need is to perpetuate the uneducated gun owner stereotype.

Last edited:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Nice "July 4th" timing...

We've all seen the cartoon with the wheelchair-bound veteran at the front of the class during the Pledge of Allegiance and the teacher saying to the bratty student, "here's the man who gave his ability to stand for the pledge so that you would have the right not to..."

We need someone to work up a cartoon that is similar, perhaps showing a military guy in full dress with a .45 on his side, turning away to leave the front of a business with a gun buster sign on the door, and a VERY sad look on his face, and a caption saying something like, "I had to bear arms against the enemies of this country to give you the right to turn me away..."

John has been dabbling in political cartoons... maybe he should give that idea a try!

TFred

Ask and ye shall receive. Is this what you were thinking of?

http://monachuslex.com/?p=1260

wylde007

We've all seen the cartoon with the wheelchair-bound veteran at the front of the class during the Pledge of Allegiance and the teacher saying to the bratty student, "here's the man who gave his ability to stand for the pledge so that you would have the right not to..."
Nothing like a little statist propaganda to keep the proles in line.

45acpForMe

I finally got a reply from the General Manager - the policy is for the NN store only!

The no weapons policy is for our location. Our store has been robbed twice in three years. Our guests have made complaints to our staff and managers when they see guns in our store they feel uncomfortable. I was a victim in our last robbery! I invite you to please come back to our restaraunt but all weapons will have to stay out of the bulding!

Sincerely,

Jim McCracken

My reply:

I am sorry that you were the victim of the robbery! I can understand how a trauma like that could affect your thoughts on the subject. I am guessing that you didn’t feel that great during the robbery and probably were unarmed at the time. Your policy is only putting people like me into that same victim state with no ability to defend ourselves while at your restaurant. Would you prefer your family to be defenseless if the same situation affected them? That is what you are asking me and my family to do by coming to your restaurant unarmed.

I guarantee you that the people that committed those two robberies would not abide by your policy. Your policy only disarms people that would do you no harm and possibly come to your assistance during a crisis. I would guess that it took the police a couple minutes to show up after the robbery. A lot of bad things can happen in that time and I don’t want to wait for the cavalry to show up to save me. Police most often show up after the crime has been committed.

As far as people complaining about feeling uncomfortable, If I am conducting myself in a professional manner doing everything legally why would a complaint about my handgun be valid? I can understand that if people are rowdy, drunk, rude or otherwise you can always ask them to leave and deny them service whether they carry a handgun or not. Why ask law abiding people to leave (or not show up at all) just because they carry a firearm? There are people that have been traumatized by a serious incident like yourself that may be skittish around firearms and then there are hoplophobic people that have an unnatural fear or a gun for no valid reason. Either way their or your fear does not negate my basic human right to defend myself and my family!

I will not sacrifice my family’s safety by disarming. There are plenty of competitors that simply follow Virginia law and allow law abiding people to carry firearms legally in their restaurants. Just this week I have been to the County Grill, China Ocean, Chipotle.

Over my many visits to your restaurant I have talked to four employees about Open Carry and the laws regarding firearms in Virginia. One hostess talked about how her father took her shooting (as I take my daughters) and another waiter talked about purchasing a Glock like the one his Dad let him shoot. There never seemed to be any fear and only curiosity from your staff.

If you would like to discuss some basic handgun safety and handle/shoot a handgun please let me know and I could take you to Lafayette Gun Club so you might understand that the gun is simply a tool and not inherently evil by itself. There are estimated 2.5 million gun uses each year that save/defend innocent life. In many cases the mere sight of the gun stops the criminal from going through with the crime. About 70% of polled convicted felons said that if they knew the person they planned to attack had a gun they would choose a different target. Guns in the hands of good people is the solution to bad guys running amok. In every state that made concealed carry an option crime has dropped.

I hope that you will change your policy sometime soon!

Sincerely,

carsontech

Activist Member
The no weapons policy is for our location. Our store has been robbed twice in three years. Our guests have made complaints to our staff and managers when they see guns in our store they feel uncomfortable. I was a victim in our last robbery! I invite you to please come back to our restaraunt but all weapons will have to stay out of the bulding!

Sincerely,

Jim McCracken

Holy Jebus. This is a textbook case of someone thinking a "no guns" sign/policy is going to keep guns out. I hope this guy realizes his mistake in logic, or that the letters/emails wake him up to reality.

Last edited:

TFred

Sincerely,

Jim McCracken

Translation into "real world" meaning:

The no weapons policy is for our location. Our store has been robbed twice in three years, and it was so much fun, we've decided to change our policy to make it even more likely that an armed robbery will take place here again. We have put up signs to assure our robbers that they will be absolutely safe during their robbery, and they will know that there is no chance any of our staff or customers will be able to defend themselves or put them in any sort of danger at all.

Good luck if you come here to eat, you might get shot, but hey, at least you won't see any guns until right before that happens!

Sincerely,

One heck-of-a-deluded store manager.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't think there are any franchised QS&L's and I doubt they have Corporate permission for that policy. Letters would be better directed to the District Manager instead of the local Restaurant.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
That's too bad that the management of this restaurant has such an ignorant position on his employees and customers having firearms in the restaurant. Fortunately I know this type of place is a rarity and some even permit their employees to carry. Just last week I was at one of my favorite local lunch places when the owner / chef was out of the kitchen talking to me and others in the dining room. As the gentleman turned away his chef coat rose up a bit revealing what appeared to be a pistol holster tucked away nicely beneath the coat. Neither the wife nor I, nor any of the open carriers I've seen in this place have ever had an issue (to my knowledge) and it sure is comforting to know that the owner is prepared to deal with predators too, if necessary.

45acpForMe

Website complaint

I just went to the website and submitted a complaint:

I would like to know the corporate policy regarding carrying firearms in your restaurants. Please reply to (email address). The Newport News Virginia restaurant has posted a no weapons sign in their window. I talked to the manager Jim McCracken and he said the ban was local only. People in Richmond have no ban at their restaurant. Virginia is an open carry state and allows law abiding citizens to carry a firearm most places they go. I carry one each day and have had no problems at other restaurants like Olive Garden, Chili's, etc where they simply follow state law. I would like to know if the local manager has the authority to set such a policy that affects my God given right to self defense.

Marco

I don't think there are any franchised QS&L's and I doubt they have Corporate permission for that policy. Letters would be better directed to the District Manager instead of the local Restaurant.

Don't know if the NPN location is franchised or corp but they do franchise...
http://thelube.com/franchise_development/

A few letters/calls/emails to corp might get this fixed:

Quaker Steak & Lube®
101 Chestnut Street
Sharon, PA 16146
Corporate Office: 724-981-3123
Fax: 724-981-5946
http://www.thelube.com/qsl/contact_us_form.cfm

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't know if the NPN location is franchised or corp but they do franchise...
http://thelube.com/franchise_development/

A few letters/calls/emails to corp might get this fixed:

Quaker Steak & Lube®
101 Chestnut Street
Sharon, PA 16146
Corporate Office: 724-981-3123
Fax: 724-981-5946
http://www.thelube.com/qsl/contact_us_form.cfm

Thanks for looking that up Marco!
We had to have a sit down meeting with the District Manager here after he talked to Corporate. I assumed (That Word again:lol:) it was the same everywhere.