• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Michigan CPL

SpringerXDacp

It would save you getting your gun taken. I dont recall the cite, but if you dont have your CPL on you, they take the gun, and you have (40?) days to prove you had a CPL or it is lost to forfeit.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(eh...ectname=mcl-28-425f&queryid=2750625&highlight=

(7) A pistol carried in violation of this section is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer. If a peace officer seizes a pistol under this subsection, the individual has 45 days in which to display his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer. If the individual displays his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer within the 45-day period, the authorized employee of that law enforcement entity shall return the pistol to the individual unless the individual is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. If the individual does not display his or her license or documentation within the 45-day period, the pistol is subject to forfeiture as provided in section 5g. A pistol is not subject to immediate seizure under this subsection if both of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The individual has his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card in his or her possession when the violation occurs.

(b) The peace officer verifies through the law enforcement information network that the individual is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol.

xmanhockey7

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(eh...ectname=mcl-28-425f&queryid=2750625&highlight=

(7) A pistol carried in violation of this section is subject to immediate seizure by a peace officer. If a peace officer seizes a pistol under this subsection, the individual has 45 days in which to display his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer. If the individual displays his or her license or documentation to an authorized employee of the law enforcement entity that employs the peace officer within the 45-day period, the authorized employee of that law enforcement entity shall return the pistol to the individual unless the individual is prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. If the individual does not display his or her license or documentation within the 45-day period, the pistol is subject to forfeiture as provided in section 5g. A pistol is not subject to immediate seizure under this subsection if both of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The individual has his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card in his or her possession when the violation occurs.

(b) The peace officer verifies through the law enforcement information network that the individual is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol.

Seems like it might be a good idea to keep the DL and CPL separate.

xmanhockey7

Except Michigan doesn't recognize non-resident out of state permits as valid.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying it might be a good idea to keep your Michigan drivers license and Michigan concealed pistol license separate.

SpringerXDacp

Except Michigan doesn't recognize non-resident out of state permits as valid.

:lol: Hockey means keeping the Michigan drivers license and the CPL separate. As in DL in shirt pocket and CPL in wallet.

ETA: Oops, late on the draw.

Last edited:

Scooter123

Actually, I think we've gotten a bit off track here. MICHIGAN DOES NOT RECOGNIZE NON RESIDENT CARRY PERMITS. It doesn't matter what state you reside in, if you aren't a Florida Resident having a Florida carry permit is not recognized in Michigan. Your friend cannot legally carry in Michigan with any permit from ANY OTHER state because he would be considered a Michigan Resident because of his drivers license. As a part time Arizona resident he may fall into a gray area in the Law, however it will prove to be very expensive to fight that battle in Court and it's likely he could lose. BTW, concealed carry without a permit is a 5 year Felony, not something I would chance getting afoul of. The only exception may be for retired LEO's and that's because it's a Federal provision. Bottomline, your friend should cease carrying until he's obtained a Michigan CPL. I'll also note that he should start avoiding schools on range outings until he has that Michigan CPL because that AZ permit is worthless paper for a Michigan resident and that 1000 foot rule does apply to him.

Now for a bit of good news. Having a Michigan Resident CPL means that you have a permit that is recognized by more states than any other states concealed carry permit. As for the school Gun Free zones, as I understand it these only apply to those individuals that don't have a Resident Concealed Carry permit. Specifically, if you are an Ohio Resident with an Ohio CCW, you can carry in any area in Michgan that someone with a Michigan CPL can carry. Basically, with a resident permit the reciprocity provision means you are under Michigan CPL standards while in Michigan. BTW, as I understand it, this is what reciprocity is all about anywhere, the Laws for the state you are in are what apply, NOT the Laws of your home state. So, when visiting in other states it's essential to study up on that states laws concerning carry. Here in Michigan we can carry in a resuarant that serves alcohol, in some other states that is a violation. On the flip side, some states permit carry in a bar, here in Michigan that isn't legal.

BTW, one minor peeve it that Michigan reconizes every other states Resident concealed carry permits, including New York and all those remaining May Issue states. Frankly, if I were the AG I would tell NY to stuff it and tell them the Donald would have to go weaponless in Michigan. However, it's likely that Michagan is recognized so widely because we recognize every states permits so it's probably a good thing I'm not the AG.

Last edited: