• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Arlington Co. wait time

Gregory

imported post

Cowboy8467 wrote:
Gregory wrote:
Cowboy8467 wrote:
Not a bad idea, I want them to know that I'm paying attention to the amount of time they're taking. Thanks to everyone who's already gone through it for letting me know!

I got the impression from the guy that he had forgotten about it so I don't think that he was intentionally waiting, guy sounded younger on the phone (Im 35). Shoot, call at 30 days and see what happens, maybe you will get it early. :celebrate

GWRedDragon

imported post

Someone else can complain about the '4 copies' thing, but personally I don't care. When I went to do it, I went to the website and read the requirements, got the application notarized and copied elsewhere, and showed up with everything the way they request.

And, of course, they were willing to give me the temporary permit when I showed up and asked for it on day 47.

Having read on the website the ridiculous fingerprinting hours, I arrived at the courthouse to apply at the beginning of those hours.

For me at least, the 'requirements' were no additional burden, so I'm not going to complain. When I see these 'requirements', what I feel most is lucky because I have heard stories of the application process in other states where people are routinely denied based on the whim of some official. Here, I followed the instructions and easily got the permit, and aside from perhaps a very minor misreading, the process conformed with the law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Someone else can complain about the '4 copies' thing, but personally I don't care. When I went to do it, I went to the website and read the requirements, got the application notarized and copied elsewhere, and showed up with everything the way they request.

And, of course, they were willing to give me the temporary permit when I showed up and asked for it on day 47.

Having read on the website the ridiculous fingerprinting hours, I arrived at the courthouse to apply at the beginning of those hours.

For me at least, the 'requirements' were no additional burden, so I'm not going to complain. When I see these 'requirements', what I feel most is lucky because I have heard stories of the application process in other states where people are routinely denied based on the whim of some official. Here, I followed the instructions and easily got the permit, and aside from perhaps a very minor misreading, the process conformed with the law.
Fortunately, others preceding you did not allow other extra-legal requirements like SS#, interviews and personal references to stand. These extras are illegal by statute and are a burden to most.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

We are not"lucky" that we enjoy the benefits of shall issue - such is the result of a lot of hard work by many, not the least of which are the volunteers of VCDL.

Glad you got your CHP; however, the process did NOT conform with the law.

Yata hey

GWRedDragon

imported post

Well, I'm really just saying it's no big deal for me personally.

If someone else sees the extralegal requirements as onerous and wishes to challenge them, I'm not going to complain about that.

I see it kinda like providing your SSN on the ATF purchase form...I do it anyway, even though it is not required, because it isn't a big deal. If someone else decides not to provide it, that's fine too.

Cowboy8467

imported post

As a follow up to this thread I thought I would mention that I just received an email from the Arlington County Circuit court to tell me that my CHP was ready for pickup. So that means that that it took them a little less than a month to process my application.

I have to say that I am pretty pleasantly surprised considering some of the horror stories I had heard about Arlington Co.! :celebrate