• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about getting drawn on by police

hermannr

Hej Citizen: You just jogged my memory...the last time I was stopped by a LA county Sheriff, he walks up and asks me if I knew I had a warrent out for my arrest....say WHAT! I hadn't even been in the country for 3 months.

What had happened, (this happened in 1963) I was taking my 58 Ford retractable HT up to Canada to visit relatives, (and show off my fancy car). As I was leaving LA county on my way up, I was stopped for a license plate light not working. While the Sheriff's deptuty was writing up the citation, I repaired the light, and showed him.

The deputy says all you have to do in go down to HQ and they will sign off it is repaired. I won't cost you anything. I told him I wasn't going to even be in the country for at least 3 month, and that I may never be in the county again. He just said get it check off at HQ. and left. well, I wasn't going to wait until the next day, drive 100 miles out of my way, so I just continued north...

Well, when I came back it cost me $50 to clear that license plate light problem up. (BTW: $50 was a lot of money back then, about like $500 now.)

Last edited:

sharkey

Ya know, we got a cop on ALOC who takes a similar attitude.

Hire lawyers and lobbyists. Fight it out in court and in the legislature, not on the streets.

BRAVO SIERRA!

The law is generally already on our side. We are trying to change the things that need changing, but nothing needs to be done by way of changing the law to stop YOU from breaking it in the ironic name of law enforcement! We should not have to go to court to prove that we did nothing wrong. We should not have to go to court to seek to be made whole because YOU violated our rights.

We should be able to exercise our right without unlawful intrusion. When that unlawful intrusion happens, we should be able to civilly explain it to the errant officer without his stubbornness causing him to shift into authoritarian mode.

Lawyers are used to remedy mistakes by cops on the street. Lobbyists are used to remedy laws that step on our rights. Civil rhetoric is used to prevent the violation of rights on the streets--and will work with officers who are open to reason and who don't go all Haigish with every citizen they stop.

I, for one, will shed no tears if you follow through on your first sentence.

Well said, +1