• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about a LEO stop while OC'ing.

Gunslinger

While funny (thanks for the chuckle), such action would qualify as "acting like an ass" that was bemoaned earlier in this thread. I advocate for the carrier being the rational adult in the situation, pressing for his rights calmly and matter-of-factly.

I concur, as I don't like sesame chicken...

Gunslinger

Hopefully, prior notification to the local LEO of an event where there is going to be an above average number of armed citizens congregating would help determine the level of a response to a 911 call.

That response should be "we know and nothing illegal is going on. Thank you for your call." Your forethought should have made that clear.

Gunslinger

Do you call the cops to tell them your church is going to hold services on Sunday where the preacher will deliver a sermon saying living beyond one's means is just as bad for the government as it is for a family?

Do you call the cops to tell them that next Thursday Mrs. McGillicuddy is going to teach third-graders about how a law comes into being?

Even worse, do you call the cops to tell them that you and your friends are going to meet at the gun club/indoor range/ your abandoned quarry range (the one on your own property where your family have been shooting since at least grand-dad's time) to do some target shooting and maybe some practical shooting?

Why are you suggesting that anybody needs to notify the cops that they are planning to do something perfectly legal and non-confrontational?

Had you suggested that someone discreeetly check with the restaurant management to ensure that they 1) can accommodate the expected number of diners and 2) that they are not opposed to lawful open carry, then I would say those are good suggestions.

But to suggest that one ought to/needs to notify the cops ahead of time that they are going to do something legal because it might scare the horses? Never!

Since nobody bothered to mention a "Gun Ownership Is Not A Crime" parade, or a neighborhood litter pick-up, we are not going to discuss those things. Parades usually require permits, and litter pick-ups usually are coordinated between 2 or 3 municipal/state agencies to ensure proper resource management, traffic and participant safety, and even that PR opportunities are not missed.

stay safe.

Panic striken MWAG calls are highly unlikely in your examples. Unless Mrs. Migillicuddy is carrying a SIG. NAVY 04 was obviating the cops responding to some subject wetting their pants and creating a nuisance when none was desired. Seems a practicable idea to me